Trashing Old Outdated Computer Stuff

combssm

After rebuilding my Mom's computer LASTNIGHT, I was left with a slew of crap. Crap like a Socket A motherboard and an AMD Sempron 1.6ghz processor. Stuff that's not worth anything to anyone. So I took all of it, put it in a brown grocer bag and through it in the trash. The only thing I saved was some old DDR pc3200 ram. I just felt so good to remove all the mess.

So my question is, who actually recycles computer STUFF?

After rebuilding my Mom's computer LASTNIGHT, I was left with a slew of crap. Crap like a Socket A motherboard and an AMD Sempron 1.6ghz processor. Stuff that's not worth anything to anyone. So I took all of it, put it in a brown grocer bag and through it in the trash. The only thing I saved was some old DDR pc3200 ram. I just felt so good to remove all the mess.

So my question is, who actually recycles computer STUFF?

First off it's not CRAP...

Responsible people.

Second of all... +1 You aren't supposed to do that kinda stuff

Edited by boinker

I am having two old PC's at the moment (P4's) which I initially thought I would give away to someone in need, but alas, they are no longer in a working condition. :( But, throwing it away in the normal trash just feels so wrong in my opinion. I am pretty sure a quick Google search on 'Hazards of E-Waste' will tell you all there is to know.

Fortunately, I have found an organization here dealing in E-Waste recycling. Going there soon. So, to answer your second query, I do recycle Computer Stuff. :)

Maybe troll?

That stuff can still be put to use whereas a pentium 1 or amd k6 I would see your point more. theres still people running ancient machinery. not many, but they exist :lol:. ever hear of electronics recycling? my dump has it, instead of filling land fills with electrical junk they recycle it

Yep, even if you aren't going to use it, you might as well put it out by your trash can so someone else can come pick it up. That stuff usually has lots of recyclable materials in it (Copper, etc) and can be worth a pretty penny if you know where to take it (and have enough.)

My neighbor takes his pickup out and picks up scrap metal and broken bikes, broken appliances etc and fixes them up and sells them, and sells the scrap for money. He's living on disability so it helps him pay for the little things. Whenever I have spare metal I go over and give it to him, knowing that if I throw it out either he'll get it or someone else will. I might as well help out a neighbor you know?

Yep, even if you aren't going to use it, you might as well put it out by your trash can so someone else can come pick it up. That stuff usually has lots of recyclable materials in it (Copper, etc) and can be worth a pretty penny if you know where to take it (and have enough.)

My neighbor takes his pickup out and picks up scrap metal and broken bikes, broken appliances etc and fixes them up and sells them, and sells the scrap for money. He's living on disability so it helps him pay for the little things. Whenever I have spare metal I go over and give it to him, knowing that if I throw it out either he'll get it or someone else will. I might as well help out a neighbor you know?

:withstupid:

Ya I have alot of computer cases I've gutted that need to be put on craigslist as scrap metal...Idk what I'm going to do with this one fan. It's maybe 140mm and maybe 38mm thick (looks similar girth to my old ultra kazes) and the whole thing is metal. Idk whether to scrap it off or put it with the computer/electronic recycling pile

:withstupid:

Ya I have alot of computer cases I've gutted that need to be put on craigslist as scrap metal...Idk what I'm going to do with this one fan. It's maybe 140mm and maybe 38mm thick (looks similar girth to my old ultra kazes) and the whole thing is metal. Idk whether to scrap it off or put it with the computer/electronic recycling pile

And then there is always the free to a good home thread for all the random stuff... never know who might want to pay a little shipping for some old fan or whatnot

The only things that I'll 'trash' are harddrives...and the limit of that is just taking the platters out and doing something to prevent someone else to gather "information" as part of the recycling process. The case and other components are easily recyclable.

Everything else is reusable or recyclable. Just go find a local transfer station, they know where to put it.