Internet Caps

Data Limits on Internet services.  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should ISPs be allowed to implement data caps?

• Of course.
    • Heck no!!!!!!
    • Within resonable standards (please post more info).
    • What is a data cap?
    • What is internet?

Get this, If you go over your plan they charge $10.00 a GB :whoa:

2 times now I've lost track and got hit with a crazy bill,,, one was over $200 and one was $150.

That's the big issue to me, for people that do go over the bandwidth cap and don't know it, the bill would be insane. I understand that some people in this thread believe the companies have the right to do what they want with their services, but I also think some underestimate how much bandwidth they use each month as well as how high a bull can get if you go over your limit, $200 on an internet bill is simply outrageous.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people here actually use AT&T? I suggest if possible to get everyone you know who uses AT&T to write a letter of complaint not just an email they can ignore and, i realize not everyone could do this, boycott them. We dont want other ISPs seeing this and thinking it is a good idea.

That's the big issue to me, for people that do go over the bandwidth cap and don't know it, the bill would be insane.

$10 for every 50 GB IIRC with the new AT&T plan. They also give you bandwidth monitoring utilities that warn you when you get close to your usage cap.

Edited by Waco

While it'd still be pretty hard to hit 250 GB I can see where that'd be a problem in a big house.

What I don't get is how someone could use a lot of bandwidth watching netflix streaming movies when the majority of the movies in the streaming selection suck.

Edited by fire_storm

the internet company where I live has a complete monopoly. We have always had a terrible cap. A few years ago it was 10gb a month. Now you can pay more for 20-75gb a month and there are no options for anything more than 75.

Get this, If you go over your plan they charge $10.00 a GB :whoa:

2 times now I've lost track and got hit with a crazy bill,,, one was over $200 and one was $150.

I have contacted another internet company that services the next closest city but they have no plans to come here as of yet. ( I assume its not financially viable for them, but it may be due to the government controlled monopoly northwestel has because they made the investment many decades ago to put lines up here)

$10 for every 50 GB IIRC with the new AT&T plan. They also give you bandwidth monitoring utilities that warn you when you get close to your usage cap.

That's fine for AT&T customers that aren't affected by it but this isn't just something that AT&T does. The problem is companies that have a monopoly over an area, for example, the one that feetfats refers to. All AT&T needs is to be the only ISP in a certain town and they can pull the same kind of crap that runs people $200 bills.

All AT&T needs is to be the only ISP in a certain town and they can pull the same kind of crap that runs people $200 bills.

That's the problem with monopolies in any area - and exactly why ISPs suck. :)

What I don't get is how someone could use a lot of bandwidth watching netflix streaming movies when the majority of the movies in the streaming selection suck.

Personally I think the selection is pretty damn good - especially for $8 a month.

I dunno, with my game usage I don't really think 250GB is a whole lot.

I mean, TF2 is like 25GB alone. If I reformatted once a month and re-downloaded all of my games (which I don't plan on doing, but say I just did this once.) I'd end up getting cut down to maybe 100GB left, if I'm lucky. Shoot, if I downloaded ALL of my games I'm sure I'd end up using my entire months bandwidth right there.

Have you considered that you're too picky? :lol:

I personally have no trouble enjoying movies of any kind usually, in fact I just maxed my Instant Queue last night. I was actually surprised to find out there was even a limit on that, but to be fair, I think most would be surprised that I found more than 500 movies that I wanted to put in it. :lol:

I do use AT&T, and if my job was more involved the my own Internet usage, it would be outrageous. With me only being home for a couple hours a day during the week and home for all the weekends however, it is not really a problem. Though like others have said, if I choose Netflix (which I have, streaming) and Pandora (which me and my wife use quite often) along with Steam (Which is how I get ALL my games), I'm pretty sure I might come near the limit. I can obviously keep myself from hitting it, but nonetheless, 150GB for my 3.0 service is not a whole lot.

Bandwidth cap is just a fancy term for money upcharge. Just another way they can nickel and dime you and get away with it. Best thing you can do (hopefully) is switch to anyther ISP in the area. If there isn't another ISP in area I guess your out of luck if you get capped. Hopefully there arent too many monoplys out there with internet service. For highspeed access in my area I am basically limited to comcast but I really can't compalin about the service it is fast and I'm alotted more than enough bandwidth per month. Never gone over ususage limit as far as I know either. I've known comcast to limit traffic in the past hopefully they remain as they are now.