Time for a new AV

Onion

It's time for a new antivirus. I used avast 4.8 pro for ages, but it's starting to become a bit outdated, so I'm looking for something else. I mainly need something that is updated often, and is usually the first to pick up new viruses. I also need real time scanning, and website blocking. Avast 5 was ok, but would completely block my internet connection for some reason. Still haven't found out why.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft Security Essentials is by far the best AV ever made, and its FREE!

You do require a genuine copy of windows but other than that your good to go. Its the most effective and least intrusive AV ive ever used. You can even set CPU limitations on it so that it only uses xx% of your CPU during scans so that it doesnt bother you even when gaming.

The reason of for the product is microsoft got sick of everyone saying they had a unsafe OS. So Microsoft said "F That" and made a really good AV program to make people shut up.

I've transitioned all of my personal pc's over to MSE. It's unobtrusive, fairly effective and is pretty much the greatest set it and forget all in one a/v i've ever used. The fact that it's free is a bonus.

It might not be the best for folks with overly risky web browsing or file sharing habits, or for those without a NAT router between their machines and the internet, but in all other cases I've found it admirable. And trust me I've used

every a/v on the planet both paid and free at some point in time.

In the beginning Trendmicro was a great alternative to Norton or McAfee, then TM got bloated and unreliable so I switched to NOD32 for a couple years. Heard great things about Kaspersky so I switched again. I've also given spins to G-Data (very good by the way) and CA - oh man what a

bloated hog that was.................

Of course AVG, Avira and Avast freebies.

All of that pain is behind me now. MSE + Windows Firewall and a NAT router = no pain no fuss :)

Microsoft Security Essentials is by far the best AV ever made, and its FREE!

You do require a genuine copy of windows but other than that your good to go. Its the most effective and least intrusive AV ive ever used. You can even set CPU limitations on it so that it only uses xx% of your CPU during scans so that it doesnt bother you even when gaming.

The reason of for the product is microsoft got sick of everyone saying they had a unsafe OS. So Microsoft said "F That" and made a really good AV program to make people shut up.

How do you set that CPU limitation thing? I've been trying to firgure that out for a while now.

And where would I find the control panel?

Um...open the application? Either right click the icon on the taskbar and choose Open or double click on it. The settings tab is on the far right.

Um...open the application? Either right click the icon on the taskbar and choose Open or double click on it. The settings tab is on the far right.

*facepalm* Yeah, I'm a moron this late at night (11:27). Please forgive any stupidity on my behalf. I found it just before checking this post again.

*facepalm* Yeah, I'm a moron this late at night (11:27). Please forgive any stupidity on my behalf. I found it just before checking this post again.

It happens. I have massive brain-farts all the time and my GF swears I've gone full retard. :biggrin: