Sign in to follow this  
Black64

Gaming OS

If that is true then why does every game console beat the PC in boot time? My Xbox 360 (when I had it) boots faster then my PC. Which, by the way is far faster.

Consoles are a specialized "computer" from their OS to the hardware. their hardware is not like that of a computer specifically because the buses are built better and their specialized OS utilize those buses more efficiently. a console essentially has like a 32x pcie bus for graphics (over exaggerated example) and the CPU utilizes every bit of it and that goes along with the rest of the hardware, if you have ever opened up a 360 you would see that their Mobo contains more specialized links between I/O and CPU.

the OS' boot faster because they do not do as much in pre-boot i.e. registry checks and the sort.

in a nutshell consoles are built to use much cheaper technology yet utilize it past its normal capacity.

EDIT: clarified "statistic" , also note that Microsoft embosses their name on the mobo LOL (under llama)

Edited by Griever2003

If that is true then why does every game console beat the PC in boot time? My Xbox 360 (when I had it) boots faster then my PC. Which, by the way is far faster.

What do boot times have to do with how efficiently your software runs on your OS?

Not to mention a "gamer" oriented OS already exists on 3 very well known computer entertainment devices.

The 360, the wii, and the PS3 all run an OS geared for handling gaming as a primary function.

:3

What do boot times have to do with how efficiently your software runs on your OS?

Total system hardware power subtracted by OS+ bios checks + startup programs+background programs= boot time

then

Total system power subtracted by OS system usage+background programs system usage=software efficiency

Not to mention a "gamer" oriented OS already exists on 3 very well known computer entertainment devices.

The 360, the wii, and the PS3 all run an OS geared for handling gaming as a primary function.

:3

that's true but what I am saying is there needs to be one for PC. So we can use custom hardware. Kinda like a build your own Xbox/PS3/Wii but the only constant is the software that has been optimized for gaming.

No thanks. A pure gaming OS wouldn't work for me at all. It's like when I used to dual boot Ubuntu. I would always have to reboot to play games in Windows. I eventually changed Windows to my main boot then eventually removed Ubuntu.

I don't just game on my PC nor do I just game on my consoles. I want my OS' to be able to do many things.

If you want fast bootup: Get an SSD

If you don't want Windows hogging: Get 8 GB RAM (Or something like "Game Booster")

Most game installs usually run DirectX Runtime Installer anyways.

Windows keeps track of your drivers mostly, except beta drivers.

I have never liked steam that much. Why do I need a program(steam) to run another program(a game)? This is exactly what we don't need, more programs running. Would rather just have them give me a download link and key and install it myself.

Steam isn't the only digital distribution site (and you need Steam client for verification that you actually own the games you're running).

Valve has done a lot of great things with Steam.

Integrated Friends List, Web Browser, Steam Bucks, Mods advertised next to their Games, Discounts, Guest Passes, Free Weekends, and etc.

If you can't get over the hump that it requires you to run the client to play games, then I really don't know what to say. Steam has a lot to offer.

Edited by Krazyxazn

mac os

in case you haven't noticed i'm joking

microsoft could release something like the xbox os only for games for windows or something...and a some special place for gfx drivers etc...

Edited by Dan The Gamer

I was thinking wouldn't it be a cool idea if someone made a OS for just gaming. For example take the Xbox 360 and PS3 they use custom made software that optimizes the hardware. We need that for PC's. Almost like a windows for gamers. Think about how much hardware power goes to waste from Windows extra junk they keep running all the time. Here is what i think it would need.

Compatible with all windows games

Minimal background processes and programs

Quickly boot

Latest hardware drivers support (physx and Direct X)

Do you think it is possible? Will it ever be done?

What you are talking about is an expensive and glorified console. What makes PCs better than consoles is the versatility they offer, as soon as you take that away then you are basically making another console. What do you need to change anyway? I mean even shutting down all the non essential background apps in Windows you might only game a frame or 2 per second, not enough to even notice except in bechmarks. Quick boot times? how about 12 seconds? That is my boot time from beginning till usable, SSDs already give us a ton of speed. The hardware support we alreayd have now.

Essentially the oinly thing you would gain would be a few frames per second you would never notice. Is it possible, dure. Will it ever be done, already has of sorts with Xbox and Playstation. Would I give up my PC for it, not on your life.

What you are talking about is an expensive and glorified console. What makes PCs better than consoles is the versatility they offer, as soon as you take that away then you are basically making another console. What do you need to change anyway? I mean even shutting down all the non essential background apps in Windows you might only game a frame or 2 per second, not enough to even notice except in bechmarks. Quick boot times? how about 12 seconds? That is my boot time from beginning till usable, SSDs already give us a ton of speed. The hardware support we alreayd have now.

Essentially the oinly thing you would gain would be a few frames per second you would never notice. Is it possible, dure. Will it ever be done, already has of sorts with Xbox and Playstation. Would I give up my PC for it, not on your life.

Gaming first, everything else last. So maybe it is a "expensive and glorified console" but thats just fine. Thats how I want my PC to be. :cool2:

"Will it ever be done, already has of sorts with Xbox and Playstation. Would I give up my PC for it, not on your life." right with you :cheers:

Edited by Black6464

"expensive and glorified console" but thats just fine. Thats how I want my PC to be. :cool2:

Would I give up my PC for it, not on your life." right with you :cheers:

You seem to be confused. You say you want an expensive and glorified console? But you won't give up the PC. Yet you want to dumb down the PC to just playing games like a console... I don't see your logic. Hardware performance aside a console OS is very limiting and you're going to put those limitations on something that can do so much more.

Good old Amdahl's Law: Improving a feature cannot improve performance beyond the use of that feature.

Edited by Krazyxazn

You seem to be confused. You say you want an expensive and glorified console? But you won't give up the PC. Yet you want to dumb down the PC to just playing games like a console... I don't see your logic. Hardware performance aside a console OS is very limiting and you're going to put those limitations on something that can do so much more.

Try this, play supreme commander on xbox 360. Now go play it on what I described. See the difference.

Look I am not saying I want a Console Clone OS that only plays games and nothing else, just a gaming orientated and designed operating system for my computer.

Edited by Black6464

I think what the OP is talking about is similar to this article I read on TechSpot. It is not necessarily the OS that gets in the way, it is the API that everyone must work with! It's all about compatibility really and because of that we (PC gamers) are left with a superior machine with inferior performance (compared to consoles) :yucky:

Edited by ivangela