Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Jump4h

The latest Assassin's Creed game released on the PC a couple of days ago. My mind is simply blown.

As a "sort of" history major (the Finnish education system cannot really be compared to the American one) I absolutely love this game. They have stated themselves that nothing in this game is denied by the history books - take this with a grain of salt though.

I absolutely love the gameplay mechanics. I thought that even AC2 had a bit too repetitive stuff to do (although that didn't bother me as I absolutely loved it) but Brotherhood, in my opinion, has no repetitive stuff. Want to assassinate someone? Fine. Want to help some citizens? Fine. Want to burn down some towers? Superb!

My one complaint in AC2 was that it had no replay feature of missions. This has obviously been a big pain for many people, as they have implented the replay feature in EVERY mission in Brothehood. Missions also feature a "100% sync" feature, which means you have to do something specific to gain perfect sync (e.g. kill someone with a certain weapon, complete something in a set period of time).

AC:B also has multiplayer, which is quite alright considering it is the first of it's kind. When playing too agressively I found myself being "freezed" and then killed 1 second later as my enemy had locked on to me. Might be fixed in a patch, doubt it. What I do not doubt is that in the next game the multiplayer will be improved.

The world is also huge compared to AC2, I think one of the developers said three times bigger. You also do not have to horseback ride 20 minutes to get to a location as there is an underground tunnel system, a bit like fast travel in FO3.

So far, after playing 20h of it, I have not noticed any bugs, graphical or gameplay.

Also, to all you ubisoft haters, I would like to point out that the "always online" DRM has been removed. Although it did not bother me, I can see where it would hinder someone.

However, as a result of this, it has already been cracked and is on thepiratebay, whereas AC2 remained uncracked for at least 40 days (this has to be some kind of a record :D)

TL;DNR: A history fan will love this game, tons better than AC2, no annoying DRM

Edited by Jump4h

I've been playing this for a few days and I think that this is in some ways, the worst Assassins Creed game made so far, while the first one I think was the best one.

The only reason that I'm even bothering with this is because I think that assassins creed has a very unique gameplay revolving around a very well executed free-running system, and the historic locations that look pretty damn good and the city is huge even though it's a bunch of different models stacked in different ways with the exceptions of certain monuments. I'm playing through the missions so that I can give some meaning to the otherwise redundant free running which is still fun for me, and because I'd like to get rid of the game at some point and do some other more meaningful stuff.

As for why it's the worst of the 3 games, well the first thing I noticed when I started playing was the awful voice acting and crappy punch lines or whatever... It might kind of be fine for Desomond, but inside the animus the way they talk and the things they say are just stupid. Also some of the things that the town people say is recycled from the first game. Next on the list is the representation of the assassins. In the first game it really gave the impression that it was a secret organization with strict rules n stuff, In the second and mostly in the third, they seem more like a bunch of goofy guys running around doing other peoples chores with very little 'real assassin work'. Altair was a much bigger bada$$ than Ezio. The story is nowhere nearly as good as the one in the first game and most of the missions are quite boring even if they aren't repetitive, with the exception of the final missions that are fun in some parts but not as much in others, and the only real challenge is doing the full synchronization objectives. Another thing is the shops that I think are dumb since they supposedly sell assassin armor and weapons which had to be acquire in the first game by gaining ranks. Now you just go and buy it from random shops which gives the impression that anyone could buy it, making the assassins less unique in a way. I think the idea of getting the armor and weapons from shops whenever u want is fine, but just not random shops on the street, maybe it would have been better if they had a special forge that would create those custom pieces for the assassins. Also I find the management and overall use of the little assassin minions kind of boring and the way you recruit them. Management and leveling is as good as it could be I guess... It's simple and effective but still overall not something I like to do. Not to mention that there is never any real reason to use them (except in mission to achieve full synch). Finally, the Romulus armor is ridiculous. Ezio looks like a clown. Altair's clothing was way cooler looking. Assassin Creed 2's clothes were fine but in 3 it's just all around bad. It doesn't look like something that an assassin would wear and be comfortable in. Though this isn't that big of a problem.. it's more of a personal taste.

