My Custom Build

LuckyDeath

OK I've been a gamer for a while now... I've upgraded several systems but this will be my first all out DIY. Its meant to be enthusiast performance on a budget. I'll be overclocking, gaming at high res/high settings, and also doing database stuff with large files.

I'm not seeking the absolute best available for everything, I'm seeking the best available for the price (value). Got a wedding coming up this year, so I can't afford to stretch my budget much (~$1100).

Case: Zalman Z9 Plus, Xion Predator 970, or Thermaltake V9 BlacX.

I like the low cost of the Z9 Plus, and it has lots of features. The Predator can be set up for some pretty good airflow I think. The BlacX mainly I like for the dual-swap bays, but the tool-free options are nice too.

GPU: I already own a Sapphire 2GB 5870. I'll stick with this card for now, and probably crossfire it in the next year or so. I had a difficult time determining if all the cases I listed would fit 2 of these cards (~10.5 in. ea), while I know they should all fit at least 1. I don't want them to 'fit' with no space for airflow.

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro for future crossfiring. I considered the P8P67-M Pro, but I don't know if I want the size restrictions for my CPU cooler/RAM that come with the micro-ATX board.

RAM: Already have a kit of the new G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5V. I'll be using this kit.

CPU: Intel I5-2500k. Does that even need to be said right now?

CPU Cooler: While I would love a Noctua DH-14, I think the size is too restrictive. I'm now considering the Zalman CNPS10x or the CoolerMaster V6. Leaning towards the Zalman for its low noise/good performance ratio.

PSU: I've found good deals on either the Seasonic X-760 (Gold 80+, fully modular, awesome unit) but also a cheaper Corsair TX850 V2 (Silver 80+). I love Corsair products, so I might be leaning towards the TX850 V2.

Hard Drives: I'll be using a SSD for the primary drive and a platter for data storage. The SSD doesn't have to be top of the line, but I'm preferring at least Sandforce controller speeds. Capacity no more than 128GB. Right now it looks like the OCZ Vertex 2 90GB. Hard Drive will be a Western Digital Caviar Black.

I've got some Arctic MX-2 thermal compound to grease the CPU with.

Any comments, suggestions, or recommendations on the parts I've listed?

Thanks!

It looks good. I only have 2 suggestions.

1. Why not go AMD for price. Look at the X4 or X6. They are very fast for the price and beat Intel in the price to performance ratio. Plus you already have perfect ram for the CPU. You would gain 2 cores and save 100-200 dollars.

2 You said you wanted a good CPU cooler like the Noctua DH-14. Why get the Zalman or CoolerMaster when you could get a Corsair H50 or H70? Smaller and just as good if not better.

It looks good. I only have 2 suggestions.

1. Why not go AMD for price. Look at the X4 or X6. They are very fast for the price and beat Intel in the price to performance ratio. Plus you already have perfect ram for the CPU. You would gain 2 cores and save 100-200 dollars.

2 You said you wanted a good CPU cooler like the Noctua DH-14. Why get the Zalman or CoolerMaster when you could get a Corsair H50 or H70? Smaller and just as good if not better.

1. I would only recommend getting AMD for the price if another part of the build (for example, the GPU) suffers as a result of not having enough money, but the other parts of his build aren't bad at all in comparison to his selected processor.

2. I agree, the H50 and H70 are really awesome and easy to setup.

1. I would only recommend getting AMD for the price if another part of the build (for example, the GPU) suffers as a result of not having enough money, but the other parts of his build aren't bad at all in comparison to his selected processor.

2. I agree, the H50 and H70 are really awesome and easy to setup.

Just in case you wanted to save some money. But you don't have to. I heard money goes on trees at Intel. :whistling:

Edited by Black6464

:withstupid:

My vote is seasonic.

I also agree with black, why not get a h50/h70 instead?

cheers

I've heard the installation of the H50 in particular can be kind of tricky. Not entirely sure how I feel about liquid cooling yet. Even closed loop systems. If my heatsink doesn't work its just a matter of replacing a fan. If the LC fails I would be clueless.

I picked the i5 2500k for its performance over the Thuban CPUs. I'm sure Bulldozer will probably give some better budget options, so if they launch it soon then I'm sure AMD would have a good budget alternative to Sandy Bridge. Also, if the AM3 socket is phased out after Bulldozer, going with the X4/X6 would make me invested in a motherboard that will never see another CPU upgrade. Not saying LG 1155 will be around forever, but I don't expect Intel to change the socket before another year or two. Gives me an upgrade path in the future.

Anyone got thoughts on those 3 cases? Or have a clue about my crossfired 5870's fitting alright?

well, the 5870 should be able to fit into the zalman seeing as it has a clearance of 29cm. It also fits in the thermaltake and predator.

As for xfire, im not too sure, i think they should fit. What budget do you have for a case and where are you buying from?

I completely agree with getting the i5 2500k, would not go for amd.

Cheers

Case budget I wouldn't like to go over $100. I'm not a stickler for looks, but I like features. The 3 cases I listed I thought were pricier but had some good features for mid towers, as well as good clearance for expansion. But I honestly read case reviews all day long and still find differing opinions, claims, etc. Its probably the single component I feel is the hardest to pick... probably because it's the first time I'll be putting everything inside it start to finish, I'm a little timid about picking a dud.

So, case suggestions for $100 and under, preferring mid-towers but I'll consider full if the features warrant the extra size. But if a mid tower can do the job, why go bigger?

For the case I would have to recommend anything from coolermaster or antec. Lots of space, good looks, excellent cable management and great cooling. Some are under a 100 though to. Mine was. :biggrin:

So I've decided I'll go with the CM 690 ii Advanced. Little pricer, but the feature set for a mid tower is pretty outstanding.

Probably gonna go with the Corsair AX750 PSU (found it cheaper than the Seasonic somehow).

I think I'm gonna go with the Corsair H60 for cooling. Its newer, and I have read that installation is made much easier, as well as improved performance (comparable or better to the H70).

So now I just need to figure out where to start. In the past I've always had the machine, and I just bought parts to change out... I've never started from scratch before. Should I order everything at once, or piece by piece (case --> mobo & cpu --> cooler --> psu)? I understand I can't use it till I get everything, I'm just concerned about shipping all of those parts at once. Anyone know how Newegg would pack all of it? I'd rather not get 8 different packages, my Landlord would hate me.