120Hz; worth the premium?

ekiM

I'm in the market for three new LCDs. Normally, I'd buy some 60Hz IPS panels and call it a day, the difference over TN is staggering. However, I'm told that the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz TN panels is quite noticeable. One of those, 'you can't go back', items.

Now, let me make one thing clear: I have no intention of using 3D technology with these panels, just gaming (Racing, FPS, etc.) So, is it worth my money?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only reason to do 120hz is if you plan to run 3Dvision

other than that, get a nice big monitor or a triple setup if you have money to waste

if you like racing games triple monitors might be what you are dreaming of

the only reason to do 120hz is if you plan to run 3Dvision

I currently have a 60hz 1920x1200 monitor, and I run Bad Company 2 on my GTX 260's in SLI at all low quality, no AA, no AF.

I am not satisfied with my performance, but I am maxing out my monitor's ability (60FPS). The next step is a 120hz monitor. I couldn't care less about 3d. I want to improve my ability to scan left/right for enemies in all the FPS's I play now and in the future. Enjoying a smoother experience in other games and applications in general is a side-benefit.

No doubt 120FPS will require an upgrade, and I do have a P67 system planned for the near future, but it will be worth it, IMO, to enjoy real 120FPS.

I currently have a 60hz 1920x1200 monitor, and I run Bad Company 2 on my GTX 260's in SLI at all low quality, no AA, no AF.

I am not satisfied with my performance, but I am maxing out my monitor's ability (60FPS). The next step is a 120hz monitor. I couldn't care less about 3d. I want to improve my ability to scan left/right for enemies in all the FPS's I play now and in the future. Enjoying a smoother experience in other games and applications in general is a side-benefit.

No doubt 120FPS will require an upgrade, and I do have a P67 system planned for the near future, but it will be worth it, IMO, to enjoy real 120FPS.

Okay first this is not accurate. You are maxing at 60 FPS because of vsync, the monitor can and does support faster display rates. I have a number of 60hz monitors with games running well over 100 FPS.

If you want faster game graphics the monitor will not change that only the video card or CPU.

Okay first this is not accurate. You are maxing at 60 FPS because of vsync, the monitor can and does support faster display rates. I have a number of 60hz monitors with games running well over 100 FPS.

If you want faster game graphics the monitor will not change that only the video card or CPU.

True, you can get applications running at more than 60FPS on a 60Hz monitor but you're monitor still wont display more than 60 FPS - all you'll get is tearing.

Anyway here's a pretty interesting discussion on vsync which google has found. :)

Did you guys know that cinema only displays movies in 23fps?

Its all about frame delay. 60FPS doesn't mean one frame every 1/60th of a second, more likely most have 1/100 delay, and once in a while one has 1/10, the slow ones are the noticeable ones...