SATA 3 UPGRADE

Busterbvi

Greetings to the forum, I am upgrading my drives to 2 Velociraptor 600gb which are SATA 3, my MOBO is an XFX 790i Ultra which is SATA 2, I am thinking of using the Asus U3S6 2xUSB 3, 2xSATA 6gbs PCIE adapter card. Will this give me SATA 3 connectivity ? anything I should watch out for and will I need special SATA 3 cables ? I have researched on line but cant find a definitive answer, any advice ?

Thanks, busterbvi.

I can get them cheap, 300 bucks for 2, brand new, Would love to go with SSD'S but can't afford it right now. next year maybe when the technology improves !! Thanks for the link Rocketsteer, any constructive help here Ivythos ??

Busterbvi.

Edited by Busterbvi

If your going to SSD, which you should if possible the SATA 6gb/s card will help if they are SATA 6gb/s SSDs but with just the velociraptors you can just plug them into the SATA 3 gb/s ports since mechanical platter drives arent going to max out a SATA 3gb/s.

yeah, i dont think a mechanical hard drive will show much, if any, difference when hooked to sata 2 or sata 3. the limits of the drives due to the moving parts will prevent the useage of the higher speeds

How much is this PCI card your looking at going to cost? can you post link? Might be more cost effective to just upgrade mobos for SATA 6gb/s native support.

Ts631, My MOBO SATA sockets are SATA 2. The Asus card I am looking at is about $30 on Amazon, My boot drive is a 60gb SSD, The Velociraptors are for storage, mainly flight simm software and a few other games (Crysis etc ) I have 3 x PCIE x 16 slots so maybe I could use two cards in the spare slots so I can get SATA 3 conectivity for all 3 drives. ? The Asus cards only have 2 x SATA 3 internal sockets, what do you think ?

Edited by Busterbvi

Ts631, My MOBO SATA sockets are SATA 2. The Asus card I am looking at is about $30 on Amazon, My boot drive is a 60gb SSD, The Velociraptors are for storage, mainly flight simm software and a few other games (Crysis etc ) I have 3 x PCIE x 16 slots so maybe I could use two cards in the spare slots so I can get SATA 3 conectivity for all 3 drives. ? The Asus cards only have 2 x SATA 3 internal sockets, what do you think ?

Well you see the only thing that is going to take advantage of SATA 3 connectivity are SSDs. So if your SSD is SATA 3 then I would probably get the card and use it for the SSD. But as for your velociraptors, even though they say "SATA 3 6gb/s" they are still mechanical hard drives with spinning platters inside and a arm has to move around and read the data. So even if the drive is advertised as SATA 3 connectivity you arent going to see speeds outside SATA 2 or sometimes even SATA 1 just because the mechanical parts are the bottleneck. So you would see the same performance plugging your HDD into the onboard SATA 2 ports as you would plugging them into a SATA 3 card.

So in my opinion if you really want the card and your SSD can saturate a SATA 3 connection than you can but I personally would just leave the Harddrives in the SATA 2 sockets and save the 30 bucks. And if you are willing to spend the $60-70 for two cards you might as well just start looking at updating motherboards.

Here are some links to show some similar situations

My link

My link

My link

Edited by Ts631