New Build - Welcome your Opinions

Im building my first machine and after researching for a number of months now ive setteled on the following hardware - Have i selected correctly? Mhz of Ram and Voltage etc. i find slightly confusing especialy with an AMD mobo. is 625W PS enough, would like to experiment with over clocking the processor and Graphic card. suggestions/corrections welcome!

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 - AM3 Socket - 890GX - ATX...

Corsair XMS3 PC Memory - 4 x 2 GB DDR3 1333 - PC3 -...

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY FirePSU 625-watt PC Power Supply

Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray Player/DVD Rewriter Combo...

Cooler Master HYPER 212 Plus

ASUS Radeon 6950 2GB

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Black Edition 125W

WD Caviar BLack 1TB Sata - 600 7200/64MB

LG W2361V-PF 23" X3 (eyefinity)

1 Active mini port adaptor

Cooler Master HAF 922

Edited by Twinings

Im building my first machine and after researching for a number of months now ive setteled on the following hardware - Have i selected correctly? Mhz of Ram and Voltage etc. i find slightly confusing especialy with an AMD mobo. is 625W PS enough, would like to experiment with over clocking the processor and Graphic card. suggestions/corrections welcome!

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 - AM3 Socket - 890GX - ATX...

Corsair XMS3 PC Memory - 4 x 2 GB DDR3 1333 - PC3 -...

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY FirePSU 625-watt PC Power Supply

Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray Player/DVD Rewriter Combo...

Cooler Master HYPER 212 Plus

ASUS Radeon 6950 2GB

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Black Edition 125W

WD Caviar BLack 1TB Sata - 600 7200/64MB

LG W2361V-PF 23" X3 (eyefinity)

1 Active mini port adaptor

Cooler Master HAF 922

your build looks pretty good. would look at a corsair power supply they seem to be the best right now as most people say hx650 as it will be plenty for your build even with overclocking.

should look into getting an ssd for your os.

but they are the only to things i have to say about it.

should be a nice build

Seems good!

i would go for 2x4GB rams though, and i don't know about the PSU, it is probably good, but it wont be sufficient for more graphiccards.

If you plan on overclocking a 1055T costs about the same, but has 6 cores instead of 4, but gaming wise not so much difference.

Welcome to OCC mate! :thumbsup:

Even with 2x HD6950s in crossfire, a Phenom II x6 1055T and a CPU overclock, a decent 550w PSU with at least a total of 40A on the +12 volt rail(s) would be able to run your system fine. So getting a 650w would be acceptable for your build.

I agree with james91 corsair make good PSUs - if you want a good selection of PSUs which have been shown to be of good quality then take a look at OCC's Recommended Power Supply List.

Seems good!

i would go for 2x4GB rams

:withstupid: Getting 2x4 gb for RAM is the way to go - reduces the chance of you having to deal with bad RAM sticks and also allows you to have free room for any RAM upgrade you may want in the future.

Also have you considered getting an SSD as an OS/application storage device? This will make your computer work so much faster that is it worth looking into (even with such high prices it is still worth it IMO).

I am liking the look of your build already. :evilgrin:

Appreciate all the advice guys - Alexandre and Medbor im gonna go with the 2X4 GB makes sense now that you say it! im still a little confused at what im buying - I can buy 2X4 GB of Corsair value DDR3 Dimm for €90 - Heres the link of where im looking/Buying Komplett RAM DDR3

Can you guys briefly explain the differences (or point me somewhere i could educate myself) not understanding the price differences with all the DDR3 (is it the difference in Mghz?) Maybe a real rookie question!! :blush:

thanks for the SSD advice, i had read numerous articles (good and bad) around issues with them and some saying theye didnt see a real noticible difference which put me off - but after your suggestions i might reconsider - any specific brand ? dont want any more than say 60GB to stick OS and maybe photoshop and reason on it.

James91 - Im gonna take your advice and move to a Corsair PSU.

thanks for the effort guys - it really helps me out.

PS. this is taken from the MOBO tech spec.

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel memory architecture

*AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066MHz

Can i buy any DDR3 Ram ?

Edited by Twinings

Here is an excellent article explaining all about DDR memory.

I would get no less than 60gb for an SSD as room runs out pretty fast when you start putting stuff on it.

You can install DDR3 memory which runs up to your motherboard's limit (DRAM Frequency = 2000MHz). I am still unsure as to why the CPUs say they only support low frequency RAM when they can in fact support higher frequencies.... :dunno:

I would probably look at getting 1600Mhz RAM with at least 9-9-9-24 timings for your build.

Here is an excellent article explaining all about DDR memory.

I would get no less than 60gb for an SSD as room runs out pretty fast when you start putting stuff on it.

I would probably look at getting 1600Mhz RAM with at least 9-9-9-24 timings for your build.

:withstupid:

get 1600mhz ram. These look good.

Cheers

thanks for the SSD advice, i had read numerous articles (good and bad) around issues with them and some saying theye didnt see a real noticible difference which put me off - but after your suggestions i might reconsider - any specific brand ? dont want any more than say 60GB to stick OS and maybe photoshop and reason on it.

Man, whoever said they didn't see a "real" noticeable difference with an SSD vs a HDD must have been drinking heavily ;) Bottom Line - SSD's are freaking awesome! I have used Intel X18-M and X25-M drives, which are basically the same except for the size, and they are great! But you have SATA 6GB's so you might to look at the SATA III SSD's! Curcial, Corsair, and the new Intel 510 is supposed to be just sick. But, it comes with a sick price tag as well ;)

Thanks for the RAM article Alexandre - very well explained indeed!

eisbar - Cheers for the RAM recommendation - im going with that.

SpeedwayNative - I was hoping that was the case - Sata III are still expensive! Cant wait for prices to come down - wont be long before they begin to increase in size too :)

Cheers for all the comments :thumbsup:

A lot of people have mentioned SSDs as a change for you to make with your build and I would agree. The SSD has been the single most noticeable upgrade for many people as it makes the computer actually feel faster. For a loooong time mechanical drives were limited in how fast they could spin to read data, but SSDs rely on electicity which moves much much faster. Just something to consider as I have seen some good deals on them lately. A good 120GB SSD is more than enough for OS and most applications...at least, it's enough for me on my work laptop lol