How do Youtube's video quality settings work?

Avinexis

Hey guys! I was hoping you could help clear up some confusion.

Obviously Youtube rolled out its video quality settings a long time ago, but I'm wondering how the process works when it comes to creating different quality versions of the videos based on the users preference? For example, why does a video uploaded at 1080p then subsequently have viewing options at 360p, 480p and 720p as well?

Also, 1080p means that the video was uploaded at a resolution of, or higher than xxxx x 1080, so how is it that a monitor with a native resolution of say, 720p, can still view 1080p video?

Cheers in advance :thumbsup: If I have any other questions I'll be sure to ask!

For example, why does a video uploaded at 1080p then subsequently have viewing options at 360p, 480p and 720p as well?

Youtube processes video to give different quality options so that there is some flexibility in playback.

There are a few reasons why this is a good idea:

- Lower quality options require less bandwidth, so load faster (great for people with slower connections).

- Some computers won't be fast enough to play back the HD options (such as my netbook for example)

- Unless you are watching in full screen, or have the player expanded to a suitable size for HD playback, there isn't much point in using those options (apart from maybe for an improvement in the encoded audio quality, which accompanies higher quality video options).

Also, 1080p means that the video was uploaded at a resolution of, or higher than xxxx x 1080, so how is it that a monitor with a native resolution of say, 720p, can still view 1080p video?

For the same reason you can play back 1080p video in any media player - Scaling. Simple as that.

Obviously there wouldn't be much point in playing 1080p video on a display with a smaller resolution, but it will just scale to fit the screen (which yes, does mean it isn't really 1080p any more).

Youtube processes video to give different quality options so that there is some flexibility in playback.

There are a few reasons why this is a good idea:

- Lower quality options require less bandwidth, so load faster (great for people with slower connections).

- Some computers won't be fast enough to play back the HD options (such as my netbook for example)

- Unless you are watching in full screen, or have the player expanded to a suitable size for HD playback, there isn't much point in using those options (apart from maybe for an improvement in the encoded audio quality, which accompanies higher quality video options).

For the same reason you can play back 1080p video in any media player - Scaling. Simple as that.

Obviously there wouldn't be much point in playing 1080p video on a display with a smaller resolution, but it will just scale to fit the screen (which yes, does mean it isn't really 1080p any more).

This is pretty good explanation.

I was just going to tell him it was magic and to go play in the street. :D

I very rarely watch anything over 360p, it loads faster and doesn't look TOO bad depending ton the source video.

If I'm watching something where the quality is important then I'll occasionally fling it up to 720p, pause it and then come back to it later when it has fully loaded.