Weird Reboot

VaporX

Normally I can root out a problem like this on my own but this one has me stumped. My own personal system has a strange reboot error I cannot find. The system will run stable and true 90% of the time but sometimes when I move away from the PC it will suddenly and for no reason reboot. No I am not kicking the PC or hitting a button. This last time the wife walked in the house and I was playing some STO, I turned around to say hi and see how her morning had gone when the computer for no reason I can imagine rebooted. I have tested RAM, PSU and HD all tested as fine. The CPU and GPU are not even close to overheating. Nothing is overclocked or overvolted. The install is clean and no infections detected. It only does this when I turn away, like it is jealous something else has my attention and it does not do this all the time. I am baffled to say the least. This is not software limited, it has done it a few times with nothing running or just a browser open.

Any ideas?

this happend to me, it turns out the mouse cable was wrapped around the plug going to the psu, and when i get up from my desk for some reason i always pick up my mouse and move it to the right a little farther than normal, and it would take a minute to make the psu loose power for a split second and i would come back to a login screen.

What are the parts in your system, including the case? Sometime if the RAM modules aren't in all the way, or if there's dust in the slot, that can happen. I'd pull out the RAM modules, verify there's nothing interfering, and put them back in.

this happend to me, it turns out the mouse cable was wrapped around the plug going to the psu, and when i get up from my desk for some reason i always pick up my mouse and move it to the right a little farther than normal, and it would take a minute to make the psu loose power for a split second and i would come back to a login screen.

I did that too. Took me a while to figure it out.

RAM has been pulled and reseated, the mouse and keyboard cables are in a little hook at the top of the desk and not near the power cord. The power cord is tight. The buttons do not seem to be stuck in any way. The system is running on a good quality surge suppressor. (Suppressor is APC and less than 6 months old.) The specs are:

Phenom II X6 1075T

Asus Crosshair IV Forumla

8 Gig Kingston DDR3 (4x2)

Kingston SSD V100 128 Gig

EVGA GTX 460

Antec 600 case

Antec Signature 850 PSU

Like I said the system is stable and I have not had it crash while being used. It has no real pattern other than it happens when I am not using the computer. I have altered the CnQ settings and the windows power settings with no effect.

Is the room carpeted?

Maybe it is some sort of electrical interference?

Everything else has been gone over, so now the only other alternative is that it is posses by some electrical demon.

You may need to call the Ghostbusters.

:P

The OS is Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate and I have tried all the various power schemes. The room is carpeted but the PC is sitting on a 1" think piece of finished word to raise it off the floor. The electrical bug is one I am considering, I saw an article that said their was an issue with the grounding of the front panel of the Six Hundred. I am thinking of unplugging the USB and front audio to see if it may be grounding at the front panel. (Actually gonna do that now..)

I've been having the same problem.

I doubt its the power cord. I think it has something to do with power status not being handled correctly. It will happen either when I step back for a second, or when my UPS kicks in for a second.

Sometimes it will kick me out of a game to the desktop, then shut down if the ups switches to battery power during a brown out. Other times it will drop from the desktop when I stand up to go into the other room.

It seemed like it was going into hibernate, because when I would come back and hit some buttons on the keyboard, it would start up and resume windows, instead of starting windows.

I disabled hibernate in power options, but it still did it. I looked online and found a command line instruction to disable it in the registry. Now it seems like it goes into sleep, instead of hibernating, but it still does it.

Win 7 Home Premium x64

Phenom II 1090T @ 3.8Ghz

Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3

Corsair 750W Modular PSU

APC 1000 UPS