New build... New OS

Demo3

My question is this, I will be installing Windows 7 on a new drive of my new build and I have a full version of Windows XP on CD. Am I going to have to install XP on that new drive before I can install Windows 7? Of course this will be a clean install, don't care to bring anything over.

Depends on what windows 7 version you have. Is it the Upgrade version? If so then yes you will need to install windows XP before Windows 7 so that you can use your key. If it is the full version then just install Windows 7 straight onto the drive without worrying about XP :)

Yep... I was referring to an upgrade version of Windows 7. I was hoping that somewhere in the install of 7 that it was just going to as me to put in the Windows XP CD. Thanks.

Yep... I was referring to an upgrade version of Windows 7. I was hoping that somewhere in the install of 7 that it was just going to as me to put in the Windows XP CD. Thanks.

Well what it will do, if you do a clean install, is not allow you to active windows saying "The update key you have does not allow you to active a clean install" or something similar. Your DVD has all the right software as a full version would, the only problem is your key.

A trick that worked when 7 first released was to do a clean install with the upgrade but do NOT give the key. Then after the install is done go to register and it will ask for the key, should work fine. Another way around this is to do the Windows 7 install (which is quicker than XP) and then do the upgrade from within the base Windows 7 install.

A trick that worked when 7 first released was to do a clean install with the upgrade but do NOT give the key. Then after the install is done go to register and it will ask for the key, should work fine. Another way around this is to do the Windows 7 install (which is quicker than XP) and then do the upgrade from within the base Windows 7 install.

Oh yeah... I remember that now. I remember that from an old Maximum PC article that came out when the new OS came out. You can do that because they give you something like 30 days to try it out... just wait a few days the register.

I do pay for my operating systems so I would have a valid key.

Yeah I know this trick too but I was hesitant to put it on this forum as it is very uncertain whether this method is in violation of the windows 7 upgrade license and hence didn't want to endorse it due to forum rules.

I have done that before on a fairly early disk. I have also been able to install 64bit software with a 32 bit key using the same method with Vista. Just have to make sure you install the correct version of windows.

I have done that before on a fairly early disk. I have also been able to install 64bit software with a 32 bit key using the same method with Vista. Just have to make sure you install the correct version of windows.

There are no 32 or 64 bit 'keys' for windows. The same key installs either version of windows - well at least for windows vista and 7.

I agree . This is exactly how I have loaded Win7.