GUIDE - MDPC-X SLeeving of individual Cables! by Kamaster

SINGLE SLEEVED WIRE GUIDE BY KAMASTER

MDPC-X SINGLE SLEEVED CABLED AT THEIR FINEST :)

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

I received a request from a member of another forum for a guide on how to single (individually) sleeve your power supply or custom made cables with MDPC-X sleeving and heatshrink. This is my technique and it can be done many other ways :) I find this works well and gives good results (all the heatshrink lines up perfectly).

I have used these techniques on my FERMI 2 build, CHECK IT OUT!!!!!

First you are going to need some tools and tools, heres the list:

1. MDPC-X small sleeving

2. MDPC-X Pre-cut heatshrink (15mm long)

3. 18 Gauge Wire ( I used automotive stuff - seems to have a thicker pvc wall than the regular stuff)

4. ATX male and/or female connector pins

5. ATX pin Crimping tool

6. Ruler

7. Masking tape

8. Pliers (that can cut wire)

9. Wire stripper (preferably like the one i have but standard ones are fine)

10. Measuring tape

11. Good pair of scissors (dont use a cheap pair if you want good results $15-40)

12. Lighter

13. Razor blade (see pic)

14. 1/8" (3mm) Aluminum or any other material 1/8" thick) atleast 3" x 5" in dimensions

15. ATX Connectors (8pin EPS, 4pin P4, 6 pin PCI-E, 8 pin PCI-E (or 6+2pin), 24 or 20 Pin ATX Mobo)

16. Flat working area

17. Heat Gun (with low and high setting)

18. ATX Pin remover

19. A LOT OF PATIENCE!!!!!!! and time (when you master it, it becomes very easy)

Here are some pics of the tools I used...

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

High and low settings (high heat, low heat)

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Edited by KAMASTER
  • Like 1

Before I begin, here are the steps.

1. Cut the 18ga wire to your desired size using the razor blade to mark the wire at the end of the ruler and than cut with pliers)

2. Strip 3mm off each end of the 18ga wire peice using the 1/8" alum sheet and razor blade to mark it first than strip the wire at the marking)

3. Crimp atx connector pins to each end of wire

4. Measure the wire + atx pins (together) from end to end (measure in mm)

5. Take the number you get from step 4 and SUBTRACT 32mm from it

6. Take the number you get from step 5 (number from step #4 MINUS 32mm = number for step # 6) (total length - 32mm = desired length for sleeving)

7. Tape down sleeving and mark it using a razor blade

8. Cut the sleeving with scissors at the marking made at step 7

9. Fish the wire through the sleeving until each pin on each end is outside the sleeving (use the compress and pinch technique to prevent pin getting caught on sleeving)

10. Put the 15mm heatshrink peice over the heatshrink (fish it over top of sleeving)

11. Measure 18.5mm from tip of ATX pin to Starting of sleeving using a ruler

12. Position the heatshrink so that it begins at the beginning of the First crimping flaps (from the tip) ( between the 1st and 2nd crimping flaps) and than continues over top the sleeving.

13. Take the heat gun on LOW settings, and apply heat all around evenly, start where heat shrink is at its widest point. Allow the heatshrink to shrink partially, allow it to touch wire but fully shrink (looks like a balloon).

14. Position heatshrink so that it aligns perfectly at the begining of the first crimping flap (from the tip) (between 1st and 2nd flap) see pics

15. Take the heat gun and apply evenly for a quick second at top, than bottom than sides until heatshrink fully shrinks (you will see the outline of the sleeving threw the heatshrink)

16. Take your nails (index and thumb) and pinch the point where the sleeving ends (where you see it go from being thick to thin(than transition point) )

17. Adjust the amount of heatshrink that is after the sleeving, you may have to pinch at the transition point and pull the sleeving slightly to get the desire amount of heatshrink after the sleeving. (this is important because it will allow for easy seating into the connector) ( with experience you will be able to tell by the look of it)

18. Insert wire into connector (make sure the pointy part of the pin is facing the connectors flaps (where it slips into the other connector)

19. Grab the wire at the thickest point (where the wire + sleev + heatshrink are) and push into the connector until you hear two faint clicks.

20. If it does not go in and falls short, pull it out and repeat step # 16 - pinching the transition point and pulling the sleeving slightly.

21. Repeat for other side

22. Repeat for all other wires and watch all the wires line up perfectly.

STEP # 1

1. Cut the 18ga wire to your desired size using the razor blade to mark the wire at the end of the ruler and than cut with pliers)

Tape one side of a ruler to a flat surface so that it does not move during measurement.

Tape the wire to hold it down so it does not move.

The ruler im using is 30mm (12inches). There are two blank spots on each side of the ruler. (beginning of ruler to 0mm is 4mm long, and from 30mm to end of ruler is 5mm long)

Total length of ruler is 39mm long, and so the wire will be 39mm long (end to end of the ruler)

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Notice how i positioned the razor blad at the edge of the ruler so that it will cut straight.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Notice the slit the razor made marking the spot where to cut with pliers

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

STEP # 2

2. Strip 3mm off each end of the 18ga wire peice using the 1/8" alum sheet and razor blade to mark it first than strip the wire at the marking)

Place the 1/8" thick alumnum sheet so that it sits flat on the table. The entire peice may not sit flat, but use the area at which it does sit flat, this is important.

Place the wire pointing down on the desk and having it up against the 1/8" sheet.