Multiplayer looks like something that wasn't thought out at all and they just included it to augment the replay value a little without actually having any real plans for it. Before the game was released I was really looking forward the the Assassins creed multiplayer since the gameplay of the game was unique from any other and a multiplayer for that has much greater potential than what they made.

Graphics are fine... not much different from the first game which doesn't bother me at all since they had more time for other things (which apparently don't include making the game better). This is probably the reason why there are problems that are still present from the first and second game. They could have at least fixed some of the bugs n stuff and made improvements without changing the whole thing. Like the blood effects which were better in the first game and worst in the last. Also the accuracy of the hidden blade kills which most of the time isn't where it's supposed to be. For example when you stab someone in the head you can see that the blade will be outside of the actual head. Basically lots of clipping issues. Same for other weapons and clothes. Also I find it very annyoing that when the guy switches with the guard armors to infiltrate in certain missions, you still have the hidden blades but don't actually see them as you would if you were in your normal assassin clothes and left clicked which would make Ezio show the blades.

I kind of think that Ubisoft tried to do something similar to what Activison/Treyarh are doing with CoD but obviously it isn't working so well. Assassins creed 1 was for me the best overall game, and Assassins Creed 2 had many issues fixed but kind of started falling apart in others. If they were combined together it could give the perfect Assassins creed but whatever. It's like of like the case of the Prince of Persia games. First one was quite good but the combat was dull, second one had improvements over some things, but broke others. You'd think that the third would combine all the good elements from the two previos games and make it even better, but third was just sucky along with the final one that I don't know what they were thinking when they were making it.

Edited by sack_patrol

I've been playing this for a few days and I think that this is in some ways, the worst Assassins Creed game made so far, while the first one I think was the best one.

The only reason that I'm even bothering with this is because I think that assassins creed has a very unique gameplay revolving around a very well executed free-running system, and the historic locations that look pretty damn good and the city is huge even though it's a bunch of different models stacked in different ways with the exceptions of certain monuments. I'm playing through the missions so that I can give some meaning to the otherwise redundant free running which is still fun for me, and because I'd like to get rid of the game at some point and do some other more meaningful stuff.

As for why it's the worst of the 3 games, well the first thing I noticed when I started playing was the awful voice acting and crappy punch lines or whatever... It might kind of be fine for Desomond, but inside the animus the way they talk and the things they say are just stupid. Also some of the things that the town people say is recycled from the first game. Next on the list is the representation of the assassins. In the first game it really gave the impression that it was a secret organization with strict rules n stuff, In the second and mostly in the third, they seem more like a bunch of goofy guys running around doing other peoples chores with very little 'real assassin work'. Altair was a much bigger bada$$ than Ezio. The story is nowhere nearly as good as the one in the first game and most of the missions are quite boring even if they aren't repetitive, with the exception of the final missions that are fun in some parts but not as much in others, and the only real challenge is doing the full synchronization objectives. Another thing is the shops that I think are dumb since they supposedly sell assassin armor and weapons which had to be acquire in the first game by gaining ranks. Now you just go and buy it from random shops which gives the impression that anyone could buy it, making the assassins less unique in a way. I think the idea of getting the armor and weapons from shops whenever u want is fine, but just not random shops on the street, maybe it would have been better if they had a special forge that would create those custom pieces for the assassins. Also I find the management and overall use of the little assassin minions kind of boring and the way you recruit them. Management and leveling is as good as it could be I guess... It's simple and effective but still overall not something I like to do. Not to mention that there is never any real reason to use them (except in mission to achieve full synch). Finally, the Romulus armor is ridiculous. Ezio looks like a clown. Altair's clothing was way cooler looking. Assassin Creed 2's clothes were fine but in 3 it's just all around bad. It doesn't look like something that an assassin would wear and be comfortable in. Though this isn't that big of a problem.. it's more of a personal taste.

Multiplayer looks like something that wasn't thought out at all and they just included it to augment the replay value a little without actually having any real plans for it. Before the game was released I was really looking forward the the Assassins creed multiplayer since the gameplay of the game was unique from any other and a multiplayer for that has much greater potential than what they made.

