How do you listen to music

Spiritinthesky

How do you listen to music? MP3 player, iPhone, radio, internet, vinyl?

If the 50’s and 60's were the era of the record, in the 70's we had tape, (lovely 8-tracks and cassettes!), and the Sony Walkman, then CD's in the 80’s and now MP3's.

This Day in Music is running a poll to find out how you listen to your music.

If you fancy having a vote http://tinyurl.com/tdimpoll

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From PC: Zune software + cheap Logitech Speakers/Sunrise Sw-Xcape/Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

From Car: Zune into car stereo

From Mobile: Zune + Sunrise Sw-Xcape

Old Zune 30GB, built like a tank :D

Edited by Krazyxazn

the MP3 sucks as bad as the rip. if you get a good bitrate rip, the MP3 can be just as good as the CD

Agreed that with a good bit-rate we may not notice much of a difference in quality between MP3 and WAV (even though there is still is a loss of audio quality no matter how high the bit-rate) but the problem is the amount of memory each song takes up gets larger as the bitrate goes up.

Agreed that with a good bit-rate we may not notice much of a difference in quality between MP3 and WAV (even though there is still is a loss of audio quality no matter how high the bit-rate) but the problem is the amount of memory each song takes up gets larger as the bitrate goes up.

With the cost of HDDs today that's essentially a mute point. Even with 256 Kbps MP3s (which are essentially CD quality) the average $60 HDD can hold more than you'll ever own (1.5 TB / ~10 MB song == 150,000+ songs).

When at home I listen to my CD/SACD's through my sound system, without extra processing (if it didn't have a center channel I don't want a center channel). Sometimes I'll pull out my studio quality headphones, but normally I keep to my 3-way speakers with their 10in woofers.

When I'm not at home I'll use an mp3 player. Either my Creative Zen or my iPod Touch. I do rip my audio at the best quality I can and use a variable bit rate to keep the size down, so it doesn't take up too much room for me. Also, I've got just under 8GB of music right now anyway, so I have plenty of room for the higher bit rates.

Car

Alpine head unit, Alpine Amp, Pioneer speakers

Home

Pioneer A/V Receiver

Cerwin Vega sub and loudspeakers

MP3's / CDs / Vinyl

PC

Creative xFI Titanium

Altec Lansing sub and satellite speakers or cheapo Turtlebeach headphones

I'm not really an audiophile though. Most of my digital collection is in MP3 format.