Sign in to follow this  
Fieldsy

$2500 AUD Gaming/ Media Rig

Hey guys,

A mate of mine has asked me to put together a list for $2500 rig, main focus is for gaming and Media editing (photoshop). He plans to SLI down the track. This is what i have come up with. any thoughts/suggestions would be greetly appreciated. Will be buying from www.umart.com.au

Product Quantity Price Gst Total

Antec 1000W TruePower Quattro ATX & EPS 12V Power Supply Modular Cable $219.00 $19.91 $219.00

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M $57.00 $10.36 $114.00

Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $306.00 $27.82 $306.00

Noctua NH-U12P Special Edition SE2 $85.00 $7.73 $85.00

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 LGA1366 X58 6DDR3 4PCIE RAID 2GLan 3FW ATX $379.00 $34.45 $379.00

LGE BH10LS30 Black BlueRay SATA LightScribe Writer Retail $125.00 $11.36 $125.00

Corsair Force Series 60GB SSD2.5 MLC SSD, 285/275MB/Sec,SATA II $169.00 $15.36 $169.00

CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black No PSU $217.00 $19.73 $217.00

Corsair Vengeance CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 12G (3x4GB) DDR3 $195.00 $17.73 $195.00

MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II OC $599.00 $54.45 $599.00

Total $218.91 $2408.00

How about this for an alternative build?

Core i5 2500K - $269.00

Noctua NH-U12P Special Edition SE2 - $85.00

ASUS P8P67 PRO - $235.00

G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (4GB x 2) x2 (16GB) - $230.00

MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II OC - $599.00

Corsair Force Series 120GB SSD - $275.00

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 (x2) - $114.00

Corsair HX-850 - $218.00 (still fine for 2 GTX 580s, and a better quality unit than the Antec)

CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black - $217.00

LGE BH10LS30 Black BlueRay SATA LightScribe Writer Retail - $125.00

Total - $2367.00

So it's cheaper, the 2500K is faster for plenty of things and overclocks more easily (there is enough room to go for a 2600K for $110 more if you wanted, but I don't think it's worth it). You also get more memory (always handy for Photoshop) and a bigger SSD. The ASUS P8P67 PRO does say out of stock at the moment there.

I left the Blu-Ray writer in there. Is that an essential item?

Edited by jammin

Thanks for the response jammin. that does look like an awesome build. Blu ray Burner isnt a must, i might just get him a standard Blu Ray Drive. so that will save some cash.

honestly if its for photoshop you want a 6 core especially if he's serious about editing.....look at my rig in the build forum under 3k amd build minus the radeon 6990 and say a 6970 and youve got the same thing....the Phenom II 1100T is a 6 core and in terms of photoshop and editing (part of what i do and why i chose it) it is 10-20% faster and in terms of gaming it more than handles the job and can also be Overclocked to 4gb per core and be stable....but it really is personal preference and that build will do the same stuff anyway just in photoshop a lil slower ;)

honestly though you wont need 1000W go for an 850 or 950 and that'll be more than enough :)

the Phenom II 1100T is a 6 core and in terms of photoshop and editing (part of what i do and why i chose it) it is 10-20% faster

Any benchmarks I can find put the 2500K ahead of the 1100T in Photoshop:

Here, Here and Here

And that's without factoring in how easy the 2500K is to overclock.

While the AMD six core chips are undoubtedly nice (and the platform will cost you less), you really have to cherry pick situations where they are faster.

If you're going to be spending that much money... go with Sandy Bridge.

The 2500k beats the pants off the 1100T. Six cores doesnt mean its better for photoshop... it takes a 6 core for AMD to get what Intel does with 4 cores.

Honestly, unless you are on a tight budget... why would you even consider downgrading your chipset from Sandy Bridge?

wow you guys really are Intel biased....how bout not just looking at the benchmarks but looking at the other equipment used!

