A Humble Reminder

I've had a very close friend through high school, Rosy, short for Rosilie. Whenever things were going wrong for someone, she was always there, willing to drop everything and help them out. Whenever she had issues of her own, it was just me and one other friend who would stand by her side and help her through them, while she was picked on and made fun of by others for her short stature and red hair, all through high school. She was like a sister. The last time I saw her, she was showing me her fiance, who had turned his life around to be with her. He went from a stereotypical drug using drunk loser to a great guy. Things were going great for the two of them, and many expected them to marry and be happy with each other.

Rosy died this last Sunday, at the age of 20. The details aren't known, but the truck she was riding in had leaves in the back. Somehow, these caught fire. The driver swerved off of the road into a field. The driver and front seat passenger were a family friend and her fiance, respectively. As the article states, a four year old and eleven month old also died. Thankfully, the medical examiner found that they all died from smoke inhalation before the fire reached them. Her fiance and the driver are in critical condition, her fiance is in an induced coma. The two younger ones that died are the children of one of my coworkers, her husband was the driver. As the article states, our area is a very close community.

This thread isn't to ask for condolences or grief. Instead, be reminded of how easily life can be taken away. Cherish every day that you can spend with your friends and family. Let your loved ones know just how much they mean to you. I never told Rosy how much she had helped me throughout the time I knew her, I never told her how much I appreciated all the things she had done. Don't put yourself in a similar situation. That is all.

It seems I've been reminded this every year since the year before I moved out of my old house. The year before I moved, we had a 16 year old student die when he had pneumonia and was infected with MRSA in the hospital.

The next year, about 2 months after I moved, we had a graduate (He graduated in class of 2009, it was Oct. 2009) die in a motorcycle accident right in front of the school. He had just dropped his sister off and was hit by a car as he pulled out of the parking lot, and his neck was snapped killing him instantly. About 2 months after that, we had a student burn his house down

by creating a home made rocket. He lost a few fingers and has pretty bad scarring across most of his body from the burns.

It's moments like these that make you realize how quickly you can lose someone.

I'm sorry to hear that KB. It's hard seeing someone go, especially in a tragic manner that was a genuinely good person.

After I graduated high school, things started "getting real" in the sense that no one is immortal like many have their minds set on. In only four years, we've had at least four deaths of students I went to school with, knew, talked to, etc - and every one of them tragic. One fell out of a fifth story window, two died in a burning house on a beach trip, and another as a result of an alleged "hate crime" - who was openly gay.

These situations also send out a hard reminder that life is, more or less a gas. It is unpredictable and can be taken away in a glimpse of a moment. Cherish your relationships and loved ones. Remind yourself of your fortunes.