Scott P

Finally pulling the trigger

My antique desk has been modified to hold my computer, has been stained and topped with several coats of urethane. Now I need to transplant my parts from my old original P180 into a smaller, sleeker Lian Li PC-A05NB case that will sit inside the desk. Since I am pulling everything out to put this machine in there, I figured I would replace my Vapor-X HD4890 with something more current. I just wanted to solicit some opinions as to which card I should get.

I am not a heavy gamer at all. I really want Starcraft II, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet. Probably the most graphic intense application I have is AutoCAD LT 2010. My HD4890 Vapor-X is more than enough for my needs, but I figured now would be a good time to upgrade. I am planning on adding a 1080p TV as a second monitor for online video streaming. I will also have a 1080p LCD monitor at that point too. Since the computer will be housed in a smaller case inside my desk, I should target something that is efficient and cool.

Right now, I have a Vapor-X 6870 in my Newegg cart. At $200 after rebate, it is at the top of my spending limit. Should I stick with that card, or target something else? I assume this card is an upgrade over my current card and has plenty of headroom for future use. Is there a lower cost option that meets my needs? I'm hoping to place my order on Monday so I can install the fans in the desk and get the guy finally into my office.

Right now, I have a Vapor-X 6870 in my Newegg cart. At $200 after rebate, it is at the top of my spending limit. Should I stick with that card, or target something else?

Since your card is 2 generations old, it will definitely be better, and far less power hungry. (Add another for crossfire and it will even beat a GTX580.)

Though a 6790/6850 is a little cheaper, lower power consuming, and lower performing. (there will always be cheaper cards)

I don't really know what you need performance wise, but the few bucks you save now might make you need to upgrade sooner.

I don't know... but i don't think you need that much performance.

Try the GTX 550 TI, great little card that is plenty powerful for your needs. They also come in different styles with different coolers and colors that can match your theme in your case.

nice case, to bad it tends t o overheat a bit the hdd @ gpu ....

Sell the 4890 and buy a 6950 2GB, and then flash that to a 6970.

nice case, to bad it tends t o overheat a bit the hdd @ gpu ....

That is why I am looking for an efficient and well cooled card. I am limited to 16.75" of case height. I'll have a 200 mm case fan blowing out hot air from the bottom of the desk compartment and a 120 or 140 mm fan blowing air in from in front of my knees. That should keep the air moving. The fans will be powered by the eSata port on the computer.

Sell the 4890 and buy a 6950 2GB, and then flash that to a 6970.

I'm pretty sure that option is over budget and overkill for my needs.

Here's a 6870 from a good OCC'r for $180 : http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=172693

I think for the money you can't go wrong with a 6870 at that price!!

If you must buy new I'd recommend this 6850 for $150 after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908&cm_re=hd6850-_-14-102-908-_-Product

Ivy...Thanks for the suggestion from the for sale forum. I looked earlier, but didn't see anything. I just don't know if it would be that much of a better deal than new. The price doesn't include shipping and I am not a fan of paying the seller for their Pay Pal fees.

Right now, I figure the 6850 or GTX 550 Ti would both be more than enough for my needs. I always think I will buy a new game and get into it, but that never seems to work out. I am still undecided on my choice.

Ivy...Thanks for the suggestion from the for sale forum. I looked earlier, but didn't see anything. I just don't know if it would be that much of a better deal than new. The price doesn't include shipping and I am not a fan of paying the seller for their Pay Pal fees.

Right now, I figure the 6850 or GTX 550 Ti would both be more than enough for my needs. I always think I will buy a new game and get into it, but that never seems to work out. I am still undecided on my choice.

Yeah but he said OBO. Maybe you could work him down, by doing so you'll get a nice discount on the 6870, help him out. (Also will know it will overclock)

If you really don't want a used card, I can't recommend the GTX550 any day of the week. If it's not the 6870, I'd get the 6850 or 460 Core 336.

The other 6850 is out of stock so maybe get this one for $153 after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374&cm_re=hd_6850-_-14-131-374-_-Product

or this 460 for $148 after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162055&cm_re=460_1gb-_-14-162-055-_-Product

You're right, should have done my research. 460 1GB>550TI. That 460 looks cool, but why does the fan swivel out??

No idea, I'm in full agreement in it's high level of strange