Upgrading Gaming Computer... AGAIN xD

Brutality

Looking good my friend! :thumbsup:

The only difference between SATA I and SATA II cables (Haven't heard of SATA III cables yet) is that the SATA II cable comes with a clip at the end to hold the cable in.

There is no data limitation due to the type of cable you use so you got nothing to worry about in that regard.

TX750w will be fine :)

The differences between PRO and the standard ASUS P8P67 board is minimal but the PRO does have a better PCIe setup, uses an additional JMicron SATA controller for two external eSATA ports, includes a Q-Shield, has more warning LEDs and has SLI support.

Yes you heard me right the normal P8P67 board does not support SLI but considering you got a ATI/AMD graphics card I don't think that will be much of a problem for you.

Those are probably the only differences which are worth mentioning ....

Edited by Alexandre

Looking good my friend! :thumbsup:

The only difference between SATA I and SATA II cables (Haven't heard of SATA III cables yet) is that the SATA II cable comes with a clip at the end to hold the cable in.

There is no data limitation due to the type of cable you use so you got nothing to worry about in that regard.

TX750w will be fine :)

The differences between PRO and the standard ASUS P8P67 board is minimal but the PRO does have a better PCIe setup, uses an additional JMicron SATA controller for two external eSATA ports, includes a Q-Shield, has more warning LEDs and has SLI support.

Yes you heard me right the normal P8P67 board does not support SLI but considering you got a ATI/AMD graphics card I don't think that will be much of a problem for you.

Those are probably the only differences which are worth mentioning ....

Actually they do have Sata III cables, and they will be required to reach full Sata III speeds. If thats something you actually going for, you would never need a real SATA III cable unless on a very fast SATA III SSD.

Build looks great man, Personally id spend the few extra bucks on the nicer mobo, if there is one part you dont wanna skimp on it would be the MoBo.

Actually they do have Sata III cables, and they will be required to reach full Sata III speeds. If thats something you actually going for, you would never need a real SATA III cable unless on a very fast SATA III SSD.

Build looks great man, Personally id spend the few extra bucks on the nicer mobo, if there is one part you dont wanna skimp on it would be the MoBo.

Of course mate, but I was just unsure hehe

Okay guys I'mma order it then, thanks alot for your help!!

Thanks for pointing out that there are SATA III cables mate.

But I would like to see what you will have to say to this:

9: Does SATA 6Gb/s require different connectors and cables to support the higher

transfer speed?

A9: The same cables and connectors used for current SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0 Gb/s

implementations can be used to connect SATA 6Gb/s devices, although SATA-IO recommends

quality components be selected to ensure data integrity and robust operation at the faster SATA

6Gb/s transfer rate. Keeping the existing SATA connector form factor enables SATA 6Gb/s to

be designed into the same cost-conscious hardware architectures while minimizing

infrastructure changes.

Source: http://www.sata-io.org/documents/SATA-Revision-3.0-FAQ-FINAL.pdf

They are all electrically the same. I think SATA III name is just a marketing move.

Edited by Alexandre

I used SATA II cables when I got my first Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA III SSD (I was so excited, I didn't even think that there was a SATA III connector needed). Connected it to the Marvell Controller SATA III port and funky things kept happening - funky reboots out of nowhere. I realized I was using a SATA II cable instead of a SATA III, and when I switched to use the SATA III cable, all my problems went away. It's NOT just a marketing move.

Of course mate, but I was just unsure hehe

Okay guys I'mma order it then, thanks alot for your help!!

Congratz man! Hope all your upgrades go well, ought to be a great system!

I used SATA II cables when I got my first Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA III SSD (I was so excited, I didn't even think that there was a SATA III connector needed). Connected it to the Marvell Controller SATA III port and funky things kept happening - funky reboots out of nowhere. I realized I was using a SATA II cable instead of a SATA III, and when I switched to use the SATA III cable, all my problems went away. It's NOT just a marketing move.

Thisstupid.gif

Its not just a marketing move. If a device is truly capable of SATA III speeds and is hooked up to a Sata III port with a SATA II cable it can and will(maybe) cause issues. Sorry i dont have any evidence of this like a web link or anything, its just personal experience.

Fair enough guys guess I was wrong. You learn something new everyday! :cheers:

However, give the fact that the people who did the SATA III revision saying specifically that you can use SATA II/I cables with no harm, I think that you guys could have been experiencing those problems due to what the SATA III revision guys call "lower quality" cables.

The SATA III cables sold today are probably made from higher quality materials allowing your drives to perform better at the higher speeds but they are still electrically the same as SATA II and SATA I cables.

SATA 6Gb/s Cabling

In the transition to SATA 6Gb/s, it will be important to use high-quality cabling. Problems may be related to the use of cables made from marginal materials that perform at the edges of SATA 3Gb/s tolerances, which could become a failure point at the faster 6Gb/s signal rates. SATA-IO therefore recommends that only high qualitycables and connectors be utilized for SATA 6Gb/s. Cable manufacturers and all suppliers of SATA products are encouraged to register their products on the SATA-IO Integrators list. This list is available to the public as a resource for determining reliable products that meet the SATA interface specification.

EDIT: Source on quote.

Edited by Alexandre

No, I used the same SATA III cable that first came out...

Yeah I mean that when they started making SATA III cables they probably used higher quality materials in the cables - not just talking about the cables made today.