Memtest86 failure?

So I've been having errors in memtest 4.0 with these dimms (see sig)

I also tried to bump the voltage by 2 clicks but still errors

Then I decided to test them individually to find the faulty dimm.

But this is what happened after 30 mins of memtest86 (see attachment)

Is it memtest86 which fails or is it because there is erros on the dimm?

Note:

I also tested both dimms together with memtest86+ and got errors.

Edited by Brutality

I see you have been having problems with nearly all your RAM , have you considered maybe using real world gaming to see if you get problems or crashes ?

I see you have been having problems with nearly all your RAM , have you considered maybe using real world gaming to see if you get problems or crashes ?

Well IVIYTH0S told me to test prime95 and I had no errors in 12 hours.. Is memtesting overrated?

I just thought always do a memtest when buying new dimms to see if they are faulty and need to be RMA'd...

EDIT:

Currently I am in school and I set Memtest86+ to test the dimm the fayuled (as in the picture) while I'm in school

UPDATE: Well this is interesting.. when I came home, I didn't come home to error screen on drugs.. I came home to a DIMM, having run for 5½ hours without errors.. So I guess my copy of Memtest86 is screwed... Well I'm gonna see if it will pass for 12 hours (unless you guys think less is enough.. I've always thought why x amount of hours should be run.. why not x amount of passes?)

UPDATE 2: It passed.. no errors for 12 hours.. the other dimm however, failed.

I have always wondered... is it dangerous for the dimms if memtest finds and error and it keeps testing?

BTW:

Have you got some program to tell you when there are new posts here on OCC? Damn you're fast at replying <3

BONUS QUESTION:

If RAM is affected by static electricity. Does it die (i.e. won't work) or does it just get errors?

SUMMARY:

Let's forget about test results from Memtest86 since it seems to be messed up.

So I've tested both dimms with Memtest86+ and got errors

I've done a Prime95 Blend test with Round off error checking with no errors for 12 hours

I tested both dimms, one at a time, and found that one of the dimms was faulty.

Case ended. >_<

I think I'll see if I can get money back for these and then I'm gonna buy some more expensive RAM (I've got 4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 2133MHz in mind... I don't mind dropping 100 bucks or more for RAM.. when I'm used to DDR2 it feels like it's almost free lol :P)

Edited by Brutality

lol keep your ram if it runs fine :rolleyes:

and even if you "upgrade' don't get 2133mhz, HUUUUUGE waste of money (and I'd also lol to the high heavens if those fail memtest also)

Well too late now, already ordered them. I seriously don't mind paying 100 bucks for them, it's not a very big deal. I'm not rich, but really, when I am used to DDR2 which is rather expensive (imo) then it's no problem.

But I mainly bought them because the ones I had were small and felt very fragile (very very uncomfortable to insert and remove into sockets, feels like I'm crushing them - I'd rather have some dimms with a heatsink)

But..

Are you implying that there is no need to memtest RAM?

Edited by Brutality

Well too late now, already ordered them. I seriously don't mind paying 100 bucks for them, it's not a very big deal. I'm not rich, but really, when I am used to DDR2 which is rather expensive (imo) then it's no problem.

But I mainly bought them because the ones I had were small and felt very fragile (very very uncomfortable to insert and remove into sockets, feels like I'm crushing them - I'd rather have some dimms with a heatsink)

But..

Are you implying that there is no need to memtest RAM?

Aside from a standard dual-pass check...there isn't really much reason.

As long as you are stable and don't get BSODs you shouldn't worry about it.

Aside from a standard dual-pass check...there isn't really much reason.

As long as you are stable and don't get BSODs you shouldn't worry about it.

Okay thanks :)

How do I only do a "standard dual-pass check" or does it just mean 2 passes of all tests?

Brut - I've noticed that the latest release of Memtest can act up with some of the newer hardware.

I corrected my issue by running Memtest from a USB thumb drive. Not sure why this was a problem, but whenever I ran it from a CD I got a similar garbled mess just like you.

Try running it from the USB bootable.

You can get it here;

http://www.memtest.org/

Go 3/4 of the way down the page and download the "Auto Installer for USB Key".

Regards,

Wev

Brut - I've noticed that the latest release of Memtest can act up with some of the newer hardware.

I corrected my issue by running Memtest from a USB thumb drive. Not sure why this was a problem, but whenever I ran it from a CD I got a similar garbled mess just like you.

Try running it from the USB bootable.

You can get it here;

http://www.memtest.org/

Go 3/4 of the way down the page and download the "Auto Installer for USB Key".

Regards,

Wev

I see. That explains why my memtest86 which I had on a disc went bananas, while my USB memtest86+ worked like a charm :P

Edited by Brutality