best stress test tools?

well i'm fairly certain the first 6950 can handle the OC as I use to run it flashed as a 6970 with 950/1450 20% power control and everything use to be fine, the second 6950 I not so sure about as I've only had it less than a week and I haven't done much testing on it as a single card (although it is the exact same brand and model as the first card), also the cards are currently not running flashed, I have the bios switch in the "2" position so there are running with their default bios

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i'm fairly certain the first 6950 can handle the OC as I use to run it flashed as a 6970 with 950/1450 20% power control and everything use to be fine, the second 6950 I not so sure about as I've only had it less than a week and I haven't done much testing on it as a single card (although it is the exact same brand and model as the first card), also the cards are currently not running flashed, I have the bios switch in the "2" position so there are running with their default bios

Id verify that the OC is stable on the 2nd card, i doubt it is. Every card is different, even if its the same brand same model. Try both cards at stock settings then play a game. And see what happens in a game.

Id verify that the OC is stable on the 2nd card, i doubt it is. Every card is different, even if its the same brand same model. Try both cards at stock settings then play a game. And see what happens in a game.

Great suggestion Merc! The best way to OC when using a xFire setup is to run each card individually, look at the temps and the OCs. Then take the card that OCed higher and make it the top card, since it will get hotter, as heat rises, it will usually help to have the card with more OC headroom in the top slot. I have found that this is usually going to give you the biggest xFire OC you can achieve :thumbsup:

ok will try later today and let you know how it turns out, another question, how likely is it that a maximum OC with CCC will turn out stable? I guess you can say since it's in AMD's official software I feel as though it's very likely that the OC would be stable as AMD set the certain limits for a reason but i'm curious as to how valid this might be.

ok will try later today and let you know how it turns out, another question, how likely is it that a maximum OC with CCC will turn out stable? I guess you can say since it's in AMD's official software I feel as though it's very likely that the OC would be stable as AMD set the certain limits for a reason but i'm curious as to how valid this might be.

Not valid at all. Lol, Any half decent OC will likely require additional voltage to work. Just because there is a limit set in CCC doesnt mean its the "Easy to get limit" Thats just a limit thats either decided in CCC or on the BIO's of the card itself.

My HD 5770 wouldnt go 15mhz over stock clocks without a voltage change. Where as the GTX570 i have now goes up like 100mhz without voltage change. Its entirely dependenton the gpu itself, there is no normalization in video cards. Heck a member here who is an extremely good overclocker had a 4870x2 and he couldnt get a single mhz out of his video card, regardless of voltage change!

ok so after extensive troubleshooting I found the culprit to be msi afterburner, upon uninstalling the program everything works perfect, I now experience no crashing whatsoever, has anyone ever had that issue before? also are there any other programs like afterburner? I really liked the OSD feature as well as being able to manually adjust how the fans on the card operate automatically.

On another note, any pointers for my CPU OC? I really would like it if I could make it higher, I might make another thread for that but I figured I'd ask in this one first

Heck member here who is an extremely good overclocker had a 4870x2 and he couldnt get a single mhz out of his video card, regardless of voltage change!

Aww you remembered :wub:

ok so after extensive troubleshooting I found the culprit to be msi afterburner, upon uninstalling the program everything works perfect, I now experience no crashing whatsoever, has anyone ever had that issue before? also are there any other programs like afterburner? I really liked the OSD feature as well as being able to manually adjust how the fans on the card operate automatically.

On another note, any pointers for my CPU OC? I really would like it if I could make it higher, I might make another thread for that but I figured I'd ask in this one first

Wait so when you uninstalled Afterburner, CCC's overclocks allowed you to go higher stable than before???

As for your CPU, what temps are you getting now. 1.50v seems like too much for your current overclock

well I was actually just using afterburner for OSD and fan control, I stuck with CCC for the OCs, but even with everything at stock my games would still crash, seems it was causing some form of conflict along the line, also I'm not too interested in OCing my gpus really since they are more than enough for my games at the moment so I don't mind everything at stock for now, I might look into when the hardware starts to get dated or they start struggling with games.

For the CPU it never goes over 46C even after hours of prime, as far as the voltage it averages at around 1.44 during prime, only hitting 1.50 in a blue moon lol

I'd see if you can take the OC on the CPU further. You've got some temp headroom left, maybe take the voltage down to 1.45v, set the Load Line Calibration to On or whatever and then go to town!

And yes two unlocked 6950s should have NOOOOOO trouble with anything

what does the load line calibration do? I'm not sure what I should set it to, it's in the form of a % ranging from 0%-100%

lol yea so I'm not too interested in OCing them atm, I actually have them running as 2 stock 6950s right now and they still more than destroy anything I throw at them

EDIT: I take it I should set the load line to 100%? auto is 51.6%

Edited by aameghoo