neddamttocs

Backup Method and Frequency

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you backup your files?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How frequently do you backup your files?

• Once a year
    • Once a month
    • Once a week
    • Once an hour
    • What are you talking about, i continually backup my files!
    • Whenever i feel like it
    • (select this one if you said no above)

I have 2 computer of my own, and a server. Each of my computers and my server has a 4 disk RAID 10 array. I ensure that each RAID 10 array on my computers are all backed up to each other.

For my main OS, which are on SSD's, I use Acronis Home True Image and back them up usually once a month (or whenever I feel like it), which are then stored on my RAID 10 arrays. Just to be safe, I put all of my storage in a WD Caviar Black 1TB that's pretty much offline unless I'm updating it.

I voted No.... I just run RAID 10 on my main rig system drive and RAID 5 on my NAS... but then I remembered why I run RAID at all, because of the heartache of data loss in the past...

This topic prompted me to make a proper backup of my music and images collection, probably for the first time in like... 5 years?

Ultimately, when I can afford it, I'll set up duplicate NAS systems, possibly with a remote backup... but man, there are so many things on the list of essential (non-computer) stuff to buy before I blow £5000+ on backup/redundant/remote data storage lol

I don't have any sympathy for people who don't back up and lose all their photos, etc. Backing up is simple and it is common knowledge that hardware fails. I'd like a buck for every time I had somebody bring me a computer with a toasted drive and then are mad at me because I can't wave a magic wand and get their data back. Of course they also won't cough up the cash to send the drive out to salvage the data. In most cases the drive failed over time and just got harder and harder to boot. Cry me a river.

Once per week on all of my photos, music, emails, favorites, bookmarks and movie collection.

I just do a backup of my storage drive over to an external 1Tb drive. I do it manually using Comodo 2 (free).

You can create a backup schedule if you want to use their compression and file extension method.

I just do a simple file backup - accordingly I have to trigger the backup manually. Really no problem though as Comodo

allows you to create backup profiles. Create you profile once, and then just click it after you've opened up the app.

Very sweet backup utility - especially considering the price.

I find it odd that 7 people voted that they don't back up their files but 9 people selected the option "(select this one if you said no above)".

I usually backup my important files but I do it manually. They don't get updated that often. I don't really have much on my computer that I would be upset about losing.

I try to back everything up at least once a month, but sometimes it's a little less often. I do need to make room on my backup drive because it is nearly full. :lol:

I use a program called Allway sync to on the fly backup data to my NAS. Great little program.

I back up to an external 1TB drive. i selected whenever i feel like it because i usually backup close to 3 monthly, other times it can be monthly or even extend out to 6 monthly if im too busy / lazy / forget

When I need I feel to :P

ups..

When I feel I need to..

(not english spoken lolz)

Edited by loco_frags

I find it odd that 7 people voted that they don't back up their files but 9 people selected the option "(select this one if you said no above)".

I usually backup my important files but I do it manually. They don't get updated that often. I don't really have much on my computer that I would be upset about losing.

LoL, nice catch on the voting! It's 9 "don't" and 11 "sd no" now!

But, man every single photo I have is digital on my PC. I had a drive go out, lost almost 3 years worth of picture memories. That was a long time ago, and I will never get burnt on drives going out again ;) The programs, games, OS's, ect....those can all be re-downloaded! The priceless pics and home movies, they can't be ;)