Graphics are fine... not much different from the first game which doesn't bother me at all since they had more time for other things (which apparently don't include making the game better). This is probably the reason why there are problems that are still present from the first and second game. They could have at least fixed some of the bugs n stuff and made improvements without changing the whole thing. Like the blood effects which were better in the first game and worst in the last. Also the accuracy of the hidden blade kills which most of the time isn't where it's supposed to be. For example when you stab someone in the head you can see that the blade will be outside of the actual head. Basically lots of clipping issues. Same for other weapons and clothes. Also I find it very annyoing that when the guy switches with the guard armors to infiltrate in certain missions, you still have the hidden blades but don't actually see them as you would if you were in your normal assassin clothes and left clicked which would make Ezio show the blades.

I kind of think that Ubisoft tried to do something similar to what Activison/Treyarh are doing with CoD but obviously it isn't working so well. Assassins creed 1 was for me the best overall game, and Assassins Creed 2 had many issues fixed but kind of started falling apart in others. If they were combined together it could give the perfect Assassins creed but whatever. It's like of like the case of the Prince of Persia games. First one was quite good but the combat was dull, second one had improvements over some things, but broke others. You'd think that the third would combine all the good elements from the two previos games and make it even better, but third was just sucky along with the final one that I don't know what they were thinking when they were making it.

Nobody cares about the opinion of adolescent sociopaths.. you hate everything but COD4 and CSS. In AC1 you couldn't even air kill someone, had 0% replayability and repetitive tasks.

Nobody cares about the opinion of adolescent sociopaths.. you hate everything but COD4 and CSS. In AC1 you couldn't even air kill someone, had 0% replayability and repetitive tasks.

His was TL;DR anyway.

lol ya sorry that I like actual good games and not crappy ones. I guess I don't get to be in your cool kid club...

Did you even read what he said?

I actually read the whole thing, because I'm not one of those lazy people that can't do something they learned in elementary school, and while I can't say he has valid points, he does make some reasonable arguments there. I've never played AC2 or ACB, so I don't know if anything he said is the way it is but he does give sound reasoning for why he feels the way he does about the games by pointing out flaws and strengths.

It's fine if you don't agree with him but at least use some sense when posting a disagreeing comment to someone. Saying that he is a kid who hates everything, and then saying that AC1 sucked and has 0% replayability makes your comment no more trollish than his usual stuff.

On a personal note, I am quite happy to see that ubisoft has toned down the DRM crap with these game, I still intend to boycott it however. :popcorn:

Did you even read what he said?

I actually read the whole thing, because I'm not one of those lazy people that can't do something they learned in elementary school, and while I can't say he has valid points, he does make some reasonable arguments there. I've never played AC2 or ACB, so I don't know if anything he said is the way it is but he does give sound reasoning for why he feels the way he does about the games by pointing out flaws and strengths.

:withstupid: i actually read it too. with difficulty, damn those paragraphs were long! but he does make valid points. i've played AC 1 & 2 and i never actually thought about half those things sack_patrol raised while playing it. but looking back, parts of the game dont make sense. why does any old shop sell assassin gear?

while i agree with most of his points, i think part of the reason ubisoft changed it up in #2 was so that you didn't go "oh so we're an assassin in a secret brotherhood just like in #1 but this time we're in italy. big whoopie, pass". There's a fine line to walk when creating sequels. keeping a sequel too similar to the first game gets calls of "copy, paste" "they're charging us $60 for something thats essentially an expansion". But changing a game too much and the developer gets cries of "you took this out, wah!" and "why'd you make us do this?". all im saying is you cant please everyone

back ontopic. i loved the first 2 games. i see AC brotherhood as more AC 2.5 than the 3rd AC game. i'll probably wait and get it on steam when it goes 50% off.

AC 1 imo was the best, AC2 did a good job bringing more story. AC Brotherhood, was alright I enjoyed it but really did feel that there was a lack of depth that the first two games had.

Is it just me or are sequels keep getting simpler? It seems with each new game they make with any given IP, the easier the games get...