Brutality

What are the odds...

10th January:

I receive my Transcend aXeRAM 1066MHZ CL5 4gb DDR2 kit. I test them in memtest 3.5a and receive errors (http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=181247&st=0&p=1878977&fromsearch=1entry1878977)

Long story short: I RMA them, they give up and give me my money back.

10th March:

I receive a new pair of Transcend aXeRAM 1066MHZ CL5 4gb DDR2 kit. (I ordered a new pair since I assume I just got some faulty dimms (I tested one of each of the old ones and only one of them failed))

After 3 hours of memtest 3.5a I get errors (big sigh) see attachment

I test one at a time and guess what..... both pass after 12 hours of memtesting......

So is my motherboard faulty now? or do the dimms fail at dual channel?

I will test both in the dual channel slot soon to see if it's the other slot that's gone bad...

I read some reviews about the particular ram kit and I haven't seen anyone have the same problems >_< I guess I'm either horribly unlucky or it's just my motherboard that needs to be exchanged.. meh

What do you guys think?

Cheers - Brutality

My ram did that too, one stick at a time would pass but both together would fail if I had EPP enabled in the bios. Try setting the ram settings manually instead of auto if you have not already.

This happened to my friend's system dual channel would fail and single channel would not. bad motherboard

I guess I need a new motherboard then...

What do you guys suggest? get a socket 775 again or go for a new socket?

just buy a new SB (socket 1155) with i5 2500K and some new DDR3 memory and you will be set for a good while. no need to upgrade the rest right now!

Make sure you get the new B3 stepping on the chipset (the first batch was faulty)

If on tight one budget: Athlon II Quad system

If not: 2500K system

if not pressed for time: searched for forum deals like the one above me

sell your 775 while you can for their overpriced values

just buy a new SB (socket 1155) with i5 2500K and some new DDR3 memory and you will be set for a good while. no need to upgrade the rest right now!

Make sure you get the new B3 stepping on the chipset (the first batch was faulty)

Which chipset?

B65

H61

H67

P67

Q67

Is the i7-2600k better than the i5-2500k? (I'm a gamer, so that's the top priority) Just in case I get some more money on the hands ;)

Oh and socket 1155 > 1366 right?

Edited by Brutality

Which chipset?

B65

H61

H67

P67

Q67

Is the i7-2600k better than the i5-2500k? (I'm a gamer, so that's the top priority) Just in case I get some more money on the hands ;)

Oh and socket 1155 > 1366 right?

i5 2600K is the best bang for you buck IMO and you wont need anything more if your main concern is gaming. If you want to overclock the CPU, which I am assuming you do since your leaning towards the K version of the CPU, then go for the P67 chipset.

While still awesome, I don't think that 1155 > 1366 mainly because the chipsets used by the 1366 pin mobos allows a higher PCIe bandwidth, triple channel memory (while this is somewhat of a moot point as it isn't that much better than dual channel) and supports the 980x/990x CPUs which are still better than SB CPUs.

BUT the 1366 socket is dieing off slowly with the development of 2011 socket processors, first generation i7s can't overclock as high as SB CPUs and there aren't many chips which beat the SB's performance below the $1000 mark. So I would still go with SB.

Edited by Alexandre