Place the razor on the on the aluminum sheet and make a slit, turn the wire 180° and made a slit on the other side of the wire.

After you do this, line up the wire stripper at the marking and strip 3mm off.

IMPORTANT - make sure the slit is facing you, and the stripper blades are cutting the part where there is no slit. This will make for a clean strip and cut.

If it does not turn out clean, just use the razor blade to clean it up and make it flat.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

Notice the slit made by the razor

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Notice how i am slitting one side with the razor

IMG_0585.jpg

Notice how i am slitting the other side of the wire with the razor

IMG_0586.jpg

Make sure the slit is facing you, if you have the wire in there and you dont see a slit, turn the wire 90° until you see the slit. this is important and saves you a lot of work of cleaning up unever cuts.

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

Exactly 3mm cut off

IMG_0590.jpg

STEP # 3

3. Crimp atx connector pins to each end of wire

Here are two ways you can do your cables.

A way that the ATX connectors locking flaps are facing inwards towards each other.

Wiringsetup-Inwards-B.gif

As i did with my ATX 24 pin connector cable

IMG_0592.jpg

OR

A way that the atx connectors locking flaps face you.

Wiringsetup-Out-A.gif

As i did with my PCI-E 8pin connector cables

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

This is important because the ATX PIN Crimping flaps (pictured below) ALWAYS need to face in the SAME direction that the ATX Connector locking flaps face (pictured above).

If you dont follow this than the wires will not go in as you want them to and the cable will need to be twisted to get it to form in the desired direction!!!

IMG_0598.jpg

For this tutorial, I am using the LOCKING FLAPS FACING INWARDS towards each other, as found on my ATX 24pin mobo connector cable.

STEP # 3 Continued - CRIMPING

Place the ATX pin into the crimping tool, and pull on its tip until you cannot pull it anymore (this makes the crimping flaps butt up against the ridge inside the crimping tool)

Than press down on the handle until you hear ONE CLICK, and stop. This will hold the pin in place.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

Notice which way the ATX PIN crimping flaps are facing, In my case they are facing down, or inwards towards the other side of the wire (see pic below)

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Place the wire into the crimping tool until it cannot go in anymore, I like to look at the other side of the tool to see how far the wire has gone in.

It should go in and be inbetween the 1st crimping flaps (from the tip) (notice the wire (copper looking) in the last pic)

IMG_0610.jpg

Step # 3 Continued

Here is a pic of me placing the wire inside, The crimping flaps are facing inwards (down) towards the other end of the wire.

IMG_0614.jpg

Alas, the crimp complete

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Notice how the crimping flaps are facing inwards towards each other in this next pic

IMG_0618.jpg

More pics of other atx pins. I used the male ones, (the ones above in the pic)

IMG_0597.jpg

Step # 4

4. Measure the wire + atx pins (together) from end to end (measure in mm)

Using a measuring tape, lay it out and have it clip onto an edge or something so that it stays put and doesnt move around.

I start my measurements at 100mm (or 10cm).

The wire + ATX Pins END TO END should measure 326-327mm long

(from 1000 mm to 427mm = 327mm) OR 32.7cm

If you want inches divide by 25.4 mm per inch

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

KEEP THIS NUMBER IN MIND - IT IS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

there are 3 numbers to remember, 327mm, 32mm and 18.5mm!!!!!

you will see why

STEP # 5 AND STEP # 6

Take the number you get from step 4 and SUBTRACT 32mm from it

327mm - 32mm = 295mm Long

STEP # 6

The number you get from STEP# 5 is YOUR SLEEVE LENGTH - (total length tip to tip - 32mm = Desired sleeve length)

295mm is how long the SLEEVE needs to be for this particular wire size.

YOU always subtract 32mm from whatever wire size you have.

So if your wire was 600mm long you would subtract 32mm from that and 568mm is the length of the sleeving you need for that cable!

Step # 7

7. Tape down sleeving and mark it using a razor blade

Using the same concept as when you made a slit in the wire to mark it so u could cut it, do the same for the sleeving.

I start the sleeving at 10mm (1cm)

from 10mm to 300mm is equal to 290mm

There is 5mm of extra overhang on the ruler (from 30cm to the edge of the ruler)

So you take 290 + overhang (5) = 295mm which is the desired length.

your ruler may be different, you may have to adjust accordingly.

Here are the pictures

Run the lighter by the tip of the sleeving. Do it quickly, it does not need to start melting, it just to singe it a little so that it helps prevent fraying. You dont want the sleeving to clump up on the edge by applying excessive heat.

B4 burning the tips of the sleeve

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

After burning the tip of the sleeve (it almost looks the same)

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Lining it up at 10mm (1cm)

IMG_0638.jpg

Notice the 5mm overhang from 30cm to the edge of the ruler

IMG_0639.jpg

Marking it with the razor blade

IMG_0640.jpg

Notice the marking (you need to cut at that marking with good pair of scissors)

IMG_0641.jpg

STEP # 8

Cut the sleeving with scissors at the marking made at step 7

IMG_0644.jpg

Finally the cut end, burn this end with a lighter, only very slightly, you dont want to over burn it and loose length. just skim the lighter on it.

IMG_0648.jpg

STEP # 9

Fish the wire through the sleeving until each pin on each end is outside the sleeving (use the compress and pinch technique to prevent pin getting caught on sleeving)

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

I will post a video on this technique called compress and pinch

make sure the atx pin doesnt get caught on the sleeping and rip it.