Internet Caps

Data Limits on Internet services.  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should ISPs be allowed to implement data caps?

• Of course.
    • Heck no!!!!!!
    • Within resonable standards (please post more info).
    • What is a data cap?
    • What is internet?

So i don't know if anyone has read this yet. But in general AT&T is implementing data caps on their internet. i thought for sure this is an internet rumor. But alas, i call to AT&T and from the horses mouth this will be going into effect. This is absolutely absurd! i thought it was bad enough having data limits on my phone service... now it is going to be on the slow, price-gouged cable services... unbelievable. Comment/rant/agree/cry below.

EDIT: English i cant type it

Edited by Griever2003

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should ISPs be allowed to implement caps: Yes, of course.

Would I personally use an ISP that implemented caps: No

With some stipulations:

Now, I would have a problem if ISPs with effective monopolies (which I understand happens in some places in the US?) implemented caps without offering packages without caps.

Caps should also be reasonable given the bandwidth provided (e.g. not so small that you could exceed them in a few hours of full bandwidth usage).

Basically I think you should be given a choice.

Paying a bit more for an uncapped service seems entirely reasonable to me.

Regulation is required considering the importance of connectivity in general.

Edited by jammin

It should either be 1 of 2 things.

Either have a cap and provide everyone with your top tier speed so you are essentially purchasing the amount of data you are allowed to access,

or provided teared speed services with no limit to data so you are purchasing the efficiency of access to the data that is available for you.

Not Both

like this has got to stop, they cant charge for bandwidth and data usage, thats completely asinine. If I pay extra for more bandwidth, I will just hit the cap faster. mad.gif

that is exactly that i said to myself. if i stream my netflix, listen to my online radio , download a few "things", play internet games, etc. like i do, at a faster speed, i would probably hit the cap in like 15 days. so they are saying that i can only use the internet for the first HALF of the month and the i pay out the pooper for it >.< total BS

I think usage caps are huge steaming piles of something unpleasant.

Want to charge me more for internet? Give me faster internet for my money.

Don't charge me more for usage, charge me more for speed.

I can see the point of having caps on some types of internet connections like wireless but on wired connections shouldn't have such restrictions.

It kind of seems like a gray area on one hand caps with reasonable priced internet plans could make sense and save people a lot of money who don't use the internet that much but on the other hand I don't think it's a good idea to be encouraging ISP's to turn the internet into a metered service like a phone or electric company.

Edited by fire_storm

IIRC the caps they are introducing are 250 GB per month. As long as they don't bring that down 99% of people won't ever have a problem with it. That's 153.x hours of streaming HD content from Netflix continually (and a conservative estimate at that).