Sign in to follow this  
Nadger

Odd Front USB Boot Problem

Okay this has to be some sort of grounding issue, but im not sure where to begin.

After a lot of troubleshooting why my computer would turn on, and reboot right after/in the middle of post, then reboot over and over, I now know the exact cause. Unless at least 1 of my 2 front USB ports are connected to my motherboard the computer will not boot. I can literally just plug it in, and it works fine. Unplug it and it will no longer boot.

Any ideas on where to start?

The reason i don't want my front USB ports hooked up is they cause a lot of audio feedback noise through my mic while in teamspeak/mumble/vent.

I have not yet tried just taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together, was hoping someone might have a suggestion.

Thanks

Never heard of anything like this.

Check if anything is shorting out the mobo or if it's touching the case anywhere that is most likely the problem.

Edited by Black6464

it sounds like a bad earth problem , try unlpugging the 24 pin connector, cleaning and leaving the front ports un-connected, if you have any usb devices plugged in , try unplugging those aswell and reconnecting one by one

remove the motherboard, make sure all the risers are in place

make sure there are no loose PSU cables touching the case or any other ground problems

check the wires on the front panel for bad grounding, usually there is a little wire held to the case with a screw

put the motherboard back and make sure ur PCI cards are in properly and held by the screws

dont connect any of the front panel stuff to the motherboard, usb, sound, mic, etc.

then see if the computer starts up properly

in the bios you may be able to disable certain USB ports? not sure