Time for a new AV

Onion

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an interesting thread. Guess I'll go with MSE then. What would be a good alternative to that? Price doesn't matter, I just need it to catch as much as possible, it's going to be used on a work computer. Yes, I'm looking for 2 antiviruses for those of you who easily get mixed up. (Yes Waco, I'm looking at you :lol:)

Yes, I'm looking for 2 antiviruses for those of you who easily get mixed up. (Yes Waco, I'm looking at you :lol:)

l33t - I wouldn't recommend running two different a/v's on the same machine............ if that is your intention.

For a good run down and comparative analysis of all commercially available a/v solutions go to;

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Regularly updated every year and usually every two quarters in the year or more often.

I HIGHLY recommend running only one AV program. I would assume its the same reasoning as Wev. Anti-virus programs(especially the more intrusive ones) can actually interfere with each other make one or both of the AV programs either partially ineffective, or worse yet, completely ineffective. Ive seen this a number of times before with combinations such as Norton/AVG, Mcafee/Kaspersky, and Nod32/AVG. Its completely unnecessary to have more than one AV program and its possibly less effective. I say possibly as i have seen AV programs seemingly coexist but after seeing how other Antivirus programs can literally detect and shutdown other anti-virus scan's and active protection i would NEVER trust having more than one AV program.

well even if you dont run full suites together you can run other spyware malware anti bot software along side mse.

Well then you wouldn't be running two antivirus suites together would you? :P

I third (fourth?) the notion that running multiple AVs can and will cause headaches.

Yep, I'm speaking specifically about multiple a/v products running on the same machine. Not about an a/v and spyware/bot/malware coexisting on the same machine.

Here is my setup on all personal machines;

MSE for 24/7 always on protection

Malwarebytes for on demand spyware detection (once every week or if I've been behaving badly)

Eset online scanner on demand just to double check things every once in a while

My recommendation not to run two or more a/v's are based on just a few simple principals;

1. A/V software/applications take up a good bit of resources to begin with - start using more than one and you are double or tripling the amount of resources required

2. As explained by MD - coexisting/conflicting a/v applications running full time on a single machine can actually interfere or conflict with one another - degrading any possible benefit from running more that one

3. Because most of the A/V creators tell us it's a bad practice - accordingly I trust them as the experts

No no no, it's for different machines, I know better than to do that. :lol: I'm looking for one small lightweight program, like MSE, for use on one computer, and a full powerful suite for a business machine.