Sign in to follow this  
My_Inner_Fred

New Budget Build

I'm going to be building a second rig to replace my current one. My budgets around $1200, keep in mind I will mostly likely be adding upgrades to this PC after it has already been built so the budget isn't literally $1200. Suggestions on possible future upgrades are welcome!

This Rig will be used for Photoshop, gaming, rendering videos, and folding.

CPU: I7-2600K

Mobo: MSI P67A-GD53

Ram: G.SKILL Ripkaws Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB

DVD/CD Drive: Asus Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO850W (Iviys suggestion beats my selected PSU :D)

Case: NZXT Phantom Black

Total: $1003.93

I will be using my current EVGA GTX 460 graphics card for this build until I get enough cash to get a better GPU.

I will also be using one of my 1TB WD drives for extra space on this build. The reason I'm getting a 850W GPU is because I plan on using SLI in the future.

Any recommendations to better this build or lower the price would be nice.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

How much of a difference would I see between the 2 different ram speeds 1333 vs 1600.

Nothing in real life lol, the unlocked multiplier allows you to have slower speed memory that wont hold back your overclock :thumbsup:

Okay first I personally HATE G.Skill RAM, get Kingston or Corsair. As for the SSD you can get a drive at a much better price, Kingston V100 for $128 pr AData. Not personally used AData but I know people that like their stuff.

Finally unless you are enamored with the Phantom's looks there are better case choices.

Okay first I personally HATE G.Skill RAM, get Kingston or Corsair. As for the SSD you can get a drive at a much better price, Kingston V100 for $128 pr AData. Not personally used AData but I know people that like their stuff.

Finally unless you are enamored with the Phantom's looks there are better case choices.

Why do you hate G-Skill Ram? I look at comparisons for my build and the G-Skill seemed like the best and plus it was cheaper. Corsair was overpriced and Kingston didn't have the ram I needed. G-Skill is a budget builders best friend. :biggrin:

Edited by Black6464

Did you have bad experiences with G.Skill? I have used Kingston before their not bad, but I feel like trying a different brand. ]

Your SSD suggestion is good on the price section but its not SATA III and its read speed isnt as fast. I'd rather have faster read speed then writing speed.

yes I have fallen in love with the Phantom because of it's looks but feel free to recommend the cases that are better in your opinion.

You're just mad because you've been overcharged for corsair memory for years :lol:

I vote on the Coolermaster 912 for the case :thumbsup:

Did you have bad experiences with G.Skill? I have used Kingston before their not bad, but I feel like trying a different brand. ]

Your SSD suggestion is good on the price section but its not SATA III and its read speed isnt as fast. I'd rather have faster read speed then writing speed.

yes I have fallen in love with the Phantom because of it's looks but feel free to recommend the cases that are better in your opinion.

I used to be a die hard G.SKill user but ever since the first Ripjaw release I have had nothing but issues with their RAM. I am not talking one bad experience but lots of them. On one order I had to build 4 systems the and the Ripjaw was unstable with the motherboard I was using. Put in Kingston and it worked perfect. I was able to get the G.Skill to work in other systems eventually but they would not warranty since the RAM tested good dispute the system stabilities issues being proven to be from the RAM. Do not get to caught up in trying a different brand, there is something to say for using a brand that always works.

As for the SSD do not get caught up in the SATA type and transfer rates. Unless you use the SSD to hold large files, like the rendering you will be doing, the transfer rate is meaningless. The strength of an SSD is not it's transfer rates but it's random seek time. OS and APP loading is not a few large files but tons of small files, none of which stress the throughput. The ability to move between all these files near instantly is the reason the drives feel so incredibly fast. Trust me you will never notice the difference in actual use.

As for the case I will not fault anyone for buying what they like the looks of. After all you have to look at it. Personally I have found that buying case over about $100 in cost is usually about looks more than functionality. In truth there are some great cases from $50 to $100 that easily can handle pretty much any system build you throw at them.

You're just mad because you've been overcharged for corsair memory for years :lol:

I vote on the Coolermaster 912 for the case :thumbsup:

I heard about that case being badass, but so many people have purchased it so its not that unique now. :(

If u have any small case recommendations they should work well, since the mobo you recommended is a Micro ATX board.

I used to be a die hard G.SKill user but ever since the first Ripjaw release I have had nothing but issues with their RAM. I am not talking one bad experience but lots of them. On one order I had to build 4 systems the and the Ripjaw was unstable with the motherboard I was using. Put in Kingston and it worked perfect. I was able to get the G.Skill to work in other systems eventually but they would not warranty since the RAM tested good dispute the system stabilities issues being proven to be from the RAM. Do not get to caught up in trying a different brand, there is something to say for using a brand that always works.

As for the SSD do not get caught up in the SATA type and transfer rates. Unless you use the SSD to hold large files, like the rendering you will be doing, the transfer rate is meaningless. The strength of an SSD is not it's transfer rates but it's random seek time. OS and APP loading is not a few large files but tons of small files, none of which stress the throughput. The ability to move between all these files near instantly is the reason the drives feel so incredibly fast. Trust me you will never notice the difference in actual use.

As for the case I will not fault anyone for buying what they like the looks of. After all you have to look at it. Personally I have found that buying case over about $100 in cost is usually about looks more than functionality. In truth there are some great cases from $50 to $100 that easily can handle pretty much any system build you throw at them.

I've never had a problem yet, but have admittedly not had any sticks since the ripjaws came out either (the two kits I bought before were for laptops). Gskills aren't always the best deal anymore, but in this case they are.

I agree with you on the SSD, the only reason on is to get them is because of their access time the other speeds are just a bonus.

Also agree with you on the case (hence why I mentioned the 912 ;) )

I heard about that case being badass, but so many people have purchased it so its not that unique now. :(

If u have any small case recommendations they should work well, since the mobo you recommended is a Micro ATX board.

hmm that motherboard seems to be outta stock now, so I guess get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130572

As for the uniqueness, why not get a can of spray paint and go crazy. That's what I did to my husk of an old Gateway case :teehee: