Drive/File indexing script.

SpeedCrazy

Hey guys,

My latest whim/idea is to write a script to index all of the files in a given folder or drive and list their names/info for referencing. I like to be able to keep all my files and folders neat and arranged so i would like to be able to have a script to run to tell me what files are in each folder so i can put that file at the top of each folder and it will list the files and sub folders in that folder, rather than my having to scroll through lists of files and folders. This may sound silly but im trying to keep track of almost 500gbs of school work and personal files and junk.

I dont know very much about C, C++, C#, XML or any of those languages, i am quite good at XHTML HTML CSS allright in Java Script, but those languages wont do me any good in this project.

So i want some pointer/ ideas to get me started.

If i dont know what your talking about i will google. The more i learn the better.

Thanks,

(if this sounds stupid, please dont burst my bubble, let me fall on my face. Its the best way to learn)

This shouldn't be that hard to do using VBScript/VBA. Google 'FileSystemObject' and you should find a list of the methods that will allow you to list drives and folders as well as their contents. If you have MS Word or MS Excel, then you already have a project editor you can use - open either application and hit Alt+F11 which will take you to the project editor.

Thanks for the starting point, but i know absolutely nothing abot VB so the links i found are useless. Are there any good sites to look up the basics of VB? I'm not excpecting to learn it all instantly but atleast to be able to look up everything as i go along.

Why wouldn't you just use the built-in indexing in Vista or 7? As long as you name your files intelligently (folder names can be searched too) I don't see why you'd need to use anything else.