SpeedCrazy

2.1 or 5.7 or what?

Hey guys,

I am looking to have some fun and plan a project to upgrade my (lousy) audio system.

To begin with i just have 2 questions but i will have more.

1. What is the difference between 2.1 and 5.1 channel audio?

2. What channel do i need to have a sub and at least three satellites? I want to put 2 satellites on my desk and the third by my bed. I dont think i want surround sound as then the speaker by my bed would be next to useless for quiet music.

Thanks

Speed

I would go 2.1 if you listen to music a lot or game. I would recommend these two systems for 2.1.

Corsair SP2500 - used these in Microcenter, SICK, but hefty price :/

Logitech Z263 - seen these in person, my neighbor at school has em' and knock loud man. Great Mid's and Low's.

For 5.1, I'd recommend these.

Logitech Z506 - seen these too, great response, real deep clear Bass.

BTW: If you ain't really sure, look up videos on YouTube of different speakers, that really helps me out when I'm looking to upgrade.

Edited by MJCRO

if you want extra speakers near your bed why not just buy a small 2 channel usb set. When you go to bed switch audio output to the usb set and bingo

the first number indicates how many full range speakers that it supports, the .1 means that it supports a sub-woofer. almost everything now a days is compatible with a sub-woofer, so the .1 is kind of a moot statement. now about having a 3 speaker setup, that might be difficult because i dont know if there is a 3.1 standard.

problems come about when you use an incompatible speaker setup with the wrong standard, you will experience sound loss. Like a conversation is really far away or muffled. this can come about when a 5.1 stereo with only 2 speakers and a woofer tries to push out 90% of the volume through the back satellites, and they aren't there so all you get is the 10% from the front. (made up percentages just a generalization, the concept holds true though.)

Edited by Griever2003

OK, now you know the difference between 2.1 and 5.1.

Also if you want "at least" three satellites then it's probably going to be 5.1

The next question to ask yourself is this:

What are you going to be listening to and where are you going to be listening to it? (Cover all the possibilities and which are going to be used most often)

Edited by jammin

Well, i listen to FLAC or better recordings most of the time and i barely game. So from what ya'll are saying do i want to go 5.1. Though 1 question about that. If i go 5.1 but dont have 5 speakers hooked up, will it sound odd?

Surround sound systems are great, IF you can propely space and place the speakers, something most people canot do, usualy because of splace limitations. For most computer users a 2.1 system is more than enough.

The BEST 2.1 speakers made where the Klipsch Pro Media. I have tried a lot of speakers and NONE sound as good. In fact I like them so much that I actually keep a brand new set in the closet just in case.

The BEST 2.1 speakers made where the Klipsch Pro Media. I have tried a lot of speakers and NONE sound as good. In fact I like them so much that I actually keep a brand new set in the closet just in case.

+1 on those set of speakers. My brother uses them on his computer. I got an extra Subwoofer from that kit, but don't feel like spending the $50 to purchase matching speakers and control unit.

Just stick to 2.1. With music its just 2 channels, so if you had a 5.1 you would only get sound from the front left and right speakers. Unless you tweaked sound settings to let it play stereo on all speakers. If you watch movies and play games, then 5.1 will benefit from that for spacial awareness.

To answer your question, yes you can have any number of speakers connected to your PC. You can also set it to output anything you want if the sound card supports it. However if you put 3.1 (hardware you have) with output of 5.1 (software).

It probably won't effect music as much, but if you were to watch a video or play a game. It would really be noticeable. You will notice sound from certain angles are non-existence unless you turn that way (games and also movies, except you can't turn that way :D).

Edited by Krazyxazn

So you barely game.

Do you watch movies at all?

Because if you don't really do that either, then 5.1 seems like a waste to me.

Where is your primary listening position and what is your room layout like?

From what you are saying you like to listen in bed as well as sitting at your computer.