My hard drive woes

iskout

About 6 months ago, I bought 2 500GB hard drives and put them in RAID 0. I needed slightly more speed than a single drive for capturing uncompressed video, and it seemed to work well. Around the same time, my 1.5TB storage drive started acting odd. It would randomly decide that I wasn't allowed to use/transfer/delete certain files. I eventually got annoyed enough to run some diagnostic tests. After I realized that I couldn't format the drive (using multiple tools), I decided to purchase a new drive. I picked up a new Western Digital Green 1.5TB last wednesday. I received it today and threw it in my computer immediately. Upon attempting to format the drive, I realized that I was having the EXACT SAME problem as my old 1.5.

Well, I decided to go out on a limb and bring the drives to my friend's house to try on his computer. Sure enough, they both formatted and accessed just fine. On top of that, my new 1.5 TB, a 5400 RPM drive, showed incredible speeds on CrystalDiskMark... With a 143.2 Sequential read average and a 111.6 Sequential write speed.

My big question is: My motherboard is a 680i SLI. Am i just stressing my SATA controller too hard by having 2x500GB in RAID 0, a 250GB OS drive, and a 1.5TB hard drive? Or is that not a valid reason for these malfunctions?

I intend to upgrade to Sandy Bridge sometime in the next month or two anyway, but I was intending on using this setup for my mother's computer (She's running a G31 motherboard with a C2D E4600).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm reluctant to take down my RAID array, as when I was having all of these troubles, I put all of the Data that I could access on my 1.5TB on the array for temporary storage, and I'd rather not lose everything.

I'm not sure, I think I actually used to run a 680i motherboard and Raid 0 stable with other storage drives. Do you have all your chipset and raid drivers installed from your motherboard's website?

sometimes the chipset will get very flaky....I had an Abit board do that to me. It would let you select Raid on a Single hard drive and speeds would be much faster but it came with other issues. like the CPU would get hotter using a dual core but not with a single core. I think its a BIOS issue on how the raid is implemented or the chipset not playing nice...

Well, as of right now, I've taken out my RAID array, and I still cannot format hard drives. I haven't tried moving data on/off the drives, except across network, but I can't format my new 1.5TB hard drive. I'm quite aggravated about that, honestly, since it's still a raw drive, so I can't access it.

I'm thinking about installing W7 onto another hard drive (or maybe linux, haven't decided) on friday and trying from there. If it's a board issue, I won't be able to format. If it's a windows issue, I will be able to format, and I'll know what I have to do.

Edit: on second thought, I have a Hiren's LiveCD somewhere around here. I'll just use that tomorrow, see what happens.

Edited by iskout

download and burn gparted

turn the computer off and remove all the drives

reset the bios and clear cmos

make sure the cd drive and the hard drive you want to format are in the last two SATA slots (ones you did not use before)

install gparted and see if you can boot to CD

try and format the disk drive

I installed Xubuntu onto one of my 1.5TB's (the one that I couldn't format- it was going into my fileserver anyway, but I wanted to see), and it's definitely something to do with my Windows installation. I can't format it in Windows, but I can do it just fine in Linux. The strange thing is that I have had this iteration of Windows for almost 2 years now, and I hadn't had this problem before a few months ago. Going to try a few things, but I was planning on doing a full reformat and starting from scratch on my new rig anyway (Ordering the new stuff by the end of the month), so it's not a huge deal.

I have done some more work on my computer, and found out that I had multiple versions of the nVidia SATA controller installed. After uninstalling all of them and reinstalling the correct driver, I've been able to fix my problems.

Glad you got it sorted Isk.................

How'd you get all them nVidia sata controller driver loaded simultaneously? :)

Probably windows update. It can install microsoft signed drivers, same thing as the nVidia ones, but MS took a look a them first. This would cause windows to see two different drivers and not do an update properly.