UT66

speculation regarding next gen consoles

When the Xbox 360 was released in 2005 how did the specs compare to computers at the time? That should give us an idea on what to expect with the next console.

Xbox 360 - November 22, 2005

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU •3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz

•2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total

•1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total

•128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread

•1 MB L2 cache

Custom ATI Graphics Processor •500 MHz

•10 MB embedded DRAM

•48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines

•Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance •500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate •16 gigasamples per second fillrate using 4X MSAA

Shader Performance •48 billion shader operations per second

Memory •512 MB GDDR3 RAM

•700 MHz DDR

•Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth •22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth

•256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM

•21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance •1 TFLOP

while 4gb or 8gb of RAM would be great for consoles in reducing load times etc. it would force PCs to get atleast 8GB or more given that you have to run an OS and other programs as well as the game.

while 4gb or 8gb of RAM would be great for consoles in reducing load times etc. it would force PCs to get atleast 8GB or more given that you have to run an OS and other programs as well as the game.

He makes a pretty good point, if consoles had 8gb of memory in them that would probably bring the requirements up a great deal for PC gamers considering how much is used just from our OS, anti-virus, steam, or whatever other software is in the background, and the memory usage of Windows OSs only seems to go up as newer ones come out, not to mention a lot of software on computers doesn't handle memory well either *cough* firefox *cough*. Also seems to me that this would drive up prices for PC gamers, and while memory might not be the most expensive part in a computer at the moment, I think if you needed 12gb or 16gb... it'd certainly be competing for that title.

He makes a pretty good point, if consoles had 8gb of memory in them that would probably bring the requirements up a great deal for PC gamers considering how much is used just from our OS, anti-virus, steam, or whatever other software is in the background, and the memory usage of Windows OSs only seems to go up as newer ones come out, not to mention a lot of software on computers doesn't handle memory well either *cough* firefox *cough*. Also seems to me that this would drive up prices for PC gamers, and while memory might not be the most expensive part in a computer at the moment, I think if you needed 12gb or 16gb... it'd certainly be competing for that title.

exactly. and when you consider some of the family PCs that most teens get to game on are the store bought ones with tons of bloatware that cost them 2x as much to build yourself. I know most people have their reasons i.e. not being as tech savy as all of us and cant build one themselves or even just the warranty element. imagine how much they'd be charged by your local electronics store for a pc with 8gb of ram. i know overhere for a store bought core i5 with 4gb of ram will set you back like $1200. you'd be likely be looking at 200 more for that extra 4gb.

Next gen won't be for a couple years from what I understand. So I don't see 8gb ram being that far fetched. 4gb is the standard for computers now correct?

There are a bunch of rumours out for the new Nintendo console as well.

amd fusion seems very likely since amd can help microsoft by offering them tips and stuff on how to optimise gpu and cpu to work together nicely!

I'm sorry Deathmineral for confusing you or something!

ya they dropped prices on wii too!

probably the will use the trinity apu though for the hyperthreading thing... i wonder if it'll have turbocore for those moments?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

There are a bunch of rumours out for the new Nintendo console as well.

triple core 700mhz POS CPU probably :lol:

Next gen won't be for a couple years from what I understand. So I don't see 8gb ram being that far fetched. 4gb is the standard for computers now correct?

I would say that depends on the computer we're talking about. Personally, my computer is mainly used for gaming and 4gb really isn't enough for me, I would say 6 or 8 is the standard now. Also, I'm pretty sure the standard for computers around the time of the 360's release was something like 2gb, that's what I had anyway, and it worked fine by then, so in six years that's really only doubled or tripled I'd say. However if 8gb became the standard for consoles, which let's say releases in 2 years, then the standard requirements for games on the PC would either sky rocket or they would have to tone down games for PC gamers to play them if we're still stuck at 4, 6, or 8gb at the time. I honestly think you would need around 12gb or more, especially if we started using those new APUs like Dan is saying, personally I don't see those taking off though.