How do you listen to music

Spiritinthesky

Car

7 speaker Klipsch unit

Home

Logitech X-540 speakers for the HTPC (soon to be upgraded)

MP3s, CDs, and Vinyls

PC

Logitech G35 7.1 headset

iTouch

Klipsch S2 earbuds

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

PC

Sennheiser 280 Pro

Travel

Dell DJ, remember kids, always say no to iPod and Zune! :D

MP3 files mostly, plus a lot of pandora, quality doesn't really matter to me because I can't tell much of a difference between 320kbps and 96kbps, but given the choice between the two, I always choose 320kbps.

Edited by Deathmineral

Depends where I am...

Main PC (speakers): FLAC -> X-Fi XtremeMusic ("hotrodded") -> M-Audio Studiophile AV-40

Main PC (headphones): FLAC -> X-Fi XtremeMusic ("hotrodded") -> M³ Class A amp -> K701 hardnrg mod

Laptop (headphones): FLAC -> AMB gamma1 DAC -> M³ Class A amp -> K701 hardnrg mod

HTPC (speakers): FLAC -> Audigy2 ZS (LM4562/Blackgate) -> Technics Class A amp -> Canon passive sub -> Tannoy bookshelfs

Car (speakers): CD or USB MP3 -> Sony headunit -> JBL speakers

Portable: FLAC -> Cowon iAudio X5L -> Westone UM2 (Shure tri-flange bi-flanged)

DJ: Vinyl -> Ortofon Concord Elektro -> Technics SL-1200 Mk2 -> Vestax VMC-002 -> Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Sound-tech: (whatever mixer) -> Sennheiser HD25-1 II

For source media, I have vinyl, tapes, CDs, MP3s, FLAC and some DVDs (DTS/AC3). Primarily I listen to FLAC because I'm lazy and want the convenience of a jukebox without the compromise of sound quality.

As for my preferences - it obviously depends on where I am.

At work I have a pair of Antec Powered Partners - still the best damn computer speakers for the money, period.

At home I usually listen on my home theater - Harmon Kardon receiver, Polk CS1 center, Cerwin Vega E712 S2 left/right mains, some random Advent bookshelf speakers (that are turned off for music listening), and a bigass 6ft tall sub I built tuned to ~20 Hz. The sub is usually off when listening to music unless I'm throwing a party. :biggrin:

In the car I have the stock premium stereo that Chevy offers in the Cobalt SS with upgraded 12" subs in infinite baffle off of the stock amp. It sounds surprisingly good.

I miss my old system though - 2000+ watts (over half of which were front stage) of amazingly loud and clear tunes in my poor old Lumina. R.I.P. :P All this stuff: http://people.clemson.edu/~dbonnie/HT/DSC00309.JPG was crammed into there. God it sounded good. :D

Well, since we're getting technical:

Surround sound system:

Source: Oppo BDP-83 connected via the discrete multi-channel outputs, capable of playing CD, SACD, DVD, DVD-A, Blu-Ray discs

Amplifier: Yamaha RX-V563, 90 watts to each channel, currently in a 5.1 setup

Can't tell you much about the front speakers though, as we found and repaired them, me and my dad, so I can't be too specific. They're three way and it was their 10in woofers we replaced.

Computer sound system:

Source: integrated audio and high quality mp3 files

Amplifier (because I didn't do the whole "Computer Speaker System" thing that meant I couldn't switch out and upgrade components): Pyle Pro PTA Stereo Power Amplifier

Speakers: Polkaudio Monitor30 Series II two way speakers

Portable sound system:

Source: Creative Zen or iPod Touch (4th gen)

Headphones: Variable, packaged Apple ear-phones, Koss KSC75 clip-on ear-phones, or Koss Pro 4AAAT fullsize headphones

I also have a simple micro stereo system, but I only use that for going to sleep, not to actually listen to the music.

Through beats by dre headphones I love em make everything sound so much better. I used to use my zune in my car but i grabbed a nice Kenwood/Garmin GPS deck with USB so i just pop in my mem stick or external hard drive in. i got fed up with picking up other peoples signals over mine when i had the zune plugged into the lighter socket