Brutality

Helping friend upgrade gamer PC.. again lol

Honestly, in raid, you're going to get graphical lag. I run 2 GTX 460's in SLI and I still drop depending on what spells/how many spells are being cast. There are 10/25 people casting spells all at once, on top of whatever the boss/mobs happen to be casting. It get's intensive especially considering WoW is pretty CPU reliant instead of being GPU reliant. It's not the best coded game in existence. I bet if you threw a GTX580 in there you would still see some sort of a frame rate drop in the middle of say, Atrimedes 25 man. Also, make sure he isn't doing something stupid like putting his game in full screen windowed mode instead of maximized or running something needlessly CPU intensive in the background.

For reference, I run Ultra settings when I play in 1920x1080 on just one screen and I only drop framerates when I fly into the middle of Orgrimmar and have to load all 200 people standing there or when I'm in a 25 man raid. Everything else is fine.

When I have all 3 of my monitors on, I still run with the same settings but in full screen windowed mode and my framerates drop a little bit just about everywhere. Instead of 60fps everywhere, I get 45-55 fps avg in field unless I'm not looking at anything and less if I'm in raid.

Edited by nitem4re

he should SLI the card and it will help, but don't expect 60FPS

and he should still turn off stupid things like projectile shadows

lol this is why he is upgrading, he wants to be able to run the game at maximum graphics (this includes projectile shadows) with playable fps ;)

Honestly, in raid, you're going to get graphical lag. I run 2 GTX 460's in SLI and I still drop depending on what spells/how many spells are being cast. There are 10/25 people casting spells all at once, on top of whatever the boss/mobs happen to be casting. It get's intensive especially considering WoW is pretty CPU reliant instead of being GPU reliant. It's not the best coded game in existence. I bet if you threw a GTX580 in there you would still see some sort of a frame rate drop in the middle of say, Atrimedes 25 man. Also, make sure he isn't doing something stupid like putting his game in full screen windowed mode instead of maximized or running something needlessly CPU intensive in the background.

Okay, so I guess he needs to either overclock his cpu or get a new? (perhaps new socket)

In the field his fps is fine, but during raids it goes laggy. But I don't see how the ping is related to your fps???

This tells me that it is a network issue. When you have a ton of people on-screen, keep in mind that you are also receiving data on your network about what those characters are doing, where and how they are moving, etc. If you're fine out in the field but have a crappy experience with a lot of people on-screen it is related to network not able to keep up with the demand or the video card not being able to keep up. I ran WoW on ultra settings on a GT240 with great FPS (40+ at the lowest), so a 470 should be able to handle it no issues.

Does this user share their internet connection with a lot of people? I.E. college campus, dorms, etc?

Okay, so I guess he needs to either overclock his cpu or get a new? (perhaps new socket)

I added more to that post, but if he really wants to spend more money on something, it mights as well be an aftermarket heatsink and have him OC is CPU as suggested earlier, though, I highly doubt he's ever going to achieve his goal of perfect 60fps even while raiding without going over the top on everything.

Edited by nitem4re

This tells me that it is a network issue. When you have a ton of people on-screen, keep in mind that you are also receiving data on your network about what those characters are doing, where and how they are moving, etc. If you're fine out in the field but have a crappy experience with a lot of people on-screen it is related to network not able to keep up with the demand or the video card not being able to keep up. I ran WoW on ultra settings on a GT240 with great FPS (40+ at the lowest), so a 470 should be able to handle it no issues.

Does this user share their internet connection with a lot of people? I.E. college campus, dorms, etc?

Also, this. :withstupid: What are his average latencies? I average about 20ms world latency. I live about 1.5 hours from the server. (And blizz HQ funnily enough.)

Also, this. :withstupid: What are his average latencies? I average about 20ms world latency. I live about 1.5 hours from the server. (And blizz HQ funnily enough.)

Well he does have bad latency, so this could be the root of his problem... He's coming over in the near future for a LAN at me and I've got a good and stable internet connection, so we can see if that's the problem. otherwise he needs to upgrade CPU (via. overclocking or new cpu or even new socket) ?

As a note, he told me that even in the field he gets crappy fps with highest graphics settings...

Edited by Brutality

As a note, he told me that even in the field he gets crappy fps with highest graphics settings...

If that's the case, then I think he has something else wrong. Either with too many things running in the background or something specific taking up too much CPU power.

Edited by nitem4re

If that's the case, then I think he has something else wrong. Either with too many things running in the background or something specific taking up too much CPU power.

I just told him to update gfx drivers lol, and he already sees an increase in fps... sigh lol

Well in either case, if he starts seeing low fps he either needs to fix his internet connection or get a better cpu. thanks alot guys

Overclock CPU before doing any actual Upgrades. WoW is one of those games that really like fast CPU's. So overclocking is your second step. The first having been Update graphics drivers, which has apparently finally been done now.

The aftermarket cooler i would recommend is a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. This will put you into the range of 3.5Ghz or so with little issue. If you wanna push into that magical 4.0Ghz barrier, i doubt the 212+ will be good enough. Then your looking at some like the Prolimatech Megahalems or Noctua NH-D14, both are very large, but very good coolers. Before getting any after market heatsink id check compatibility with his case, or more to the point, space between the socket on the mobo and the case panel lol. As an alternative to any of the coolers i mentioned above, You could use an H60 or H70, or the Antec Kuhler H20. These closed loop water coolers are very space conscious meaning they work with pretty much any case so long as it has a 120mm fan spot on the rear or top of the case. The H50 would work too, but with the recent release of both the H60 and Kuhler H20, The H50 just isnt worth it anymore. Price/Performance wise the normal Air coolers are ALOT better.

Dont forget you can overclock the GPU as well! It goes along way in adding 5-10 FPS!

Overclock CPU before doing any actual Upgrades. WoW is one of those games that really like fast CPU's. So overclocking is your second step. The first having been Update graphics drivers, which has apparently finally been done now.

The aftermarket cooler i would recommend is a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. This will put you into the range of 3.5Ghz or so with little issue. If you wanna push into that magical 4.0Ghz barrier, i doubt the 212+ will be good enough. Then your looking at some like the Prolimatech Megahalems or Noctua NH-D14, both are very large, but very good coolers. Before getting any after market heatsink id check compatibility with his case, or more to the point, space between the socket on the mobo and the case panel lol. As an alternative to any of the coolers i mentioned above, You could use an H60 or H70, or the Antec Kuhler H20. These closed loop water coolers are very space conscious meaning they work with pretty much any case so long as it has a 120mm fan spot on the rear or top of the case. The H50 would work too, but with the recent release of both the H60 and Kuhler H20, The H50 just isnt worth it anymore. Price/Performance wise the normal Air coolers are ALOT better.

Dont forget you can overclock the GPU as well! It goes along way in adding 5-10 FPS!

Heard! lol :P

I learned the hard way about the sheer size of the NH-D14 lol, but thanks to that I got myself an Antec DF-85 now which I am extremely pleased about.. amazing temps <3

Heard! lol :P

I learned the hard way about the sheer size of the NH-D14 lol, but thanks to that I got myself an Antec DF-85 now which I am extremely pleased about.. amazing temps <3

Agreed!! I got myself a DF-85 as well. Its an amazing case, Infact i think you made a post recently about which case to get?? If im remember right, im the one that suggest you get the DF-85 in the first place lololol.