Boy, 10, buys The Fridge’s Super Bowl ring, then returns it

the_dude

Anybody else see this? Was it one of the greatest gestures ever or was the kid kind of an idiot? Was the ring even real? Personally, I think the kids sure got a big heart but then again as you read into the article and then read some of the comments it kind of makes him out to be an idiot. :wacko:

Duh... forgot the link

Edited by the_dude

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Boy-10-buys-then-returns-Refrigerator-Perry-?urn=nfl-wp819

A Pittsburgh-area 10-year-old took $8,500 out of his college savings account to buy William "The Refrigerator" Perry's Super Bowl XX ring. And then he gave it right back to its original owner.

With the help of his mother and a hefty college fund, Cliff Forrest Jr. purchased the ring after seeing it at Mickey Mantle's Restaurant in New York. Cliff's father, Cliff Forrest Sr. (above, left), said he wouldn't have approved his son's spending, "but his mother is a little more soft-hearted," he said.

Perry, a former Chicago Bears defensive lineman, had put his ring up for auction in 2007 for reasons unknown.

Soon after buying the ring, the younger Cliff heard about Perry's battle with Guillain-Barre syndrome, an autoimmune disease that can cause paralysis. Figuring the former football star would be happier with the ring, Cliff set out to return it.

"He only played in one Super Bowl," Cliff told "SportsCenter" during an interview earlier this week. "I thought he would want it more than I did."

Cliff was unsuccessful in his attempt to get in touch with Perry. It wasn't until his mother started working the phones and set up a meeting before an autograph session in Chicago that Cliff was able to complete his good deed.

He took a flight to Chicago, met Perry and handed him the ring. In return, Cliff got two signed jerseys with the note "The Fridge, Thanks!" and five signed football cards.

"He was very appreciative and he said, 'thank you,'" Cliff said.

A sports collection website rains on the parade a little by pointing out that Perry's ring sold three years ago at auction for $27,000 and it's unlikely the price would have dropped so much since then. Even if Cliff's ring was a replica though, it doesn't change the kindness behind his action.

And that my friends is how to post a news article.

There was a similar story a while back with Jerry Kramer's Super Bowl 1 ring. The former Packer left it in a airplane bathroom on a flight returning home. He could never find it, so he had a replica made. Until one day John Nitschke son of former Packer Ray Nitschke called Jerry up after seeing it up for auction. Needless to say they contacted the auction company and the ring was returned.

Another interesting fact is that the Super Bowl 1 ring originally had a single emerald in it. When the ring was shown to Vince Lombardi he said "I like the design but whats with the green stone, my boys deserver diamonds!"