How to package a hardrive 'by Dell'

Andrewr05

50 MB/s seems pretty normal for misc files. :cheers:
Yeah, after looking at some reviews I see that it averages at 80MB/s for single large files. Obviously a large amount of vary files with choke it up a bit.

Still though, almost 4 hours for about 600GB is kind of ridiculous.

I still have a whole bunch of other crap to move around, I can already tell its going to a looong night.

I still have a whole bunch of other crap to move around, I can already tell its going to a looong night.

That's better than the 24-48 hours it takes to resync the RAID 1 and RAID 10 arrays in my HTPC when the power goes out in the middle of a write operation. :lol:

Seems like the USPS people had a field day with your box.

That's a UPS shipping label, they're notorious for poor shipping. Our local guy is super friendly in person, but his method of delivery is to knock on the door, and drop the package on the ground. Also, shame on Dell for poor packaging. Yeah, shipping costs money and shipping supplies cost money, but that's pathetic.

Yeah, after looking at some reviews I see that it averages at 80MB/s for single large files. Obviously a large amount of vary files with choke it up a bit.

Computers nowadays are so fast and awesome yet transferring files is soooo slow still. This will have to change soon.

That's better than the 24-48 hours it takes to resync the RAID 1 and RAID 10 arrays in my HTPC when the power goes out in the middle of a write operation. :lol:

I can't even imagine...

At least that isn't your main rig though, so you can still be on a computer.

I was up until 4AM this morning getting everything situated.

Yeah, shipping costs money and shipping supplies cost money, but that's pathetic.

AGREED

Computers nowadays are so fast and awesome yet transferring files is soooo slow still. This will have to change soon.

I agree, the slowest drives should be 2x as fast as this and the fastest drives should be even faster.

I know it is a WD green drive and it isn't meant for speed but that is pretty pathetic.

I can't even imagine...

At least that isn't your main rig though, so you can still be on a computer.

I was up until 4AM this morning getting everything situated.

It does it while running so it's not horrible - it just slows down access to my arrays. HD movies don't play very smoothly but everything else is fine.

My company orders from Dell for most everything, and I have never seen a hard drive arrive like that :mellow:

I've ordered many different parts from Dell and they've always been packed VERY securely. You must have got the disgruntled mad-at-the-world packer guy :-/

Maybe somebody's last day at Dell (or it could be ;) ), that sucks though and even though that's a green drive that does seem a tad slow. I would think even with random files it'd be like 60 or more MB/s

I would think even with random files it'd be like 60 or more MB/s

Sustained write speeds with small blocks (especially with the Windows copy dialog) aren't amazing but 50+ MB/s on random files is actually pretty good.