just made a RAID0 of two 1TB drives/new OS

Crawlerz246

a very big thank you to the guy that recommended I should buy the samsung pinpoint f3's vs the WD 1TB caviar black. saved me some money in the process. but more on that later...

so I made a RAID0 out of the two new 1TB drives (I didn't make any partitions, I just used the whole thing) at 128k stripe size.

loaded into windows (needed no RAID drivers) just fine. seems to be working. updated (ran 78 updates LOL) and rebooted.

ran HD tune. gave me a max of 244.2mb/s, min 108.6mb/s, avg 192.1 mb/s, burst rate of 192.4mb/s and access time 15ms. seems as though the numbers could be better.

if I partition the first 100GB for OS, will that give me better numbers on that partition?

*edit* I just ran HD tune again choosing to "short stroke" 100GB. got an avg of 219.5mb/s, 8ms access time.

so whats the moral here?

*edit* *edit* everything is still working as planned (altho my brittish mate told me ominously that his two samsung drives died within 6 months and that (not in so many words) I'm an idiot for buying them....) but I must say I am noticing that multitasking on the RAID sucks. say I am installing a game and/or strying to listen to music. I try opening up a folder in my computer or IE8 or whatever. the point is several parallel apps. and one usually hangs. not forever but noticably - maybe 10sec maybe more. so...... the question is "did I just shoot myself in the foot with the RAID setup?" should I not have done that? please guys help-eth.

thnx!

p.s. I will be selling my used drives in my FS thread. they are used but work 100%. I will provide pics later, when I sort these things out.

Edited by Crawlerz246

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a very big thank you to the guy that recommended I should buy the samsung pinpoint f3's vs the WD 1TB caviar black. saved me some money in the process. but more on that later...

Your welcome! :P

ran HD tune. gave me a max of 244.2mb/s, min 108.6mb/s, avg 192.1 mb/s, burst rate of 192.4mb/s and access time 15ms. seems as though the numbers could be better.

if I partition the first 100GB for OS, will that give me better numbers on that partition?

p.s. I will be selling my used drives in my FS thread. they are used but work 100%. I will provide pics later, when I sort these things out.

I wouldn't partition much in RAID 0, who knows what can of worms that might open up. Access times won't get any faster with HDD's in RAID (maybe just slightly), but those numbers seem about right. Use this as a comparison: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=179185&view=findpost&p=1855330

The only way to get faster is to add two more drives in a four disk RAID 0, but that's crazy. :)

hmm, I dont know man

if one drive fails we are talking about losing 2TB worth of data

I'm glad your rig is working though

if you plan to keep it like this, do NOT partition

kk I won't partition - that much seems to be unanimous.

losing 2TB? first of all I really don't hve that much yet. and secondly is mostly games/movies and the important stuff that I never want to lose gets backed up on a portable 1TB.

we'll cross that bridge when we get there....

You're using the Intel RAID controller right?

Set it up as the best of both worlds with Intel Matrix RAID! Use 100-200 GB on each drive for a RAID 0 array and make the rest of each drive a RAID 1 array. That way, even though losing 1 drive will lose your OS partition, at least your data would be intact. :)

That'll happen with pretty much any mechanical HDD. :shrug: If you want to improve performance further make sure you install the Intel RAID management utility and enable the write-back cache. It can cause issues if you crash or lose power but it helps speed up writes considerably.

Did you put any thought into using the Matrix RAID modes?

If you want to improve performance further make sure you install the Intel RAID management utility and enable the write-back cache. It can cause issues if you crash or lose power but it helps speed up writes considerably.

plz elaborate.

Multi-tasking on HDD's aren't going to get much better in a RAID array.

SSD's will be a much better option if you wanted to multi-task, or if you also had one RAID array as your OS, and another RAID array as your storage.

For example, on my system, my OS is installed on my SSD, as well as iTunes. I can listen to iTunes with my music that is stored on my HDD RAID 10 array, while also installing a game on my HDD RAID 10 array while also transferring files - and I won't have any issues at all. When you use the HDD RAID array as an OS drive, you'll be getting smaller read/writes.

plz elaborate.

The Intel RAID drivers and their management utility allow you to enable a write-back cache for any RAID arrays set up through the Intel ICH. You can lose recently written data upon power loss or a crash - that's the extent of the danger. It can massively speed up writing to the array in certain circumstances with it enabled.

Multi-tasking on HDD's aren't going to get much better in a RAID array.

it may have gotten worse vs what I had before (music 'n such on non-OS drive).

interestingly enough, other apps installed fine. bbc2 is spinning like crazy and process isn't moving.

I don't have the money for an SSD at least right now. would love an SSD for OS tho.

so what should I do? take the RAID off? it's not helping matters? just use two 1TBs?