Sourround sound setup need

xPETEZx

Hi Guys,

For years I have had surround sound on my PC in the form of the Z-5500's, which I love!

I now also have a media PC/TV set-up, and am only using the TV's speakers, time has come to change! I want surround sound on there too.

I do not want to go with PC speakers for this, as I will be connecting other HDMI devices.

I would like this setup to be as future proof as possible, and to sound as good as possible.

The budget is £400.

I need:

Amplifier

5.1 Speakers

If at all possible, Id like to buy from here: Richer Sounds UK

There is a store near by where I could pick everything up in store. They also offer great warranties.

Thanks

I'd strongly recommend spending your entire budget on the AV Receiver and a pair of floorstanders (or bookshelf speakers with stands/brackets) for the front left/right...

You need the front speakers to be as high quality as possible... you can "make do" with very high quality stereo for now, and then add a sub, the rears, and the centre, later on...

Although this isn't exactly sticking to budget or giving you an instant full solution, I think if you invest in really solid front speakers, the system will overall be one that you can use for decades, and add to as you go along...

I'd strongly recommend spending your entire budget on the AV Receiver and a pair of floorstanders (or bookshelf speakers with stands/brackets) for the front left/right...

You need the front speakers to be as high quality as possible... you can "make do" with very high quality stereo for now, and then add a sub, the rears, and the centre, later on...

Although this isn't exactly sticking to budget or giving you an instant full solution, I think if you invest in really solid front speakers, the system will overall be one that you can use for decades, and add to as you go along...

+1

While speakers are important it is the receiver that needs to be future proof as upgrading that will be more expensive than upgrading speakers. Also the front speakers are going to be the most important speakers as everything will use them, so get good ones of those.

Does the store have discounted items? My receiver sold for I think $500-700 when I bought it for $200. It was a floor model so I got it nice and cheap. (It was never plugged in on the floor though, so it was never used, just looked at and touched). Maybe you can be as lucky.

Thanks for the suggestions. But this does not help me at all.

I still do not know what to look for in a receiver, or in speakers. Let alone which brand or model.

I would be going purely on price.

Also keep in mind, the source of the audio is going to be DVDs & MP3's. So there is no point me spending an arm & a leg on speakers that are going to need a better source than that.

As much as I can appreciate the need for good front speakers, it is far more important to me to have 5.1 from the off. So given the £400 I have, would you anyone be able to make a suggestion?

It seems with audio no matter what the budget, people will always recommend stuff that either dosen't fulfil the requirements, or dosen't suit the budget. :(

As long as the setup is better than the Z-5500's I am use to (and love!) I am going to be completely happy.

Well hardnrg's advice is really good, it really is the best way to build a good surround system on a budget, yea you don't have surround right a way, but you have the good basics that you can expand on and add to later. Personally I really like Onkyo receivers and Klipsch speakers, but that's my preference other people like othe brands, I know Denon is also a popular choice for good receivers. Again the best way to do it is as hardnrg said get a good receiver and good front floor standing speakers then add to it later.

Maybe since what you seem to want is just a quick and easy surround system, you could get a home theater-in-a-box setup. But I don't really recommend them, as they tend to be cheaply built and proprietary, meaning if later on you want to upgrade components you usually can't. And the people I know who have bought them have all regretted it, because they broke and/or were very limited.

Edited by RimX

How about this receiver: Onkyo TXSR308

With this speaker package: Tannoy SFX 5.1 - or Silver for £20 less

Bound to sound better than your Z-5500

Thanks Jammin :)

I had eyed up those speakers from browsing through the ranger already. But as I said I have no idea what brands/specs etc to look for or avoid.

That amp should do what I need. All I will have hooked up to it for starters is a Media PC and optical audio back out from the TV. (Blu-Ray player on the way, either in the form of an optical drive, or stand-alone. will see :) )

• 3 weeks later...

Went into Richer Sounds over the weekend, and have been recommended the Onkyo TNXR509 (With network!) and the Tannoy SFX5.1.

Managed to get 10%, so going to pick both up for £495! (Pushed the budget to the maX!)

Will report back how it is :)

• 2 weeks later...

Right, all setup configured and happy!

Some pics:

All boxed up and ready to install:

http://img845.imageshack.us/i/img8343c.jpg

AMP:

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/img85591024x683.jpg

Whole setup:

http://img807.imageshack.us/i/img85601024x683.jpg

Initial impressions:

The receiver is fantastic! The menus are very easy to navigate, and the remote is very simple. Not like most remotes I have seen. On the plus side it can also fully control my TV, and links with "Sharp AQUS" link meaning the TV switch the AMP on/off automaticly :D

The network side of it is fantastic too!

Means I can listen to my entire libary from my server. The interface is not very friendly for viewing large amounts of media, as it presents it in a massive list. (11k song list...) It does pickup play lists, so the best way to easy listen is via a play list.

It also connects to Last.fm, but you need the subscribe service :(

Lastly, you get a very cool button on Windows 7 PCs when you right click a media file the AMP can play, namely "Play to" which does just that! Very nice!

The speakers sound great! The Full auto callibration really worked wonders. First only used the "Quick setup" which sounded fine, but then the difference after running a full calibration was in sane!

Onto the next challenge! Blu-Ray player and/or a Bit-streaming sound card for my Media PC.

I am led to believe the PS3 is still the best Blu-Ray player around?

EDIT: Apparently I am not allowed to use the image tag on this board. Please click the links to see the pictures. Cheers :)

Edited by xPETEZx