System re-Build?

fmajor007

Hi everyone,

I've got a big problem and need some advice. BTW, i'm the 'poster-boy' for NEWB!!!

I have an older PC (2009 build) and need to buy new HDD's.

Here's the reason. I was away from home and took my 2 HDD's out (OS=300GB Velociraptor storage=1TB WD Black Caviar) as well my software folder (ALL my programs) to store them at my co-workers house until i returned from my 3-month work time back in the States. My co-workers house was broken into and a bunch of stuff was stolen - including my HDD's and software folder.

I lost it ALL.

Meanwhile, the remainder of my PC is here at home - everything except the HDD's and software.

I will replace the HDD's and load up Windows 7, but how do i configure everything without the original CD's?

Thanks!!!

Edited by fmajor007

Data/pics/vids were all backed up on my external drive.

No financial records? Credit details,details of your assets / household etc? They can be used to steal identity and target your house for the next burg.

Edited by dihartnell

Nope, financial records (acct's/institutions/etc) i keep elsewhere (online) - no docs/pw's/acct #'s there at all.

The HDD's were at my co-workers house here and all my financial assets are in the States so no chance for identity theft. I've been there before from a stolen checkbook - no problems - i'm a 'financial' person and diligent with my accounts/security and am able to resolve these types of problems reasonably quickly. Account lock-outs and changed pw's are generally simple matters to rectify.

All the same, it does raise my 'awareness'.

So, any ideas RE: my original post?

Anyone?

I don't know what your asking in your first post. Even if you don't have the CDs do you still have the keys for your software? If not theres nothing else you can do except buy everything again. :dunno:

Nope, financial records (acct's/institutions/etc) i keep elsewhere (online) - no docs/pw's/acct #'s there at all.

The HDD's were at my co-workers house here and all my financial assets are in the States so no chance for identity theft. I've been there before from a stolen checkbook - no problems - i'm a 'financial' person and diligent with my accounts/security and am able to resolve these types of problems reasonably quickly. Account lock-outs and changed pw's are generally simple matters to rectify.

All the same, it does raise my 'awareness'.

So, any ideas RE: my original post?

Anyone?

I'm happy for you! Really smart taking care of that stuff!

@gotdamojo06 - thanks for the HDD suggestions. I'm ordering a 300GB Velociraptor (OS and Apps) and 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDDs to store everything else. BTW, I'm from MI also - where you from?

@Black6464 - Thanks for helping clarify my needs/question. I'll try to be more clear....

OK, what i'm asking is "how do i configure all the components of my PC if i don't have all the drivers/setup CDs for these components like the GPU, mobo, CD/DVD drives, monitor, etc?"

Would all the settings for these components need to be re-configured when i put in the new HDD's and OS?

I'm thinking it's pretty much like a completely new PC b/c i'll be adding new HDD's and OS (from a software perspective)- right?

My friend assembled/configured my rig and shipped it to me so i'll be reading the "How to successfully build a computer" sticky!!!!

Help!

@gotdamojo06 - thanks for the HDD suggestions. I'm ordering a 300GB Velociraptor (OS and Apps) and 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDDs to store everything else. BTW, I'm from MI also - where you from?

@Black6464 - Thanks for helping clarify my needs/question. I'll try to be more clear....

OK, what i'm asking is "how do i configure all the components of my PC if i don't have all the drivers/setup CDs for these components like the GPU, mobo, CD/DVD drives, monitor, etc?"

Would all the settings for these components need to be re-configured when i put in the new HDD's and OS?

I'm thinking it's pretty much like a completely new PC b/c i'll be adding new HDD's and OS (from a software perspective)- right?

My friend assembled/configured my rig and shipped it to me so i'll be reading the "How to successfully build a computer" sticky!!!!

Help!

Im in a smaller town right outside of Flint, what about you?

for the GTX 285, go here and select all of the required info from the drop downs, I would send a link but not sure what OS you are going to be using...

for the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, go here and go to the download tab and you will be able to find all of your downloads that you need for your motherboard such as an updated BIOS, Chipset, Audio, LAN, and SATA drivers. you will also be able to find a bunch of utilities here, like TurboV so you can overclock in Windows :)

and yes, it would be just like putting together a new computer, as far as software goes, when you are replacing all of the HDDs

you may want to check out that seagate drive I suggested, it is SATA 6.0Gb/s with a 64MB Cache instead of the 3.0Gb/s and the 32MB Cache...just a suggestion if you havnt purchased...not sure if you were planning on putting the 2x1TB drives in RAID or not and Im not even 100% sure if they would be faster than the seagate then...just something to consider

anything else, just ask