Sure lets compare them using totally different hardware!!! with intel using a GTX 580 at $500 to a AMD using a Radeon 5550 at $65 how biased can you get? and how does it show a true representation? and if anyones stupid enough to not look at the hardware before looking at the benchmarks they deserve a fail build.

Tom's hardware is so biased towards intel there's honestly no point looking at their benchmarks u need to go to a site that isnt sponsored by either amd or intel for true comparisons!

the REAL benchmarks that use equivalent parts show the true story, the 1100T's 6 Cores IS better for editing despite what Intel fans say, im biased to niether side i just want the best system for my money, but when it came down to it my AMD system is much better value for money and much more powerful than a system of the same standards in Intel

ultimately either system will do the job in the end AMD will be cheaper and do the same job! if 5 FPS more for a game is worth an extra $500 then go Intel (bare in mind both systems will run full graphics at 60+FPS anyway) if you want my opinion for a full AMD build PM me.

@ Jammin

not to mention all three of those links are articles entirely about Intel/Sandybridge so ofcourse they will be biased.....wtf? of course they arent going to say an AMD is better just like in an AMD they arent going to say intel is better bang for your buck even if it is! not to mention Toms hardware have Nvidia sponsorship plastered everywhere....lol do i need to say more its like they're paid to say theyre better obviously

ive got an AMD and its plenty fast.. theres nothings i cant run.. unless u had proper reasons to go Sandy, id go AMD and save a shitload of cash

now before i get flamed by nyt and the few who know im going SLi, im moving to intel from AMD but thats purely because AMD doesnt do SLi the way Intel does.. more support... otherwise.. id still with amd!

The only suggestion I would make on jammin's build is to maybe go for RipjawsX cause I think they're made for 1155.

RipjawsX 1600 8Gb $112 -> $224 for 16Gb from MSY (didn't see any at Umart)

Maybe also changing the Corsair for a 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 $250 (Umart)

You should check out MSY cause they have pretty good prices. MSY and Umart are the main places I look at.

wow you guys really are Intel biased....how bout not just looking at the benchmarks but looking at the other equipment used!Sure lets compare them using totally different hardware!!! with intel using a GTX 580 at $500 to a AMD using a Radeon 5550 at $65 how biased can you get? and how does it show a true representation? and if anyones stupid enough to not look at the hardware before looking at the benchmarks they deserve a fail build.Tom's hardware is so biased towards intel there's honestly no point looking at their benchmarks u need to go to a site that isnt sponsored by either amd or intel for true comparisons!the REAL benchmarks that use equivalent parts show the true story, the 1100T's 6 Cores IS better for editing despite what Intel fans say, im biased to niether side i just want the best system for my money.

First of all, sorry if I came across as biased, that's certainly not what I am going for here.

In fact, you know what, I actually went out looking for benchmarks to prove your point, not something to support my argument. If the AMD is faster in Photoshop it's definitely something I want to know, as my own upgrade plans are still up in the air (I have been considering the X6 chips myself).

Also, you can call me stupid if you like, though I'm not sure where your claim of totally different hardware comes from?

Looking at the Tom's results (even if we decided not to give them much weight), I don't see them suggesting they used different graphics cards for the Photoshop tests. Actually seems to suggest they used a GTX 580 for all the tests on that page.

So we throw out the Tom's benchmarks, but what about the others? Anything wrong with those?

I would like to find some photoshop benchmarks that disagree with those, maybe you know of some?

@ Jamminnot to mention all three of those links are articles entirely about Intel/Sandybridge so ofcourse they will be biased.....wtf? of course they arent going to say an AMD is better just like in an AMD they arent going to say intel is better bang for your buck even if it is! not to mention Toms hardware have Nvidia sponsorship plastered everywhere....lol do i need to say more its like they're paid to say theyre better obviously

Yes, again it's fine to have a bit of a rant about bias. It's always good to question motives.

There should be some real world results that expose that bias then, which is what I am looking for.

I'll have another search around myself and see what I can find too.

Edited by jammin