Bosco's in a Giving Mood

Bosco

Yay! Giving mood! Those are fun. I've been in a giving mood for $875 dollars over the past year, and have a plan for another few hundred (might build a computer to give away at school). I may have one advantage over you though, most of my gifts I've been able to personalize, which you can't so easily do with us, and that really does help make it fun. Still, it is fun to give.

Do you think you need more than 500w Andrew or is it just an old PSU?

OC'd X3220 (Q6600), Slightly OC'd 8800GTS, 5 harddrives and a few sticks of memory.

PSU calculators range from 420W to 550+ watts, most PSUs are designed to run below 80% capacity as well.

So I think I'd be coming close to maxing this one out if I started adding much more.

OC'd X3220 (Q6600), Slightly OC'd 8800GTS, 5 harddrives and a few sticks of memory.

PSU calculators range from 420W to 550+ watts, most PSUs are designed to run below 80% capacity as well.

So I think I'd be coming close to maxing this one out if I started adding much more.

Yeah I got around 380w on the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator. But remember those calculated wattages are slightly over estimated and only show full load values, so your system will probably idle way lower than that - probably around 150-200w. I'm running my system with a 5850 fine on my 550w :)

You got a killawat reader? I am curious to know exactly how much you system will draw (what can I say? - I'm studying electrical/electronic engineering, I'm into this sort of stuff :P)

Edited by Alexandre

Yeah I got around 380w on the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator. But remember those calculated wattages are slightly over estimated and only show full load values, so your system will probably idle way lower than that - probably around 150-200w. I'm running my system with a 5850 fine on my 550w :)

Good point, I guess for some reason i was thinking it would be max load all the time.

I'm sure it IS closer to 200W @ idle but still when run to full capacity I bet it still comes close to 450ish.

You got a killawat reader? I am curious to know exactly how much you system will draw (what can I say? - I'm studying electrical/electronic engineering, I'm into this sort of stuff :P)
Sadly I don't have a Killawatt but I've been meaning to get one for about 5 years or so.

:P

@ bowtie - Thats really good advice... but no I don't live under a tree.. even though tons of people do, whats really wrong with that?

The main power line lived next to one though, nothing I could do about that..

I think it's actually: "Use a surge protector" if I am understanding what happened correctly.... *thoughtful face*

Everything I had was hooked up to 3 separate surge protectors.. *blank stare at your stupid face aaaaand blink*

It sent more than one surge, there were waves of them ranging with intensity and i'm guessing the silly wiwl surge protectors wern't enough for that kind of power.

Shiz was like the poltergeist. 'Cept it ate my appliances not my family.

I can still hear them screaming.