is it a memtest failure.... Please Help!!!

Hi everyone, a little help please.

First off how reliable is memtest86 version 4.0? the reason i ask is i just purchased a set of Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH and even though i have had absolutely no issues with them for the time they have been installed i decided to run memtest86 4.0 just to make sure they're a good set. low and behold in the first pass of test 7 at 25% it goes crazy with errors (over 100,000 and did not stop) i have tried every possible combination (1 stick or 2 in different slots) and it is always the exact same outcome if necessary i can take a screen shot and post after work later.

could this be a timing issue as i manually set timming to what the set recomends which is 7-7-7-21 2 @ 1.5v

Build is as follows:

gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 rev. 2.2

AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T 2.8GHZ

PALIT NVIDIA GTX 460 DDR5 1GB SONIC PLATINUM (FACTORY OC'D)

CORSIAR TX750

WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT

Edited by dblplay

those numbers are overclocked settings :unsure:

sometimes the manufacturer provides a piece of paper with the memory, they put overclock timings on there

are you running the memory at 1333 t2? you cannot increase the multiplier over what is recommended with those settings

what you need to do is run the memory at stock SPD timings and run memtest again

if it passes, set the memory back to overclock settings and increase the voltage and see if it is stable

Edited by potatochobit

Are you running the USB bootable memtest or cd bootable? The latest cd version appears to be messed up. So i would recommend trying the usb version before drawing any conclusions about the ram.

Also, start testing at stock, then if that does not error cock up to your preference.

potatochobit- those are the timings right of the sticks themselves, i guess i can let the bios set the timings automatically. and run memtest from there. even on the GSKILL website it shows those timings for the memory kit.

Speedcrazy- i am running it from the bootable CD created from an ISO image. i will actually try MEMTEST86+ 4.2 tonight and see if there is a difference. as well as letting the BIOS auto detect and set timings.

thanks for the quick responce guys. I will keep you posted. it is just puzzle's me that i have not had any issues while gaming or doing anything else on the system, you think i would have had at least one hang up or BSOD.

Any other suggestions on memory testing software that is worth trying?

Speedcrazy- i am running it from the bootable CD created from an ISO image. i will actually try MEMTEST86+ 4.2 tonight and see if there is a difference. as well as letting the BIOS auto detect and set timings.

Any other suggestions on memory testing software that is worth trying?

Don't forget to use the USB version of memtest86+! Don't burn it to a disc, it's bugged atm.

As for memory testing software I just use memtest86+ ;)

I used to let it run for 12 hours but it seems like it's overrated, according to posts lately (see topic: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=183715)

Edited by Brutality

Once again thanks for the info everyone, and coincidently last night i tried a pair of Corsair dominators i had rated at 1600 9-9-9-24 2 and guess what the same thing happened. i will try memtest86+ 4.2 USB version tonight as well as prime95 to see what happens. i'll keep you posted

dblplay - good advice from other posters about running Memtest 86+ any version above 4.0 from the USB installer package instead of bootable cd .iso

i had previously confirmed this bug on three different Windows 7 machines running new hardware.

Edited by wevsspot