LGA 1155 Gaming Build opinion/recommendations/comments :)

jdhatt

LGA 1155 Build thoughts/opinions/recommendations

Hey guys, title says it all, this is the gaming rig im planning on building in the summer, i hope to have it for atleast 2-3 years before i swap the GPU (ill probably SLI in the next year or two to make it last) and maybe 3-4 before swapping CPU, but who knows maybe ill be able to afford it much sooner than that, but im planning on buying new EVERYTHING. So yeah, just gimme your opinions or recommendations

i5-2500k

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

G.Skill Ripjaws 8-8-8-24 1600 8GB RAM

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler (will probably buy an extra fan, also looking at Noctua NH-D14 but only if its really wortht he extra cost)

Corsair Graphite 600T White Edition or Corsair 650D Case

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB harddrive (will add another 2 later)

Corsair HX850 PSU (already have it, got a great deal for $135)

EVGA GTX 570 GPU (stock clocked, will overclock it myself)

Samsung P2770FH or ASUS VE278Q monitor (stumped, cant decide)

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder 3500, logitech g110 keyboard, cant decide on which 2.1 speakers (dont havet he space for 5.1). i'm currently looking at Logitech Z-2300/Z623, Creative Labs gigaworks T3, Klipsch 2.1 promedia, and Edifier S330D.

Lastly, gaming headset im about 90% sure on is the Corsair HS1 (heard great reviews)

Edit: have also added an SSD and a sound card to the mix. with SSD im looking at a OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, unless anyone has a better option or feels more space for the OS is a must. for sound card i absolutely have no idea, im just looking for something to go with my Corsair HS1A headset and whatever speakers i decide. my price range for sound card is $100, preferably lower if theres a great bang for your buck card out there but may also be willing to go up to $150 if its REEEEAALLLYYY worth it, thanks

Double Edit: just trying to decide which SSD is for me, OCZ 120GB or the Corsair F115. also changed my case choices from Corsair Graphite 600T white edition or Corsair 650D. so any help would be appreciated

Edited by jdhatt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant go wrong with Sandy Bridge, but if you're building this summer then the X68 boards/2nd gen Sandy Bridge CPU's might be out by then. Just something to consider.

I think the Deluxe/2500k is sexy though. For gaming, you probably won't want more than that (and the prices will probably be preferrable).

You don't need insane cooling to overclock the Sandy Bridge CPU's. Are you looking to get the biggest amount of airflow, are you looking for good cooling but silent performance, are you looking for something that looks cool? There is one for every niche out there. Might also look into some Liquid Coolers. The new Corsair H60 is the one I'm using for my build, and looks very promising.

I am using the G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB kit (8-8-8-24 @ 1.5V) and it is just amazing RAM. I have read great things about the Vengeance sets too, but I have to go with what I know. The Ripjaws is the best I've ever used... looks great with the Asus mobo color scheme too (Vengeance goes great with the Sabertooth boards though).

HAF-X case is just beast. Can't say anything else about it.

I think the HX850 is a great PSU. I'm aiming for the same one in my build...

Can't comment on the monitors specifically, but I've always had great quality from Asus monitors.

Deathadder is a great mouse. G110 keyboard is great as well (though pricey).

for the 2500k, the 212+ is plenty (I just built my friend a VERY similar setup and it got the chip to 4.5ghz at only 62C)

I'm curious as to why you are getting such a large OS drive?? Why not get an SSD (if you can afford it) or maybe a nice 500gb and then a 2TB LP for storage.

I'm going to bet money that the EVGA is overpriced, even if not an SC edition. I'd get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133370&cm_re=570-_-14-133-370-_-Product $305 after MIR (actually only $5 cheaper than the EVGA after both have their rebates but hey $5 less for the same thing with lifetime warranty)

I'd get this memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095 1333mhz is fine for an unlocked chip which doesn't need high memory speed to overclock. Anything more would be money well wasted :happy:

This motherboard is a WAY better deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582 has everything the other has except for the 2 esata ports (which honestly with usb3.0, aren't worthwhile), oh and if you want bluetooth: http://www.meritline.com/mini-type-wireless-bluetooth-usb-adapter-class-1-bluetooth-v-2---p-26876.aspx I have one of these and it works great. That asus is not worth $100 more at all IMHO

You dont 'need' the Deluxe. But the Asus P8P67 Pro is an excellent board with many of the same features (and really it doesnt lose anything you need).

I prefer Asus to MSI, but thats a personal preference.

hey guys,

thanks alot for the responses

@LuckyDeath, i WAS considering X68 until i realized the prices will be beyond ridiculous and way above my budget. i'm definitely leaning towards the ripjaws btw, i've heard nothing but spectacular reviews about them so im pretty pumped lol. i'm not really interested in water cooling, i just heard the noctua had great performance while staying relatively quiet so i was intrigued, i just want something lost lasting and be able to effectively cool whatever i may want to throw at it in the future. As for the keyboard, on sale for $65 :)

@ IVIYTH0S, i'm definitely considering like a 50gb SSD but ill have to wait on that as its moving away from my budget but ill definitely snag one if i can, but if not now i will definitely add it in the future. so i guess doing your nice 500gb and then 2TB setup seems like the smarter option for now :P. and ive just heard nothing but rave reviews on all the asus boards for the SB builds, but maybe ill read around a little more about the one you posted.

You dont 'need' the Deluxe. But the Asus P8P67 Pro is an excellent board with many of the same features (and really it doesnt lose anything you need).

I prefer Asus to MSI, but thats a personal preference.

yea i agree on this one, unless the MSI has unbelievable reviews i'd most likely be sticking with asus, their boards have yet to disappoint me

I'll make a review right now...that MSI board is seriously awesome. VERY user friendly (as ASUS boards often aren't in the 4 different Asus boards I've owned), high end components, great specs, amazing price.

Don't get an Asus board just to get one, that board clocked my friend's 2500k to 4.5ghz just fine and could have went higher if I had more time (stayed up to 4:30am, was too tired)

4.5 GHz isn't really mind blowing for Sandy Bridge though. I would expect to get 4.5 with just about any board. 4.7-4.8 is above average, and 5.0 is about as high as you can go. But some of these overclocks are limited to the chip, not the board.

I find Asus pretty user friendly, specially with the new UEFI BIOS. I know MSI has their own version, and I haven't been able to compare them side by side... but from what I've seen they are at least equally intuitive.

4.5 GHz isn't really mind blowing for Sandy Bridge though. I would expect to get 4.5 with just about any board. 4.7-4.8 is above average, and 5.0 is about as high as you can go. But some of these overclocks are limited to the chip, not the board.

I find Asus pretty user friendly, specially with the new UEFI BIOS. I know MSI has their own version, and I haven't been able to compare them side by side... but from what I've seen they are at least equally intuitive.

1. Yes thats the point I'm making, board doesn't really matter. I could have gone higher but was too tired.

2. MSI has the UEFI bios too, and it was very intuitive. Easiest bios I've ever used, and easiest OC I've ever done.

MSI has the UEFI bios too, and it was very intuitive. Easiest bios I've ever used, and easiest OC I've ever done.

I know MSI has their own version... but from what I've seen they are at least equally intuitive.

Ok, now you go again!