just made a RAID0 of two 1TB drives/new OS

Crawlerz246

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RAID 10 does, much better than a single drive or drives in RAID 0 or RAID 1. Still not better than a good SSD, though.

That's only because there are more disks though. 4 disks in 0, 1, or 10 will all perform roughly the same with the exception of write speeds - 0 will be fastest, 10 will be in the middle (or tied with 0 depending on the controller), and 1 will be the slowest.

That's only because there are more disks though. 4 disks in 0, 1, or 10 will all perform roughly the same with the exception of write speeds - 0 will be fastest, 10 will be in the middle (or tied with 0 depending on the controller), and 1 will be the slowest.

For multi-tasking, they won't. The reason is because 4 drives in RAID 0 doesn't have mirroring, which helps in disk accessing, and 4 drives in RAID 1 doesn't have striping, which increases throughput. RAID 10 employs both and has advantages of both rather than just one or the other.

okay I wanted what's best and "came out as usual"...... :rofl::mfp:

I am seriously dissapointed and really blindsided, cuz I never RAIDed anything before and didn't think if this. since I like to FRAPS or listen to music while shooting stuff, I'm gonna ditch RAID.

to that end..... I cannot afford a SSD I'm probably going to do this. this is me thinking out quiet so bear with me --------gonna keep ONE of the samsung f3's and the WD640GB. no RAID obviously. gonna put OS and only OS on the 640. apps/games/music onto the 1TB. another thing I'm gonna use the 640 for is FRAPSing since using the same drive as the game is on for FRAPS output is ........ crap.

that sound good?

For multi-tasking, they won't. The reason is because 4 drives in RAID 0 doesn't have mirroring, which helps in disk accessing, and 4 drives in RAID 1 doesn't have striping, which increases throughput. RAID 10 employs both and has advantages of both rather than just one or the other.

I don't think you may be a bit confused. :ouch:

RAID 1 is mirroring - it tends to increase read speeds without affecting write speeds much. 4x read speed, 1x write speed with 4 drives

RAID 0 is striping - it tends to increase read and write speeds. 4x read and 4x write speed with 4 drives

RAID 10 is striping + mirroring - its only advantage is that it has some redundancy but has the read speeds of 4 drives with the write speeds of 2. 4x read speed, 2x write speed with 4 drives

I'm not sure what spec you're relating to "disk accessing" but I assume you're talking about access latency. Access latency for all of them is roughly the same with an equal number of drives.

I am seriously dissapointed and really blindsided, cuz I never RAIDed anything before and didn't think if this. since I like to FRAPS or listen to music while shooting stuff, I'm gonna ditch RAID.

to that end..... I cannot afford a SSD I'm probably going to do this. this is me thinking out quiet so bear with me --------gonna keep ONE of the samsung f3's and the WD640GB. no RAID obviously. gonna put OS and only OS on the 640. apps/games/music onto the 1TB. another thing I'm gonna use the 640 for is FRAPSing since using the same drive as the game is on for FRAPS output is ........ crap.

that sound good?

Why not keep the WD640GB, short stroke it and and put the OS on that, and use the two Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's in RAID 1?

that sound good?

The loss in performance you're seeing is only because you went from two completely independent disks to two disks being utilized in tandem.

You could keep your current array, enable the write-back cache, and use one spare drive for FRAPs recording (and backups, you can point Windows 7 to backup your RAID array onto the extra drive) and be pretty well off. Streaming writes at high bitrates will bring pretty much any array to its knees (especially if everything else is running on it as well).

Edited by Waco

I don't think you may be a bit confused. :ouch:

RAID 1 is mirroring - it tends to increase read speeds without affecting write speeds much. 4x read speed, 1x write speed with 4 drives

RAID 0 is striping - it tends to increase read and write speeds. 4x read and 4x write speed with 4 drives

RAID 10 is striping + mirroring - its only advantage is that it has some redundancy but has the read speeds of 4 drives with the write speeds of 2. 4x read speed, 2x write speed with 4 drives

I'm not sure what spec you're relating to "disk accessing" but I assume you're talking about access latency. Access latency for all of them is roughly the same with an equal number of drives.

No, your'e confused. I said RAID 0 doesn't have mirroring, and it doesn't. RAID 1 doesn't have striping, and it doesn't.

If I'm confused, then I'm getting overpaid in my job profession.

Disk accessing should not be interpreted as access speed or access latency.

No, your'e confused. I said RAID 0 doesn't have mirroring, and it doesn't. RAID 1 doesn't have striping, and it doesn't.

If I'm confused, then I'm getting overpaid in my job profession.

:pfp:

Your definitions are fine. Your conclusions on performance are not. Mirroring only improves read performance and rarely affects latency. Striping improves read and write performance and rarely affects latency.

I don't see how I'm confused...and I don't see where you're drawing your conclusions from.

EDIT: Saw your edit. Would you mind defining what you mean by "disk accesses" then?

Edited by Waco

:pfp:

Your definitions are fine. Your conclusions on performance are not. Mirroring only improves read performance and rarely affects latency. Striping improves read and write performance and rarely affects latency.

I don't see how I'm confused...and I don't see where you're drawing your conclusions from.

EDIT: Saw your edit. Would you mind defining what you mean by "disk accesses" then?

Disk accessing is just how data is being accessed in the drives. I'm not going to explain hours of details in which you'll just fight with me until the end of time. If you want to learn, :google:

Otherwise, I concede. You win.

Disk accessing is just how data is being accessed in the drives. I'm not going to explain hours of details in which you'll just fight with me until the end of time. If you want to learn, :google:

Otherwise, I concede. You win.

I'm not trying to fight with you - I'm simply trying to understand what you're saying. I can't find anything that backs up what you're saying either. See here for example: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/resources/Demartek_IBM_LSI_RAID_Controller_Performance_Evaluation_2009-10.pdf

Why not keep the WD640GB, short stroke it and and put the OS on that, and use the two Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's in RAID 1?

for my situation using a whole 1TB disk fjust isnt smart. if I was doing imporatant stuff then yh, but this?

besides I only back up the docs/pics/mp3s on a portable