SSD for MBP2011 in a few months.

klinic

I can see your skeptical looks now. A Macbook Pro? On OCC? Who is this new guy? Well, yeah, I admit it's kinda weird, I am an overclocker at heart, but this thing is the only laptop that will suit me for Uni. And I DO like OSX. :blush:

Anyway, this things is going to be used for HEAVY video and music editing ON THE GO. Windows side will be used for 3DS Max and a game or two maybe. I need a solid state drive with enough capacity for editing (but not storing) the videos and to have OSX, the Adobe CS5 master collection, Maya, Zbrush, a Windows 7 install, 3DS Max, steam, 1 or 2 games and Sonar X1. Music, pictures and movies will be stored on a server and my iPhone, so I don't need space for those.

I don't have the cash to shell out for a 512 SSD or even a 256 SSD from the factory, so I'm looking for a third party drive that is compatible with a 2011 MBP to upgrade later. Apart from the current project there will not be very much if anything else on this computer. Office suite and an IM Client I guess, but I don't need a lot of room to grow. Just space for these programs and for one or two (if possible) current projects.

Thanks for the advice guys, hope we can get along even though I am getting a mac. :P

First, welcome to OCC.

Unless you already bought it, I would say make yourself a hackintosh. You'll have much less headaches looking for compatible hardware.

Edited by TheHippi

First, welcome to OCC.

Unless you already bought it, I would say make yourself a hackintosh. You'll have much less headaches looking for compatible hardware.

I considered a Hackintosh, but there doesn't really seem to be anything with the same high quality screen, lightweight and incredible build quality and most importantly BATTERY LIFE of the MBP. I'm also hoping Thunderbolt will take off, and that will be another major plus. Also, I've heard of lots of problems with compatibility with Hackintoshs, which seems to cancel out the fact that I can get more hardware in there, also, apart from this one SSD I can't imagine myself modding a laptop a whole lot.

Still, I should consider all possibilities. Value for money isn't Apples thing, are there any laptops you could recommend that might be able to do the job?

And thanks for the welcome. :thx:

Actually, I though Apple only allowed proprietary ssd's, but I guess you can use just about any ssd. That's why I recommended a hackintosh, so I guess I don't see a tangible reason to not get a mac, excluding the fact that it's an Apple product :P.

I don't really keep up with laptops all that well, so you might want to start another topic looking for a parallel to a mbp.

OCZ vertex 2 or Crucial C300. If you don't mind waiting a bit you can get a vertex 3 which will destroy just about anything else short of RAID arrays.

As the title says, I've got up to a few months to wait.

The Vertex 3 seems phenomenal. Although I don't know that I'll be able to afford it. Those numbers look... menacing. Even if it's too expensive, it might drive down other SSDs enough for me to get a larger capacity drive.

As the title says, I've got up to a few months to wait.

The Vertex 3 seems phenomenal. Although I don't know that I'll be able to afford it. Those numbers look... menacing. Even if it's too expensive, it might drive down other SSDs enough for me to get a larger capacity drive.

The 120GB are supposedly only going to be $250. I have no idea how they're going to do it but it's fricking amazing.

The 120GB are supposedly only going to be $250. I have no idea how they're going to do it but it's fricking amazing.

And the Mac Book Pro 'Apple' SSD is only $108 for the 128 GB version. O.o

I never thought I'd see Apple being the cheaper alternative. Although I'm sure the OCZ is a far superior drive.