Purchased MP3s

NikolaT

Is music purchased online of the highest quality available? (for an MP3 file that is)

I have a few songs with artifacts (annoying!) that I'd love to replace with clean files, but I don't want to purchase a song online only to have the same issue.

I think that depends. I bought an MP3 album off of Amazon recently and all the songs are at 226kbps. It's higher than most, but it could be hit or miss. I only have that one album, my brother is the one who buys almost exclusively MP3s so I could send him a text and see what he's gotten more of.

I have alot that 192kbps, some even VBR which I hear is even better.

It seems to vary from song to song

Yeah, I forgot to add that the album I got is 226kbps VBR. Like IVI said, it does vary so it'll just depend on the song/album.

I am ashamed to say that I can not distinguish between a 320kbps mp3 and a FLAC. :cry:

It's often not a matter of you can't notice it, but rather your audio equipment is limiting you from noticing it. If you had some really good headphones with a decent amp you would certainly notice a difference.

Original source for the digital conversion affects the finished product a lot too. As does sampling rates, conversion process, quality of the equipment etc. I buy a lot of MP3's from Amazon and I can say that quality ranges from bearable to very good. Nothing that would compare to an originally pressed CD, or even better yet vinyl or reel to reel. But listenable non-the-less.

Itunes SUCKS!!!!! Not necessarily the music quality but the DRM, i have lost access to about 50 tunes because i switched 1 too many machines and cant de-authorize the old machines. When i buy a track or CD i want to have the right to put it on as many computers as i like for the rest of my life.