Where to mount additional fans on the Coolermaster Centurion 5

Hi,

I ordered the Coolermaster Centurion 5 and found that there is only one 80mm and one 120mm fan

i doubt that would be cool enough for overclocking my 5830 and i5 2500k

where can i mount addtional fans?

in the 5.25 bay? on the side panel?

Or any modding suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

The side panel is always good for a 200mm fan.

You can also buy a fan for the 5.25" bays.

I've added my own 180mm fan mounts.

I did it horribly, but it still worked.

All I did was use a screwdriver and drill in 4 holes, then smaller holes inside for the air.

Best way to achieve a good air flow in a case is to have fan(s) in the front that pull air in the case, and fan(s) in the back that push it out. Side panel fans aren't as effective since all they do is cool whatever is in the vicinity. Hot air is kept longer inside that way since it doesn't have a clear direction. If you have fans in the front and the back, don't think that a side panel fan will be even better since it messes up the air flow.

To get the most out of that case I would suggest an 80mm fan up front. You may have to remove the front lower 3.5" bays but that will be worth it so long as you are not using many hard drives. After that you can mount a better 120mm

After that place a 120mm fan in the side as an intake fan.

There is also the Lian li pci slot coolers that can be used as an intake or exhaust that you could get and use.

If you want to mod a window into your case then Frozen CPU makes Case windows that have 120mm fan slot. they make a couple of different shapes, sizes and colors so be selective. If there is one that will allow you to mount a fan near the front of the case then I would get that window pane.

if you really want to modify the case itself take a holesaw to the front of the case and mount a 120mm fan in the front (they make templets if you need one at mod shops)

If there is room for it you could also make a hole in the top and mount a blow hole between the PCU and the front 5.25" bays.

Thats all for now. and worse case if you wanted I'd do it for a price. :D

Just to make sure... do you have this This case, or This one?

And this would be to get the templets MNPCTECH.com

Edited by boinker
Oops O_o

Thanks for advice...

The one i have is this one

Centurion-5.jpg

I think the best way is drilling two holes (120mm) each on the top and bottom

and one 220mm on the side panel...

How do i cover those holes so they dont look so strange?

They make 120mm mesh fan grilles. I'm not so sure about the 220mm fan but I can find out in a minute. :)

You could drill a huge hole and mount This monster in the side of the case. :whistling:

But me personally I would rather see the case side modded to accept a window and a pair of 120's put into place. It will be more time consuming BUT it will look alot better then that Monster 260mm fan taking up the entire side of the case and protruding out of it.

But after looking at that case some more I would have too get it in front of me to know what can be done with it. Defiantly put a blowhole in it though. That will assist the PSU in getting the Hot air at the top out and help the air come in.

Luck has it, that I'm modding the same exact case. I'm still in the planning mode, too.

My plan (so far):

Drilling one 120mm hole at the top above the PSU, which will give some cooler intake air for the PSU rather than taking it from the inside of the case (since it's mounted at the top rear).

Drill another 120mm hole in the middle of the top to give it another exhaust.

Extend the legs of the case by another half inch or a full inch. Drill a 120mm hole at the bottom and place a 120mm intake fan with a mesh cover.

Drill another 120mm hole in the side cover to the right of the 80mm fan for another intake.

There's already an 80mm fan on the side as an intake. The rear case fan will be an exhaust.

I'm not sure how it's going to be cooled, water or air. If water, I'll just be rear-mounting it by drilling two tube holes in the back below the 120mm fan.

You know I would almost opt for a H70 in that case. Just make the cooling the Proc alot more taken care off and the only thing you would have to strain about is keeping air moving around in the case... my thoughts. :D