Best video game storyline?

Gr4vitas

I hear you guys on a lot of these games, I've played most of them, and the ones I haven't I've looked up.

It just doesn't seem like anything matches up to the penumbra story, I don't know if its just me or if its just

my recent fascination with the horror / dark scary games / story lines but none of these games just feel like

they fit the bill. I'm still looking around, metro 2033 looked okay but still meh, it just doesn't look any different than any other shooter.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crysis 2 ;) Probably for FPS

To me Uncharted is a copy of Indiana Jones

Uncharted isn't a movie(yet) and there hasn't been a relevant Indiana Jones game. No comparison. If you can play Uncharted 2 do so.

Uncharted isn't a movie(yet) and there hasn't been a relevant Indiana Jones game. No comparison. If you can play Uncharted 2 do so.

not game... never mentioned a game! The story... read before you write!rolleyes.gif

the character and him hunting treasure... Indy anybody?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

Mass Effect series for sure as well as the Witcher. Modern titles in fairness do not do this much or even well anymore, older titles all has some of this, the entrie Kings Quest series for example.

not game... never mentioned a game! The story... read before you write!rolleyes.gif

the character and him hunting treasure... Indy anybody?

The way you implied it was if you've watched Indiana Jones you need not bother with Uncharted. No matter you seem to be argumentative all the time anyway. We'll leave it at that.

#1 is definitely the Half-Life series. It's amazing how invested you get in a character that never speaks. You don't play as Gordon Freeman, you ARE Gordon Freeman. Play them all, including the E1 and E2 and you'll see why so many people want Episode 3.

FEAR - I cannot say whether the whole series has a good storyline since I haven't played them all, but the first one is superb, and you'll get that horror feel that Penumbra gave you.

Assassin's Creed - Again, I haven't played them all, but it's great how the past and modern worlds intertwine. You essentially get two stories for the price of one.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - the main story itself is rather generic, but the outstanding voice acting and easter eggs more than make up for it.

Mass Effect - if you like sci-fi, you're not going to find a better RPG to fill that void.

Dragon Age: Origins - In invested over 100 hours into ONE playthrough. It doesn't have to take that long, but if you take the time to explore the world and speak to characters, you really get drawn into the story.

And lastly, I'm going to go a little old school --- MYST. It's amazing how much is told merely through environments and puzzles. You become so enveloped into a world where you don't have any human interaction for 98% of the experience.

EDIT: I should add that the Starcraft series has a great story behind it, but if you're not an RTS fan, you're better off just reading about it online.

Halo 1

Halflife 1 and 2

Oblivion

Final Fantasy X

Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask

Evolution

Mass Effect 1 and 2

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Metal Gear Solid (all that I've played)

Mirror's Edge

Bioshock

Xenosaga

Dark Cloud 2

Kingdom Hearts

There's probably alot more I'm forgetting

Anyone mention Metro 2033 yet? So far the story is awesome(i know i know, its based on a book) but its got that horror thing you might really like.

Second that SC1 and SC2 have an AMAZING story behind it.

Ahhhh Myst, excellent, I totally forgot about Myst, I played the first couple of games many years ago when I was a youngster.

EXCELLENT story, and surprisingly a little spooky (at least I always thought it was) you kind of dont know whats going on, and

why there is all of this high tech stuff on this 'abandoned' island. Really awesome game.

I'm currently playing through Dead Space 2, all I can say is meh, its good, has its good elements has its bad elements, my biggest gripe is how linear it is.

I know you can only make a game so non-linear (especially an action / fps / rpg) but my goodness, kind of ridiculous you just follow the blue line, your always low on ammo and always low on health. Which makes things challenging sure, but its just not fun to always be worrying about ammo and health. I never feel like I have full health and a good amount of ammo in case I get into a sticky situation I can go guns blazing if I want to or need to. I always feel like I have to conserve everything and I'm always near death because my health is always so low, and I spend so much damn time scavenging ammo and health out of bodies its almost not fun.

Anyway thats my gripe with dead space 2, and the story is kind of, meh. Granted I never played the first so I can't really comment to much on it, but even so I don't feel like I know anything about my character, I should at least get some kind of background even though hits the second in the series. Not everyone has played your game series from the beginning, isn't it always a good idea to at least put a little something in to put the background into perspective?

Edited by Gr4vitas