Need some help from the UK OCC members on 6970 prices across the pond

Speedway

Ok, so I am selling 2 MSI HD 6970's on ebay, with international shipping. I have a guy over in Avon, UK who is telling me that "over here in richard and sounds these cards hit around £220" which is roughly $312 US. Now I am having a hard time believing that the card is cheaper over in the UK than it is here in the US. I think the guy is trying to lowball me, but, hey, if I am wrong then so be it! Can some of our OCC members from the UK help me out with what this card costs over there :)

Thanks in advance!

that specific card is £270-330.... other HD6970 2GB cards are around the same price...

I've never heard of Richard & Sounds... there is a home cinema shop called Richer Sounds, but afaik they don't sell graphics cards (they may have started selling them for HTPCs since I last looked?)

It's possible that the card could be as low as £220 with some sort of sale, promotion, or discount... and sometimes stuff is cheaper in the UK than the US, but that's usually due to the geographical location of the manufacturer (e.g. Thermochill radiators are made in the UK)

Yea, when I googled Richard and Sounds, Richer Sounds is what came up! Went to their website, and like you said, didn't see any graphics cards, or even a computer section! £270-330 seems about right, I just think this guy is trying to lowball me!

Thanks for the quick reply :thumbsup:

Well, with the additional cost of shipping, import duty, VAT (tax), and additional handling charges, I don't blame him for haggling (or bidding?).

Buying anything from the US (into the UK) can end up with a hefty bunch of charges... I think I recently paid ~76% on top of the sale and shipping on an eBay US purchase for some mobile phone screen protectors... they weren't cheap to begin with lol

I think I paid £80 import duty on some headphones once... or maybe it was $80... either way, that was also in addition to item+shipping...

Possibly it might be better to check out the Completed Listings for HD6970s on eBay, and see what second-hand cards are selling for...

Yea, I would never blame anyone for haggling, I'm extremely guilty of it! But these cards are basically brand new, and I am offering to sell them for £243 each, which I feel is a good deal! I learned a nice trick from an international buyer that I sold an i7 930 + MSI X58 mobo to awhile back that can help avoid all of those duty/VAT/misc charges ;)

I learned a nice trick from an international buyer that I sold an i7 930 + MSI X58 mobo to awhile back that can help avoid all of those duty/VAT/misc charges ;)

You can't leave it like that! How's it done?

You can't leave it like that! How's it done?

:biggrin: Ok, so he told me that when I when I shipped his parts to mark on the shipping manifest that it was damaged goods and that it was a return. Also to take a marker and write "REPAIR" on the box in a few places. So from my understanding, customs would view the package as a return, that had already been charged with duty/VAT/import taxes or charges, and becasue it was coming back, that package would not have to incur double charges. He said it worked perfectly when I sent him the package, and he did not have to pay anything extra. I have shipped quite a few more packages to International buyers on ebay, and have used this method each and everytime, and I have yet to have a buyer contact me complaining about getting charged anything extra. I have however gotten an email saying TY for doing that and helping them avoid additional costs!

I have also used this method when receiving packages from overseas, and have never had to pay anything extra ;)