4 pin CPU power causes short circuit

Hello, the 4 pin power connector on my mother board appears to be short circuiting, and I'm not sure if the motherboard is shot or if there is a way to fix it. Just to note:

0. There has been no physical damage or modifications to the board, and I hadn't changed out any hardware. It just started doing this out of the blue one day. I had it on the previous night, shut it off, and when I turned in on the next morning it would fail to boot. It will only turn on for a split seconds and the fans will jump a bit but it then shutsdown and cannot be turned back on again until I unplug the PSU or hold the power button (which drains power from board).

1. Yes I have removed all the hard ware and tested it on a bread board, even as much as having absolutely nothing connecting (not even the CPU) and when I have the 24 main power plug in it turns on and fans will spin, but the 4 pin cpu power plug will not allow it to boot no matter what the configuration.

2. I have tested it with multiple PSU's and CPU's and sets of RAM and they all yield the same results, so none of the rest of the hardware is the cause of the problem.

3. I know for a fact it's the 4 pin causing it.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me, it's actually been doing this for while but I had bought a new mother board, a GA G41M combo, unfortunately I spilt water on it, interestingly though, it's doing the same thing that the ep35 is.. The board is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3l that has been running solid for years until now. I have done a lot of searching and have found a ton of posts of people having the same issue, but absolutely no one ever gives an answer to the problem.

Edited by OrangeJuice

Check the motherboard capacitors (if you have elecrolytic ones they can "pop", http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/165280d1266962088-bad-capacitors-samsung-lcd-tv-le40r73bd-bad-caps.jpg)

Otherwise one of the 12V rails might have burned in the PSU (could be a powersurge or something) so try with another psu.

dont plug any harddrives in on that psu until you have confirmed it good again (or just don't risk it at all... data is hard to replace)

Okay wait lets back up because some of what you are saying does not make any sense. You said the system will get farther if the 4 pin is not hooked up. You said you tried multiple PSUs that would mean I would suspect that you have tried a different PSU on the motherboard. if it worked then you might luck out with just a PSU, if however it fails there as well the damage is at the board level. From the way the post is made is sounds like you should already have the info to diagnose this issue.