Sign in to follow this  
SpeedCrazy

OCC Tutorial of the Week: Picture downsizing.

How to down size images before posting.

By SpeedCrazy

We all lknow how annoying it is to open a thread and be greeted by huge images that take for ever to load and even longer to scroll past, not to mention how hard it is to see anything in them. So here is a simple method to downsize your pictures before posting them so that all of us can enjoy them.

Software you will need:

Gimp (Gimp is available for free download athttp://www.gimp.org//)

Or Photoshop (any version should do)

(for this tutorial I will be using GIMP)

Method.

1. Open the picture you want to downsize with GIMP.

post-72422-13013147340151_thumb.png

2. Hit, file ‘save as’.

3. Select JPEG file extension.

post-72422-13013147363284_thumb.png

4. A save quality window should pop up. Drag the slider to about 50% depending on your pictures original resolution. I use a 8mp camera and I down size my pics to about 30%.

post-72422-13013147399557_thumb.png post-72422-13013147416036_thumb.png

5. Hit save and you are ready to post. (Note: If one time through the process still results in a overly large file for uploading and viewing on the forum you can run this process multiple times.)

The resulting image should be about this size. (if you use the same mp camera and save settings as me.)

post-72422-13013148866096_thumb.jpg

Photoshop Method:

For those of you using Photoshop, the process should be almost identical to the GIMP process and if you want to downsize multiple pictures you can automate this process and do batch processing.

Batch Processing:

Open your image.

Hit File>Scripts>Image Processor.

post-72422-13013178408566_thumb.png

Select the folder of pics you want to process, the folder you want them saved in and then the quality level. Then hit run.

Finally, The Paint Method:

Open your image in paint.

post-72422-13013208134265_thumb.jpg

Hit resize.

post-72422-13013208935595_thumb.png

And enter the percentage reduction you would like to use.

There you go, two minutes of your time that will save you and others time when we try to view your picture heavy posts.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Not that there is anything wrong with the GIMP/Photoshop way of doing this but I thought I'd mention that you can resize pictures really fast and easy in Paint as well, at least on windows 7, I don't remember if paint could do it in XP or Vista.

Here is an example of one of my Crysis 2 screenshots that I reduced from 1680x1050 to... whatever 50% of that is. :lol:

Edited by Deathmineral

You can resize a photo in many freeware image viewers. For simpler stuff I like Faststone. I can resize/compress a photo for the web in the time it takes PS to load.

• Like 1

I wrote the tutorial using the software i have and know how to use.

So, how do you re-size in paint? there is no compression settings in it that i can find.

You can resize a photo in many freeware image viewers. For simpler stuff I like Faststone. I can resize/compress a photo for the web in the time it takes PS to load.

+1 for FastStone, this is one of my dad's favorite programs. I can't remember for sure but I think FastStone is able to resize multiple images, like you just queue them up. I might be thinking of another program with that but I'm pretty sure it's FastStone.

I wrote the tutorial using the software i have and know how to use.

So, how do you re-size in paint? there is no compression settings in it that i can find.

You just click resize and select the percentage you want to down size it to, I don't think there are any compression options. I mainly mentioned it so those that might not want to download another program or just want something really fast can use it.

Okay. I never knew that was there. Then again, that was the first time i opened paint in............ 6 months.

I will add it to the tutorial.

+1 for FastStone, this is one of my dad's favorite programs. I can't remember for sure but I think FastStone is able to resize multiple images, like you just queue them up. I might be thinking of another program with that but I'm pretty sure it's FastStone.

Yes, Faststone has a bunch of "batch" functions, including compression. For a whole folder you can convert type, resize, compress, rename, add text, add watermark, change DPI, etc... It is also the only program I know that will shuffle the image order in a folder, very useful for creating a slideshow.

If they would add the ability to create layers and replace colors with transparency I'd rarely need any other program.

Instead of editing by percentages, I tend to go by size (pixels) and maintaining the aspect ratio. I just keep the height at 600 pixels if it's a landscape, or the width at 600 if it's a vertical picture. Nice tutorial! I quite dislike opening a picture that's like 2560 x 1600...

Instead of editing by percentages, I tend to go by size (pixels) and maintaining the aspect ratio. I just keep the height at 600 pixels if it's a landscape, or the width at 600 if it's a vertical picture. Nice tutorial! I quite dislike opening a picture that's like 2560 x 1600...

+1 about that large a pic. 1 of the screen shots i took for this almost needed this done to it. The pic of paint open with my test pi for some reason came out at 3 mbs. IDK how snip makes such high res pics because normally they are 60kb.

Yeah I use paint to resize them, its quick and simple :thumbsup:

Hmmm, rather than just using the compression settings, why not actually resize the image? (Like the paint method at the end of the post)

I'd say for posting pictures in threads, then anything 1000px or less on the longest side is fine, and you can keep the JPEG compression settings (if you have them) at about 80%.

That way you don't hurt the quality of the picture so much, just the size.