Sign in to follow this  
Demo3

Don't touch that!

Just thought I would share my n00bs moment with you guys...

I was in the process of putting my new baby together last week and since this is my first new build in several years I had to look at everything as I took it out of the static bags.

The smell of new electronics was heavy in the air and I soon became intoxicated and all my inhibitions were gone.

Sitting there on the floor with everything spread out around me, spinning fans, routing cables, planning my build in my head, I heard the small but persistent call of the motherboard.

So much has happen since socket 939 and I just had to see what 1155 had to reveal.

With the static bag in my lap I carefully laid the motherboard out in all its ASUS glory... nude as it were before my eyes.

Needless to say I had search long and hard for this board, it was the new updated mod. in it pristine and virgin state most likely never touched by human hands.

USB 3 out the wahzoo... SATA 6Gb/s... 2 I counted front panel USB 3s... DEEEELUXE *pant*

I had to expose it completely... there was only one thing that stood between my mind and complete understanding, the socket cover.

I quickly read the yellow warning sticker written for those with little or no experience with such delicate matters and followed them to the letter.

There is was, ten years of technology overdrive. I felt like I was suspended in time. Remembering the sockets of old and this new vision of the present revelation.

What was I seeing, my mind flexed to grasp the technology before me. YES... YES I had heard of this... it was coming back to me to me now.

Little rounded contacts that come into contact with the processor so that more area of the pins come into contact, increasing transfer speeds.

I had to become one with this... I had to touch..... DOH!!!

That cost me $250.00

FYI Bent some pins.

I deduce that Demo decided to touch the cpu socket pins and either bent them or caused a short due to esd.

This thread does sound a little bit like soft core computer prn............................

That cost me $250.00

FYI Bent some pins.

You can fix that with a steady hand and a needle. I'll take the board off of your hands if bent pins are the only problem. :)

bummer hope if i can ever afford one of those i dont do that to mine

You can fix that with a steady hand and a needle. I'll take the board off of your hands if bent pins are the only problem. :)

:withstupid:

I fixed an old intel 478 chip with nothing but an ordinary pocket knife blade and about 2 minutes of patience fidding and checking each angle

stupid.gif

I fixed an old intel 478 chip with nothing but an ordinary pocket knife blade and about 2 minutes of patience fidding and checking each angle

i had an old ibm cpu, i dropped and then imediatley stepped on bent 3/4s of the pins, i got it fixed in probably 20 minutes, just with my fingernails, dont ask me what cpu it was i dont know but it had a lot less pins than a 478 its still around here somewhere probably still works

I want that motherboard with the bent pins too!

I use a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver, a engineers pencil (lead removed) and razor blade to fix pins. You'll also need excellent eye sight and preferably a decent lighted tabletop magnifying glass.

I actually fixed and old one with a depilation tong from my mother ... LoL it's got to be the flat ones though