First custom build?

JustinShorb

I'm currently working on a new build. This will be my first custom build, but I'm not new to the game either. It will be a primary HTPC, but needs to accomodate moderate to heavy gaming as well. Haven't bought anything yet, but getting ready to. Just looking for some feedback before I dive in.

Case: Cooler Master HAF-932 (The black version, not the red)

Motherboard: MSI 890fxa-gd70 (This is my biggest hesitation point. I want plenty of room to crossfire or upgrade ram if needed.)

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (I do plan to overclock somewhere down the line)

Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 (Noise is relatively important)

Memory: Corsair xms 1600Mhz 6GB (Might expand if the need arises)

GPU: Saphire vapor-x HD 6870 (Again, noise is a factor here. Possible crossfire in the future)

PSU: Corsair 750W 80Plus Bronze (Any issues with the 6870 in crossfire?)

I am on a moderate budget, but I'm also not willing to sacrifice performance or stability. I want a system that performs as is, but has plenty of room for upgrades. Thanks for the help.

So far so good. The case is your personal preference, and the HAF series are all good.

The motherboard is a good option, I have it, but as much as I like MSI, ASUS boards do overclock better. Just make sure you order the latest revision, so when Bulldozer comes out, you can upgrade to it using the same motherboard using a BIOS update.

Get the 1055T instead, it overclocks just as well.

For an AM3 build, you only need 2 memory sticks to work in dual channel. Buy a 2x2GB kit instead of a 3x2GB kit.

If you're wanting to crossfire two HD 6870's and overclock them, 750W will be fine.

You can always trim down your build. I recommend going with a cheap used tri-core or quad core AM3 CPU you can buy at a good price for $50 - $80, then upgrade when Bulldozer comes out.

So far so good. The case is your personal preference, and the HAF series are all good.

The motherboard is a good option, I have it, but as much as I like MSI, ASUS boards do overclock better. Just make sure you order the latest revision, so when Bulldozer comes out, you can upgrade to it using the same motherboard using a BIOS update.

For an AM3 build, you only need 2 memory sticks to work in dual channel. Buy a 2x2GB kit instead of a 3x2GB kit.

If you're wanting to crossfire two HD 6870's and overclock them, 750W will be fine.

You can always trim down your build. I recommend going with a cheap used tri-core or quad core AM3 CPU you can buy at a good price for $50 - $80, then upgrade when Bulldozer comes out.

stupid.gif

The goal was to build a new system in addition to an old one, but I could always strip parts from it for the new build. I already have 3x2GB ram in the old system (only a year or two old) and an AMD Athlon II x4 at 2.8GHZ. Could I swap the processor until bulldozer comes out or would I be better off starting fresh?

Any suggestions for an ASUS board? The formula IV looks promising. I am relatively new to overclocking however.

Edited by JustinShorb

Re-use and/or sell when you can, saves a lot of money. The Athlon II x4 is still good, do you have it overclocked?

First off, are you building a 2nd new computer, or did you want to upgrade your existing computer? You can't really strip your old one if you want to keep two.

Re-use and/or sell when you can, saves a lot of money. The Athlon II x4 is still good, do you have it overclocked?

First off, are you building a 2nd new computer, or did you want to upgrade your existing computer? You can't really strip your old one if you want to keep two.

The Athlon is not currently overclocked, but if it went into the new build I would overclock it.

I am keeping the old computer but will be strictly using the new build for now. I could strip it and get the parts for it later if need be.

Ok. Just saying, 'cause in general, you get a better deal buying 2x2GB memory kits as opposed to 3x2GB memory kits, even if the modules are the same.

No need to stip the old one, you'll have less headache's and hassles to deal with. If you are getting a new system right now, I suggest Sandy Bridge. You're not limited to just AMD graphics cards and Crossfire, unless you want to do a SLI hack, and you get much better performance.

1090T = $180

MSI 890fxa-gd70 = $180 after MIR (though MSI rebates are suspect)

i5 2500k = $225

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) = $187 after shipping

You'll be paying $50 more, but the performance increase is substantial.

Memory: Corsair xms 1600Mhz 6GB (Might expand if the need arises)

Your choice of 6GB seems a little unusual? You'd be better with 4GB (2x2GB) or 8GB (2x4GB) to run in dual channel mode.

I have always used AMD so I haven't looked into the i5 or i7s. Forgive me for asking, but do you think going with an i5 or i7 would be better in the long run than holding out for bulldozer? I realize its super open-ended. Just trying to get a long term plan.

I like Intel as well as AMD. There's no data on bulldozer performance, yet, and so far SandyBridge has it's definite pluses. The HD 6870 is a good mid-ranged card, but then there's always the GTX 460/560Ti 1GB as well. Basically whatever you like, you can't go wrong with any of the HD 6850's and up, or the GTX 460 1GB, or GTX 560 Ti and up. The lower the price, the better price per performance, usually.